• You cannot reply to this topic

Kit Soden - Malazan based Poetry Set to Music

#1 User is offline   Hetan 

• Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • View gallery
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:59 PM

Hi all,

Steve thought this might be of interest to you all and therefore I'm posting it on his behalf :-

"Kit Soden is releasing a new album devoted entirely to malazan-based poetry, which he has adapted to music. To accompany this announcement, I offer up the following introduction (if this can be put on the site along with the call-out, that would be much appreciated)...

A couple years back, Kit and Aliza visited me in Falmouth, Cornwall, following a European tour, and my wife and I were privileged to an evening of new songs, performed in our living room, with Kit on guitar and Aliza playing violin.

For some reason, I was initially under the impression that only some of the songs they performed were inspired by Malazan poems from the series, and was startled to be told otherwise. They all were. I think, more than anything else, it was the quality of the transformation that threw me (not to mention my penchant for not recognising what I myself have written).

This album is now or about to be made available and can be ordered online (octobergold.com), and I hope many of you fans of the books will join me in supporting Kit and Aliza."

Sincerely yours
Steven Erikson
"He was not a modest man. Contemplating suicide, he summoned a dragon". (Gothos' Folly)- Gothos

#2 User is offline   mountainkit 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

Thank you Steve, it has really been an honour to set your poems to music.

And thank you to all the Malazan readers and fans, your support has been very important to me :sweat:

The new album, 11 songs all from Malazan poems, was released in July 2013.
Thank you to those who helped out on the indiegogo fundraiser campaign to support the costs of printing/mastering/publicity!

So... the link to the new album is http://octobergold.b...idge-of-the-sun
and the link to the first album of co-writes is http://octobergold.bandcamp.com/album/bridge-of-the-sun

cheers!
Kit (and Aliza) - October Gold
www.octobergold.com

This post has been edited by mountainkit: 29 October 2013 - 02:04 AM

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:13 PM

Actually sounds pretty good, I like the singer's voice. They're Canadian as hell when they talk though.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

I'll definitely be picking this up. Official Malazan music, how cool is that?! :sweat:

#5 User is offline   Sheve 

• Fist

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:13 AM

I hope you will put a "link" to the page and chapter from the poem that the songs are based on?
They may cut your dick in half
And serve it to a pig
And though it hurts, you'll laugh
And dance a dickless jig

#6 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

Cool. Some guy I met at work also said he had a friend making songs based on the Malazan poems...but that was a couple months ago in Victoria BC and not I'm sure if it was the same group of musicians.

#7 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

hey Kit, I've just paid for the Malazan Special - can I get back to you about the poems I would like to submit for your consideration? And, if I submit just one will you agree to put it to music? I don't really fancy leaving the choice in your hands :p

#8 User is offline   mountainkit 

• Recruit

Posted 10 April 2013 - 01:28 AM

View PostMalaclypse, on 09 April 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

hey Kit, I've just paid for the Malazan Special - can I get back to you about the poems I would like to submit for your consideration? And, if I submit just one will you agree to put it to music? I don't really fancy leaving the choice in your hands :p

Thank you much!! I will do my best if you only give me one poem :D Looking forward to it!!

#9 User is offline   sting01 

• Sergeant

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

View Postworrywort, on 02 April 2013 - 11:13 PM, said:

Actually sounds pretty good, I like the singer's voice. They're Canadian as hell when they talk though.

What about the canadian? I agree they are half red-coat, but the other half is french, and by worth respect :p HAHAHAHAHa

To the artist, I found a youtube, so I will listen in some few hours at home (Can not at work alas).

#10 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

Well, probably not the best place to ask this, but I'm not going to make an account over there for just that:

Can anyone tell me what I'd have to add to get the physical copy of the CD shipped to Europe?
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#11 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:10 PM

good question, as I've already ordered one and was not advised of any extra shipping costs - in any case, I am happy to pay, just let me know Kit - I can forward Puck's copy to her if that is helpful :(

#12 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

View Postworrywort, on 02 April 2013 - 11:13 PM, said:

wtf do you mean 'Canadian as hell'? What else are they supposed to sound like, being from Canada? What's wrong with being audibly Canadian anyway? hmmm? hmmm? You some kind of ethnicist? :(

#13 User is offline   mountainkit 

• Recruit

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostPuck, on 12 April 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Well, probably not the best place to ask this, but I'm not going to make an account over there for just that:

Can anyone tell me what I'd have to add to get the physical copy of the CD shipped to Europe?

Hey thanks for asking, sorry it wasn't more clear on our campaign page- we will fix it. If you can, 5-8 euros for shipping would be appreciated, but either way we will be shipping them overseas.

#14 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:47 PM

View Postmountainkit, on 12 April 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

View PostPuck, on 12 April 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Hey thanks for asking, sorry it wasn't more clear on our campaign page- we will fix it. If you can, 5-8 euros for shipping would be appreciated, but either way we will be shipping them overseas.

Thanks for the quick response :(

I just figure that since I can't give you much, I want what I can give you for the great work you do to go where it's needed, so paying for shipping seems the right thing to do.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]

#15 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:04 AM

Awesome, looking forward to this. Eagerly awaiting to see if the poem I recommended to you several months back made the cut.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#16 User is offline   mountainkit 

• Recruit

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:01 AM

View PostDefiance, on 13 April 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

Awesome, looking forward to this. Eagerly awaiting to see if the poem I recommended to you several months back made the cut.

Was that the one that starts with "the faces all in rows will wait"?
if so, then yes!! :(

#17 User is offline   mountainkit 

• Recruit

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Hey Folks!

So, yesterday our title track officially premiered on Beats Per Minute.
And they gave us a good review too :p/>
But the writer did make a mistake by saying "most" of lyrics were by Steven Erikson, when they "all" are...
Hopefully get that fixed in the next few days.

Here is the link:
http://beatsperminut...dge-of-the-sun/

album is being released on July 16th...

Cheers!
Kit

#18 User is offline   mountainkit 

• Recruit

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

The album "Bridge of the Sun" is officially released!! Feels good to have it out there.
Thank you all for the support over the years, means a lot to me. Hope you enjoy the tunes...
Get it here: itunes
or bandcamp

@malaclypse I sent you cd's but haven't heard back about the poem you want for a song
@defiance the song you suggested is titled Weathered Wings, cheers!

#19 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

I just want to say this officially: that album is awesome and I love it! Thank you for putting so mayn of my favourite malazan poems to this really, really wonderful music!

Also, I'm usually not a fan of instrumentals only tracks, but Gallan's Hope is.. simply.. perfect.

#20 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:14 AM

Also chiming in to say that it sounds great! Congrats on the release.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users