Malazan Empire: Peter Clines (Ex-Heroes series, Threshold series, other stuff) - Malazan Empire

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Peter Clines (Ex-Heroes series, Threshold series, other stuff)

#81 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:38 PM

It's Event Horizon! :D
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#82 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:11 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 09 March 2015 - 04:38 PM, said:

It's Event Horizon! :D

Considering 14 was majorly (and gloriously) Lovecraft, i wouldn't put it past Clines to do a (thoroughly awesome) take on Barker.

(Event Horizon shamelessly grabbed stuff from Barker's Pinhead books/movies)
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#83 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:03 AM

So far I have thoroughly enjoyed everything he has written. And did you know he gives away signed copies of his books to people who are short on cash for the holidays to give as gifts. Nice guy, too.

#84 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

Another great find, thanks Abyss

#85 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:14 PM

Well, guess what's next up on my reading list?

Posted Image
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#86 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:48 PM

Let us know how you like it, I have it on my wish list. ;)

#87 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:12 AM

My full review for The Fold is here, BTW.

Also, Amazon says Oct 6 for Ex-Isle:

Posted Image
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#88 User is offline   firvulag 

• Sergeant

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:15 PM

I've been aware of this series for a while and am really looking forward to reading it, I loved Cline's 14. The only reason I haven't started is that this series hasn't been completed yet. Does anyone know how many books are planned?

Thanks in advance!

#89 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:18 PM

Nope. Clines has never really put a number on it.

While the books do build successively, each has a satisfying end... no cliffhangers to date. I'm a hard-core 'wait til the series is done' reader these days and i've had zero regrets about jumping in circa bk 2.

#90 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 June 2015 - 07:59 PM

Finally started the first book and I'm loving it so far. I really like the "Then" chapters, hearing about the different heroes before they all meet up. I am intrigued to know more about all of the characters.

#91 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:53 PM

Amazon updated, Feb 2 2016 for EX-ISLE.

All is sadness.

#92 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:57 PM

View PostAbyss, on 01 September 2015 - 07:53 PM, said:

Amazon updated, Feb 2 2016 for EX-ISLE.

All is sadness.

At least all of the other books are on sale again for Kindle, ranging from $1.99 to $2.99. Get on it, people.

#93 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:07 PM

Thanks to this thread and the current Amazon sale I purchased these. I'm about 15-20% into book 1 and I am slowly getting sucked in. I love most things post-apocalyptic and I love zombies, not much into superheroes, but I don't dislike them, so this should be right up my alley. I'm a slow reader but this book seems to be going at a much faster pace than I normally read. I'll post impressions as I read them.

#94 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:06 AM

View PostAbyss, on 18 November 2015 - 07:27 PM, said:

View PostChance, on 18 November 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

Soon finished with the Ex-Heroes series but so far not sure I like the premise of the fourth one even thought it is a very entertaining book, any competent gang of apocalypse survivors would have killed the big bad two books ago in a trivial fashion putting on some headphones, loud music and gunning him down (or why not just send in stealth or zap to kill him while he sleeps for that matter). You just don't leave bad guys that terrifyingly powerful alive and free, especially those that aren't terrifyingly powerful if approached the right way.

Come to the ded thread because i don't understand and want to.

I'll wait until I've finished it up, these books usually bring about revelation about why the heroes wheren't as stupid as they seemed or how they where tricked or the circumstances wheren't what they seemed at the time closer to the end :(, just a bit irritaing when working with a power such as Smiths.

This post has been edited by Chance: 19 November 2015 - 04:07 AM

#95 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:31 PM

View PostChance, on 19 November 2015 - 04:06 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 18 November 2015 - 07:27 PM, said:

View PostChance, on 18 November 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

Soon finished with the Ex-Heroes series but so far not sure I like the premise of the fourth one even thought it is a very entertaining book, any competent gang of apocalypse survivors would have killed the big bad two books ago in a trivial fashion putting on some headphones, loud music and gunning him down (or why not just send in stealth or zap to kill him while he sleeps for that matter). You just don't leave bad guys that terrifyingly powerful alive and free, especially those that aren't terrifyingly powerful if approached the right way.

Come to the ded thread because i don't understand and want to.

I'll wait until I've finished it up, these books usually bring about revelation about why the heroes wheren't as stupid as they seemed or how they where tricked or the circumstances wheren't what they seemed at the time closer to the end :(, just a bit irritaing when working with a power such as Smiths.

Wait... your problem is
(bk 2 spoiler)
Spoiler
?

#96 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:15 PM

View PostAbyss, on 19 November 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

Wait... your problem is
(bk 2 spoiler)
Spoiler
?

