Malazan Empire: Publication date, speculation and synopsis - Malazan Empire

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Publication date, speculation and synopsis Sept 2015! Wait, no, Jan 2016!!!, no, wait... APRIL

#1 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:02 PM

Woo-hoo!

Jan 2nd 2014 according to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0593062191
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#2 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Awesome, can't wait. And if that page count is correct that puts it at about 100 pages longer than Forge of Darkness. Can't complain about that.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#3 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

Nice. I liked FoD a lot so I'm pretty excited about Fall of Light.

#4 User is offline   Ruthan Good 

• Magi House 94

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

It's a very nice!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2GoCvuu0dlQ
I don't have time to consider things I have to consider.

#5 User is offline   Cyclorrhapha 

• Corporal

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

Sooo looking forward to this, can't wait for FoL + Assail novel from ICE.

#6 User is offline   mostly.harmless 

• Corporal

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:04 PM

5th June, 2014 now: http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/0593062191

#7 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:21 AM

As posted on the Hotlist, I got in touch with Simon Taylor, SE's editor, and as things stand Amazon is right. . .

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#8 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Erikson's recent response to a query on Tor.com:

Hello everyone. So, if we’re to follow the pattern, I usually begin with a preamble of sorts, before responding to your specific questions. It’s kind of a warm-up for me, a way of grounding myself, so hopefully you’ll indulge me… After a summer of travel I am now back in Victoria, settling into the daily routine of work on Fall of Light, the second book in the Kharkanas Trilogy. It’s proved a bit of a beast, to be honest. I had intended to run parallel storylines (Jaghut and Tiste), only to realize that the civil war side (the Tiste storyline) was in itself novel length, never mind the Jaghut war on death. In other words, if I wrote them both as intended, we’d be looking at a two thousand page novel. While readers might like that, the book-binding people would weep. It also occurred to me that I should have known better by now, don’t you think? But then, I’m not used to trilogies. I have an intellectual understanding of the necessary structure, but my appetites for story proved unruly to the constraints.

Well, the decision was made to excise the Jaghut storyline from Fall of Light, and to give it its own distinct work, which may turn out to be a novel, or something somewhat more ambitious (I’m mulling the matter right now, so don’t press me. In any case, I probably won’t ‘announce’ anything anyway, I’ll just do it … whatever that is). Conversely, I could get to the end of Fall of Light, only to find that I can re-insert the Jaghut storyline after all (at say, oh, fifteen hundred pages).

Anyway, these are the mechanics at work at the moment, and with them a certain fugue of confusion. You see, what’s keeping my claws in that Jaghut story, is that it’s a good story, but more to the point, it had a function in the narrative of Fall of Light. Leaving me to wonder, what happens when it’s removed? Fortunately, the book is still in its early stages, so what I write will be composed in a seamless fashion – you won’t sense any gaps, because there aren’t any.

There’s those old workshop challenges echoing in the back of my mind: but what’s the story about? Whose story is it, anyway? And asking those questions is what set me back on track (oh, and one of my advance readers asking them helped, too – thanks, Sharon). The story’s about the effing civil war … isn’t it?

Problem is, Gallan is just as unruly when it comes to creative necessity. I think I just realised that we’re in a bit of a fight, he and I, and that I was the first one to pull out a knife. Now I’m uneasy – who can guess with what he’ll come back at me.

I’ll have a better sense of all this after the novel’s done. The retrospective stance is quick to invent clarity, once the dust settles and the blood drains away, and you can sort of see how you got here from there. So I keep telling myself.

Basically, it's still very early days on Fall of Light. Obviously we know that SE can crank out the book when he gets going, but to still be early in the planning/writing stages and with it not decided or not to include a massive side-story or not, June sounds a little optimistic even for SE at his fastest. I can see this dropping back to late 2014 quite easily.

This post has been edited by Werthead: 06 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#9 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

Unexpected. SE's next book will be his comic SF novel Willfull Child (sic?), which will be released in June 2014.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#10 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

Ooooooh! Non-Malazan SE! The best kind of non-Malazan!
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#11 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:19 AM

June 5th, 2014 now according to Amazon UK.

I'm very interested in seeing how this one turns out. I know in the Toll the Hounds Q&A SE was talking about how the book was getting pretty monstrous in size. I wonder if he was able to contain everything to a single book, or if he had to cut some material to be released elsewhere. From the way it sounded, the Jaghut war on death could be a book of its own.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#12 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 17 November 2013 - 06:00 PM

September 11th, 2014.

First plot synopsis:

Spoiler

#13 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

Really great synopsis.
Spoiler

#14 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostJussi, on 17 November 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

September 11th, 2014.

First plot synopsis:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I was wondering if a mod could either edit or entirely remove the date in the subtitle of the thread. I get a little giddy and subsequently sad when I see the January 14th notice.

#15 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:43 PM

Awesome!
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#16 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

View PostCrustaceous Apt, on 18 November 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

September 11th, 2014.

First plot synopsis:

Spoiler

Spoiler

I was wondering if a mod could either edit or entirely remove the date in the subtitle of the thread. I get a little giddy and subsequently sad when I see the January 14th notice.

Spoiler

There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#17 User is offline   buddhacat 

• Fist

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:02 AM

View PostBlend, on 18 November 2013 - 09:57 PM, said:

View PostCrustaceous Apt, on 18 November 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

September 11th, 2014.

First plot synopsis:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Buddhacat

#18 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

Spoiler

#19 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 19 November 2013 - 06:41 AM

If the last line means the greatest adherent of order, we know that to be the Forkrul Assail. That'd be a brain-warping alliance to behold with K'rul.

However, if the last line means the greatest enemy of order, I believe that to be Tiam - born of draconean chaos. K'rul + Tiam maybe = K'rul's bargain?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#20 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Instant coffee

Posted 19 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

View Postamphibian, on 19 November 2013 - 06:41 AM, said:

However, if the last line means the greatest enemy of order, I believe that to be Tiam - born of draconean chaos. K'rul + Tiam maybe = K'rul's bargain?

I read the "its greatest avowed enemy" as "chaos" right away too. :)

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users