Malazan Empire: Like Always - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Like Always

#1 User is offline   OberynM 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Fantasy,anime,history,JAPAN:))

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:18 AM

Like always after i finish a book i holla at my malazan regulars ...This being the case here goes:

1.WTF is up with the Skinner coward that SE and ICE were putting in very high regard all through the books ..?He seems pathetic at best and maybe the only attribute he doesnt lack is minding after his bretheren..

2.Malazan World is a intricate web of schemes ,plot,dialogue lines that could lead to everything and sometimes nothing..ICE seems to be keeping to the latter...I thought he wasted a lot of pages with useless description and information that didnt add up in the end.

3.Toc the Elder should have been more consistent in the book.We only hear about him from stories other are mentioning and besides passion for the seti invasion NOTHING.Grim end for him though he died where he wanted(PLAINS)

4.Mallick's part is infuriating ..i hate that damn weasel (guess at some point i see him teaming up with HOC AND CG-might be a blatant error)

5.Lasseen should be more covered even in her death as she...well ruled an empire.

6.Traveller's part and Kyle were awesome

7.Crimson Guard epic group besides the fact that K'azz is presented kinda weak

8.Li Heng situation and Ryllandaras is tear jerking especially with Storo death

Honorable mention Possum's end book sadness

Left a number of situations out (Shadow,Dancer Traveller,Father LIght moment) and many more .

A warm embrace to all my malazan comrades ,to ICE and SE and all fans across the world.WE ARE BROTHER AND WE ARE LEGION.

#2 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:11 AM

1. I was disappointed with Skinner as well. In fact, I thought Cowl was infinitely more interesting.

2. Yeah, ICE was everywhere with this one. I think it could have greatly benefited from some serious editing. Granted, I've only read the book once, but I don't think I could tell you a consistent idea/theme in it. Too much led nowhere.

3. It was cool to meet him, but I was kind of indifferent. I felt the Ghelel plotline was underdeveloped.

4. Yeah, he's a bastard.

5. I have to disagree here. I like how she was handled, I thought it was very fitting. I'm sure we were all expecting her to die a grand death if she ever went down. Given her tenuous grasp on the empire, and considering how she "disposed" of her predecessors, I liked the way her assassination worked out.

6. While I wasn't the biggest fan of Kyle as a character, his parts were great. Plus his name just seemed out of place, I wonder if there are lots of Steves and Bills and Erics on Bael or wherever it was he's from.

7. Yeah, K'azz really failed to impress. I think this was just poor writing really; the discovery of him and the subsequent reveal could have been handled in a much more effective manner.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#3 User is offline   Seiko 

• Pretentious Plebeian

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

1. Meh, outside beating the crap out of Greymane and having the favour returned by Traveller, he really didn't feature very much. He's at least somewhat more interesting/human in later appearances. The journey with Cowl was fun, though. He's certainly different than what most imagined him to be, but I don't think he came off as cowardly.

2. Unfortunately it doesn't really get better in that regard. Well, maybe that's a little unfair to ICE, but it's still rampant in later novels.

3. I guess. I was never really that interested in him to begin with.

4. I'm sure most do. I think the Empire is in capable hands under him, though.

5. True dat.

6. Traveller is always cool, but, well, I really didn't find his stuff particularly interesting in this. Besides the standoff with Osserc. Awesome.

7. A huge problem for me is that the Crimson Guard are ICE's bridgeburners, have an intriguing history, but, kickass names aside, they're bland as hell. Seriously. The only person of any real interest to me was Cowl. Bars in Midnight Tides was great.

8. Don't remember too much about it, been a while since I've read this. I'm guessing I didn't care for it much though since the details escape me.

#4 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

ICE dropped a hint in the recent TOR Q&A that 'Kyle' might be the shortened form of a longer name. i suppose you could say he's never told it to anyone in the books because he doesn't know anyone in the books well enough. perhaps when ASSAIL is released we'll find out that 'Kyle' is short for 'Kylendaras Tes'Thusula', lost scion of Kallor Eidorann Tes'Thusula and heir to throne of high house badassery. i mean, the guys DOES (oh god, such maniacal spoilering going on within these spoiler tags)
Spoiler

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#5 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:04 PM

I don't think you can call anyone who willingly fights Greymane and Dassem Ultor in quick succession cowardly.

#6 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 05 June 2013 - 11:59 AM

View Postthe broken, on 19 April 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

I don't think you can call anyone who willingly fights Greymane and Dassem Ultor in quick succession cowardly.

Very hard to argue that point!

#7 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

I think I'll call someone wearing unbreakable armour a giant scaredy-cat all I want.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#8 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

I'd wear unbreakable armor if I could, if I was going to get hit by a bunch of sword-wielding badasses.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users