Yepp it was up until something like the last fifth or so, now I merely belive it is the weakest of the four books. The rest also more or less rest on twists you have poor odds of predicting until it is too late (except perhaps book 2 smith was fishy from scene one), but the twist in this one is just well a bit too far out there. The heroes insane stupidity at the end doesn't really help. They think they are facing smith, they know he can only command people who hear him and they just walk up to him or in stealth's case go up and threaten him/her/it when they find out who is doing the stuff. All in all way weaker then book one or three, quite a bit weaker then book two but still an entertaining book.

Think I'm going for Something More Than Night for my next read.

This post has been edited by Chance: 19 November 2015 - 03:21 PM

#97 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:30 PM

View PostChance, on 19 November 2015 - 03:15 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 19 November 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

Wait... your problem is
(bk 2 spoiler)
Spoiler
?

Yepp it was up until something like the last fifth or so, now I merely belive it is the weakest of the four books. The rest also more or less rest on twists you have poor odds of predicting until it is too late (except perhaps book 2 smith was fishy from scene one), but the twist in this one is just well a bit too far out there. The heroes insane stupidity at the end doesn't really help. They think they are facing smith, they know he can only command people who hear him and they just walk up to him or in stealth's case go up and threaten him/her/it when they find out who is doing the stuff. All in all way weaker then book one or three, quite a bit weaker then book two but still an entertaining book.

Think I'm going for Something More Than Night for my next read.

They couldn't have killed him at the end of 2 as they were busy running away from hordes of zombies and brainwashed supersoldiers iirc.
And the world being what it is they couldn't exactly hunt him down since then.

Regardless i actually agree that its the weakest of the four, albeit still immensely entertaining and a fun part of the series. Did some fun stuff with Stealth and made Corpse Girl even more interesting.

#98 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:13 PM

Think we agree then partially great and entertaining but much less good then the rest.

View PostAbyss, on 19 November 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

They couldn't have killed him at the end of 2 as they were busy running away from hordes of zombies and brainwashed supersoldiers iirc.

It ended up not mattering much but if they have time for massive building projects later, they have the time to send zap on a short spy mission to see whatever smith is up to and if his base of operations (and preferably smith) can be energy blasted at an oportune moment. I know that the books work on superhero comic logic, the good guys don't take offensive and lethal action until the supervillain give them no chance for any other action but to me it comes over as stupidity/naivity in a more complex medium.

This post has been edited by Chance: 19 November 2015 - 04:16 PM

#99 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:00 PM

View PostChance, on 19 November 2015 - 04:13 PM, said:

Think we agree then partially great and entertaining but much less good then the rest.

View PostAbyss, on 19 November 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

It ended up not mattering much but if they have time for massive building projects later, they have the time to send zap on a short spy mission to see whatever smith is up to and if his base of operations (and preferably smith) can be energy blasted at an oportune moment. I know that the books work on superhero comic logic, the good guys don't take offensive and lethal action until the supervillain give them no chance for any other action but to me it comes over as stupidity/naivity in a more complex medium.

Can't say I agree with you.... The books are pretty clear that the world is a mess, Zzap powers the entire refuge, and the construction project involves pretty much everyone with protection in place near the refuge. It's a little more solid than comic book logic. And Smith wasn't such a moron that he would make himself easy to find.

#100 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:23 PM

I was just looking for a release date and came across the blurb for Ex-Isle:

http://peterclines.com/books/ex-isle

EX-ISLE picks up five years after the plague of ex-humans decimated mankind, and the heroes’ expanded base at the Mount is still going strong. One day, while out scouting for survivors living in similar safe zones around the world, the superheroes discover something strange: a large assortment of ships bound together to form a man-made island in the middle of the Pacific. Overjoyed at discovering another group of survivors, St. George leads a small team off to introduce themselves to this new encampment. But the heroes soon realize that there’s something very wrong with this isolated community and its mysterious leader—who may be hiding a secret that could put every survivor in the world at risk.

Couple of questions immediatly come to mind.

Around the world? They're looking outside the US? In that case I assume it is Zap doing around the world loops or something. Don't see how else the people would be traveling far beyond Los Angeles. Unless they got fighter jets up and running.

The fact that the ship-raft thing is in the pacific suggests it is Asian/Oceanic survivors. Suggests we will have some heavy culture clashes.

The mysterious leader, if we consider it's probably not Smith, might be one of the super heroes from outside the US.

I wonder if this will be story like the one where the heroes spent most of their time on the military base. I hope not, I kind of like the evolving camp in Hollywood.

This post has been edited by Apt: 22 November 2015 - 05:25 PM

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users