Malazan Empire: Game of Thrones Season 3 thread! - Malazan Empire

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Game of Thrones Season 3 thread! ALL BOOK SPOILERS ALLOWED Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#181 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:25 PM

View Postamphibian, on 29 April 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

Jaime and Brienne in the tub was an amazing scene. It also allowed me to ask the following to a lady friend in front of the group watching the show:

"Sara, on a scale from 1 to 10, how disappointed were you to not see Jaimie's wang there?"

"7.5, they could give us women something once in a while - and that spy with Loras doesn't fully help either."

I loved it overall, thought it was brilliantly acted and a near flawless execution of one of the book's most pivotal scenes for one of its coolest characters... BUT...

I thought the bit at the end where Jaime keeled, Brienne grabbed him, called for help, and he murmured the "My... name.. is Jaime.." was both melodramatic and playing to a dumb audience. The man just spent 10 minutes laying out a case for himself and how he's truly, fully human underneath the Kingslayer raiments--there was no need for them to bludgeon us with that right at the end of the scene. It didn't spoil the scene by a long shot, but it soiled it for me.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#182 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

By the way...

View Postamphibian, on 29 April 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

Jaime and Brienne in the tub was an amazing scene. It also allowed me to ask the following to a lady friend in front of the group watching the show:

"Sara, on a scale from 1 to 10, how disappointed were you to not see Jaimie's wang there?"

"7.5, they could give us women something once in a while - and that spy with Loras doesn't fully help either."

I was not incredibly disappointed, and while I dig guy on guy action, Loras is not very convincing, no matter who he is with, so meh. (Also don't like effeminate gay dudes, unless they are called Chopin.)

Cersei+Loras was never suggested in the books was it? Of course not, he was in the Kingsguard. I seem to remember Tywin just suggesting she get married...to someone. I don't recall any interesting suggestions.

The whole reason for going to the Freys, to get more men...that wasn't in the book was it? I know he lost the Karstarks in the book, but didn't they only go there to secure the engagement of Edmure to a Frey girl?

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#183 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

@CC: I didn't mind that, but this episode more than usual did have a soapy feel to it, IMO. The direction had multiple tight closeups throughout, for instance, and the Robb scenes in particular almost had that soft focus to them.

This post has been edited by sorrysort: 29 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#184 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostBriar King, on 29 April 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

Yes I think your right they go to Freys for Edmure. I don't recall the taking Casterly Rock stuff at all.

I coulda popped Brienne when she shouted out The Kingslayer needed help...wtf did he just get done explaining to her.....

Yeah, the Twins was all about Edmure. Kinda awkwardly done on the show to me. Robb being the gifted strategist that he is, it seemed strange that they painted the "i can take Casterly Rock/Walder Frey has men!!" epiphany as such a moment of brilliant revelation.

idunno, there were great scenes in this episode but for my money it was the least cohesive episode so far--I rarely have anything negative to say and i thought there were quite a few weird missteps.

This post has been edited by Ceda Cicero: 29 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#185 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:34 PM

Agreed, it seemed like they were going for dramatic foreshadowing with Robb (maybe aimed mostly at bookreaders who know what is coming) but it just seemed convoluted. It's like they don't want to give the viewer too many hints beforehand that not marrying the Frey girl will have consequences. But I'll be pissed if the Red Wedding is not actually a wedding.

There it is.

#186 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

View PostTerez, on 29 April 2013 - 11:34 PM, said:

Agreed, it seemed like they were going for dramatic foreshadowing with Robb (maybe aimed mostly at bookreaders who know what is coming) but it just seemed convoluted. It's like they don't want to give the viewer too many hints beforehand that not marrying the Frey girl will have consequences. But I'll be pissed if the Red Wedding is not actually a wedding.

I think it'll be a wedding, no doubt in my mind there. One, Weiss and Benioff have stated it was their short term goal to film that scene--because they're so on fire for it, I think it will be more or less accurate to text, even if the way they get there isn't. And two, if Edmure isn't in the mix the marriage, he doesn't have a whole helluva lot else to do this season, and that actor is a fairly big name to bring on board for a handful of scenes.

