Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pronunciations

#1 User is offline   The Writer 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:15 AM

I don't know about any of you, but I can't get a pronunciation I'm happy with for Tiste Andii. I just can't call them the "Tist Andy". It just sounds wrong in my head. So does my alternate pronunciation: "TIST-eh an-DYE-ee". Is there an official pronunciation? I've yet to come across one.

#2 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:25 AM

It's "Tist". Not sure about Andii, though. I'm sure I could comb through Erikson interviews to find it.

I wouldn't worry too much about pronunciation, though. What really matters is it sounding good to you. Half the people I know (and probably half the people on this forum) pronounce Malazan wrong (first a is soft, second hard).
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#3 User is offline   The Writer 

• Recruit

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:27 AM

mah-LA-zuhn? If that's the case I have been pronouncing it wrong. I thought it was MAL-uh-ZAN.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:51 AM

It makes more sense when you think of it as an extension of Malaz, but I still pronounce it wrong anyway.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

Just look for a video/audio interview of SE and you'll hear plenty. IIRC he pronounces it Mal-AY-zuhn (and it was a terrible, terrible shock to hear it).

For the other names, i go with a completely random mix of latin and english pronounciations, whatever seems to fit better, and the results are often kinda weird but who cares :p
For example, i use latin for Anomander (Uh-know-muhn-der , with "der" like the german article) and english for Rake.
For the tiste andii i go full latin (Tea-stay Uhn-dee).

Edit: couple corrections

This post has been edited by Tehol the Only: 27 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

We are the Vord. Prepare to be assimilated. Furycrafting is futile.

#6 User is offline   The Writer 

• Recruit

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

Tehol the Only, on 27 May 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

Just look for a video/audio interview of SE and you'll hear plenty. IIRC he pronounces it Mal-AY-zuhn (and it was a terrible, terrible shock to hear it).

For the other names, i go with a completely random mix of latin and english pronounciations, whatever seems to fit better, and the results are often kinda weird but who cares :p
For example, i use latin for Anomander (Uh-know-muhn-der , with "der" like the german article) and english for Rake.
For the tiste andii i go full latin (Tea-stay Uhn-dee).

Edit: couple corrections

I've only had a little bit of time today to watch youtube videos, but already he's rocked my world a bit. He talked about "dah-ROO-jist-AN". I always said it in my head "DAH-roo-HEES-tan". Hearing him pronounce it that way, I'm now 90% certain that at least the southern cities of Genebackis are meant to look Arabic.

#7 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

I've always considered Southern Genebackis as more Byzantine/Ottoman. Malaz is a take on the height of the Roman Empire. RAFO quite soon for a more Arabic setting. Either way, I don't think there are many geographic-cultural similarities to our earth, but more of a cherry-picked kind of thing.

The real pronunciation is and always will be strange to me, but now that I know the correct way, when I introduce the books to new readers I pronounce it properly, but when I read it myself I say it the old and comfy way that I first used.

Also, I've never said Tiste-ay. Just "Teest". And then ahn-DEE. And it's BASS-in-jur. Kim BASS-in-jur.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#8 User is offline   fluteboy 

• Piper of High House Uilleann
  • Interests:Irish trad music, reading, writing, cooking, normal human stuff, Malazan Book of the Fallen;)

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:05 AM

IIRC, SE says "Tiste" as rhyming with "Tight". I could be wrong. He has also said he doesn't really care how folks want to pronounce names in the series and that he and ICE actually differ on many pronunciations. I generally pronounce "Andii" as "AHN-dee", more or less.

#9 User is offline   Zadakeem 

• Corporal

Posted 19 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

Wow, I say a lot wrong. O_O I feel like I did when I finally heard Hermione Grangers name...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users