My guess is in the next episode or two Robb'll decide to offer Edmure to Frey in return for troops to storm Casterly Rock, following his big "epiphany." What doesn't really work is that the whole 5 min scene leading up to Robb's big epiphany in this ep was just unnecessary. It would've been just fine for them to revisit the Frey issue and conclude that marrying off Edmure was the most practical solution without any of this business about Robb suddenly, out of the blue realizing Casterly Rock is vulnerable and Walder has shittons of men.

#187 User is offline   Manwitheyes 

• Recruit

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:12 AM

When Robb decided he was gonna attac casterly rock my gf changed the channel and I didn't even mind or notice, kinda like walking out on a movie. Quickly losing interest in this show. Starting to think it should be called "loosely based on a song of ice and fire but were naming the whole series after the title of the first book"

I know this conflicts with how I felt about it a few short weeks ago, but they need to focus episodes on less pov's, and have longer/more seasons per book. Everytime I get excited about something the next scene ruins something for me.

My review of ep 5 in 1 sentence - pollivar as loras' lover? Wtf

Also, major fail with roose bolton, the look, the actor, the personality, bah. Back to bobs burgers! maybe I'm too heavily invested in the story, but i don't even think it's an above average tv show anymore. I'll definitely keep watching, but it's no bsg that's for sure 8P

#188 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:29 AM

View PostManwitheyes, on 30 April 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

My review of ep 5 in 1 sentence - pollivar as loras' lover? Wtf

I think you'll find that Loras' lover was named Oliver and not Polliver, and is in no way related to the character from the second season. He's just a spy of Littlefinger's.

As for Roose Bolton I disagree, as I think they nailed it. I think he will really start to shine when he gets to be at the centre of more significant events later in the season.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#189 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

View PostBriar King, on 30 April 2013 - 02:19 AM, said:

I kinda feel bad for my Bnlaw as he isn't a book reader but watches the show and we talk about he doesn't get alot of things and I can't cant really explain without giving plots away. Just been kinda bugging me lately when I talki with him. Anyone else in a sim position?

Yes, definitely, with one of my friends. He hasn't read the books, and he gets annoyed when we start talking about the books in comparison to the show, which is a daft thing to get annoyed about, imo, as it's inevitable (and I have to point out to him that he wasn't slow to compare Return of the King the movie to Return of the King the book, but it seems these things are fine for some but not for others!). Anyway, he has been majorly spoiled on one future plot twist via people talking about the books on The Guardian's blog for the tv show, so I can understand him being a bit pissed about that.

Re ep 5, I didn't think it was quite as good as last week's, but the Jaime/Brienne, Stannis, and Tywin/Tyrion/Cersei scenes were all fantastic. Charles Dance is superb! I'm starting to like Stephen Dillane more each time he appears, too.

#190 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostBriar King, on 29 April 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

Yes I think your right they go to Freys for Edmure. I don't recall the taking Casterly Rock stuff at all.

I coulda popped Brienne when she shouted out The Kingslayer needed help...wtf did he just get done explaining to her.....

That was the point. Despite all his emo, he's still the man who backstabed his own king.

View PostCeda Cicero, on 29 April 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

... Robb being the gifted strategist that he is, it seemed strange that they painted the "i can take Casterly Rock/Walder Frey has men!!" epiphany as such a moment of brilliant revelation.

I dunno, it worked well enuf in terms of hitting a note of ominous foreboding for book fans and 'the next big battle' for non-readers.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#191 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

View PostAbyss, on 30 April 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

View PostCeda Cicero, on 29 April 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

... Robb being the gifted strategist that he is, it seemed strange that they painted the "i can take Casterly Rock/Walder Frey has men!!" epiphany as such a moment of brilliant revelation.

I dunno, it worked well enuf in terms of hitting a note of ominous foreboding for book fans and 'the next big battle' for non-readers.

I don't disagree, I think they hit the right notes. I just think they farted when they did it. If I'm a discerning and dedicated non-reading viewer, it doesn't take much effort to connect the dots and ask, "Wait... Why is he just now realizing these things?" The whole scene is a sharp contrast to the first scene we get with Robb where he shows how competent he is by reprimanding Edmure.

Also, I'm being a snobbish nitpicker in this one (okay, okay, possibly above too) but in the books the Frey host went with Robb from the Twins and many stormed off after he married Jeyne. That arrangement makes way more sense than Frey having some massive army in reserve that no one has tried to lure into the fold until just now.

And re: Roose upthread, I'm with MTS. The Roose casting is one of my favorites from the show so far. Any critics need to wait until Roose shows his true colors on the show and make their judgment then.

This post has been edited by Ceda Cicero: 30 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

#192 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

I really enjoy Roose's casting too. Besides those icy eyes, his soft voice is just perfect. As in the books, he makes for fantastic compare/contrast-work to Tywin. There's something about his soft-spoken-ness that is even more impressive (and when you get down to it, scarier) than Tywin's overt (though very competent) lordliness. I wouldn't say it's hot iron vs cold iron, since they're both pretty cold, but it's like Tywin has to tamper down hot impulses through discipline and purpose, while Roose is just cold through and through.

#193 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

View Postsorrysort, on 30 April 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

I really enjoy Roose's casting too. Besides those icy eyes, his soft voice is just perfect. As in the books, he makes for fantastic compare/contrast-work to Tywin. There's something about his soft-spoken-ness that is even more impressive (and when you get down to it, scarier) than Tywin's overt (though very competent) lordliness. I wouldn't say it's hot iron vs cold iron, since they're both pretty cold, but it's like Tywin has to tamper down hot impulses through discipline and purpose, while Roose is just cold through and through.

Nice comparison. Never thought to contrast him with Tywin, but you're right. Relatedly, of the things I was most looking forward to in DwD, Roose and Ramsay reuniting was easily a frontrunner, and I wasn't disappointed.

The whole bit of awful lore about Ramsay's conception only makes Roose that much more menacing. We never, ever see the man out of control, we just hear an awful story about it and it's every bit as bad as you could have ever imagined it would be.

#194 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

View PostBriar King, on 30 April 2013 - 02:19 AM, said:

I kinda feel bad for my Bnlaw as he isn't a book reader but watches the show and we talk about he doesn't get alot of things and I can't cant really explain without giving plots away. Just been kinda bugging me lately when I talki with him. Anyone else in a sim position?

Yeah, same for when I'm watching it with my wife. This and Spartacus are the two shows we both really like. Some aspects of the show she just doesn't understand why I love so much, as she hasn't read the books.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#195 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:17 AM

Like I mentioned, I've been behind in seeing the episodes each week, but just finished ep5. I think this one was the best so far. The beginning with Beric and the flaming sword is fantastic, but I don't remember that from the book. Did he light the sword on fire in the book as well?

I also missed commenting on the end of the episode that had Dany and the unsullied kick some ass. That was a great scene with the dragon flying behind her and leaving the trail of fire across the backdrop.

I felt much worse for Jaime this time than I did in the books. I had a hard time buying his changes but this episode did an amazing job of it so far.

Still no ep6.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#196 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:41 AM

There was lots of plot mix-up in this episode; the Melisandra-Gendry scene was the oddest, but in any case it's starting to get a little clearer how they're going about cluing the viewers into the context. Also—farewell Ros, we barely knew ye.

There it is.

#197 User is online   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

Wow that was an ugly way to kill Ros. Can we get Joffrey's wedding already, please? I want to see the little shit die.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#198 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

Great episode, some of the interactions were quite good, like Olenna/Tywin and Varys/Littlefinger, as always. That Ramsay/Theon scene was very well done as well, the actor playing Ramsay nailed it (so to speak). Some fairly sharp deviations from the books, but I don't mind, I'm enjoying it thus far.

Also I'm sad about Ros. I was beginning to think she'd be a sort of Westerosi counterpart to Pullo/Vorenus, always around on the edge of great events.

This post has been edited by MTS: 06 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#199 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostGarak, on 06 May 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

Wow that was an ugly way to kill Ros. Can we get Joffrey's wedding already, please? I want to see the little shit die.

I am starting to wonder about this because it almost looks like they're heading for both weddings this season. I don't know anything about the publicly-released info on the eps this season, though.

There it is.

#200 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

I think Joff will be next season, but it will definitely be in the early middle, not a season capper. I may have mentioned this here before, but I think we will get Robb first, this season obviously, and then Balon's "accident" (IMO it should be on-screen, and maybe more overtly an introduction to Euron), and then Joff last. That's my preference, at least.

Share this topic:

• 25 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

60 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 60 guests, 0 anonymous users