Malazan Empire: Blood and Bone - questions and review (spoilers) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blood and Bone - questions and review (spoilers)

#1 User is offline   Ruthan Good 

• Magi House 94
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

So first, as not many would bother reading all of the below, my main questions:

1. What was Skinner looking for?
2. Who was Ardata's daughter and why was Shimmer crying when she found who she was?
3. So, the Thamaturgs tried to bring down the Visitor to ice Kallor. Saeng prevented it? Osserc deflected it? Or did he channel power into Saeng that she could do it? And if they deflected it, what hit Kallor? Was it a fragment, a shard? The backlash of magic was to do with the events in Kolanse, but how were the other things affected by the TCG?

I just finished, and so this was is the only Malazan book I had left to read, apart from the novellas.

First of all a brief overview of ICE's books. I am neutral to NoK, liked bits of RotCG (Crimson Guard and the Old Guard were fairly unimpressive, but as always it was the various soldiers and officers of Malazan armies that stole the show for me), liked most of Stonewielder, liked very little of OST (Brood, Torvald, Spindle, Aragan and scenes with Pearl were awesome, the rest not so much) and now, Blood and Bone.

So the main storylines were:

1. Golan, Thorn and the army of righteous whatever, Pon-Lor
I found myself not caring a fig about Golan and Pon-Lor at the start of the book, and only midway did I begin to be interested with Pon-Lor. While I enjoyed the banter between Golan, Thorn, Pre and Waris, the general sarcastic undertones of it all mirroring some of SE's dialogue, but on the whole the story did not need to happen.

2. Saeng and Hanu, initially it was a lot of bla, but once we happened upon Old Man Moon, after that it became interesting and I actually cared.

3. Awoved (Shimmer) and Disawoved (Mara)
The Crimson Guard characters, as a whole, are really interesting, if still slightly confusing. I liked the two POV characters, and the T'lan ritual similarities are interesting. The humanity of the characters made me more invested in them, and thus more interested in what happens in Assail. Frankly a much better protrayal of the Crimson Guard than Return of the Crimson Guard.

However, their influence on the plot of this book is dubious. For the most part, they came, and then they went. I am trying to figure out if they had to be in Jacuruku at all, or if T'riss' journey there would be entirely unchanged with them not being in the books altogether. Possibly Rutana and Nagal not being there may have made the outcome of the "duel" between T'riss and Ardata different.

4. "Warleader" (come on), Jatal etc.

The Adwami armies started as the second most promising plotline, with Kallor, a reasonable leader in Jatal, the inter-tribal politics and romance, the perfectly sensible idea of uniting the tribes against a common enemy. Kallor has his hidden motives, this looks cool, here's a priest of Agon, here's a half-Trell who's friendly with this slightly more pragamatic version of the Luke Skywalker type character.... And then it descended into a horrendous doomed romance cliche plot, Jatal loosing his credibility as a POV character by being someone who's POV I wasn't interested in knowing, and quite similar uninteresting battle scenes. The last bit wasn't much of a criticism, but while I hoped that at least the fight scenes could salvage the plotline, they didn't.

5. Osserc and Gothos
were a delight to read, and some of the most enjoyable segments came from there, second only to Murk and Sour.

6. T'riss and Ina - not much to say, as ultimately there was little of them, but it was quite interesting

7. Murk, Sour and the Malazans
As always, it seems that writing about the fate of the normal Malazan soldiers and officers is where both ICE and SE excel at. And Murk and Sour and Yusen are no exception.

Overall, I quite enjoyed Blood and Bone, even though sometimes I glazed over the pages a bit, and along with Stonewielder the two fit really well in the overall framework. I think a common comment on the forum that ICE is good when he gets to do some of his own worldbuilding, and yeah, I guess that's true.

This post has been edited by Ruthan Good: 24 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

I don't have time to consider things I have to consider.

#2 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:34 AM

Skinner and company were hired by the Thaumaturg Ruling council as mercenaries. On the side, he was also doing the bidding of the crippled god to retrieve the pieces.

Regarding the Thaumaturg ritual, I think ICE left a lot of it to our imagination. I think they were trying to bring down the Jade Giant souls to harness their power in some manner (like what they tried to do to the Crippled God originally). Saeng stopped the ritual because the people of Jackuruku were well aware of the destruction caused by the last such act. I think Osserc delayed or tried to stop this by acting more directly on the giant statues. I dont think they were working in concert. I think one of the shards flattened Kallor

Shimmer overall was very sentimental in this story. The girl seemed to be disfigured in some manner. The girl also seemed to be stuck in some form of stasis. Apparently prevented from growing and therefore in some form of imprisonment. Maybe it reminded Shimmer of her condition (held hostage to a vow)
I did not understand the Ardata/daughter storyline much either. Hopefully it will become clearer on a reread.

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:42 AM

The Jatal storyline did have some excellent horror set-pieces along the way, and I personally did like the battles through the city (not so different from the Bridgeburners inside Coral IMO), even if Jatal himself was kind of a wiener.

To answer one of your questions, Ardata's daughter was all three (or just two?) women of various ages that had spoken to Shimmer. Ardata has created some weird time-warpy effect on her daughter to keep her safe. It's under-explored territory. I don't mind a puzzle with a few pieces missing, if you can still get the picture, but this was kinda ridiculous.

And yah the Visitor was deflected and a chunk of jade knocked the wind out of Kallor but didn't nearly kill him, unfortunately for him.

Murk and Sour were definitely pretty awesome (and as usual the trips to Shadow were super cool). Weird that one of the hired soldiers was named Squint though, huh?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:53 AM

Question number 1 is an excellent question, and one I'm dying to know the answer to. But I don't think there is one. Yes, Skinner and the Disavowed hire on as mercenaries, but it's made clear there's another motive...only there isn't. Because Skinner wasn't trying to get back together with Ardata, and he wasn't after any particular thing in Himatan. It seems they only went there to have a confrontation with K'azz - not that they actually knew he would be there.

As I've said elsewhere, I quite enjoyed the book, but this particular plot point, or seeming lack of one, really bugs me.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:59 AM

Were they not there to collect the fragment of CG that became the little girl? Or am I misremembering the order of events?

#6 User is offline   Ruthan Good 

• Magi House 94

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:19 AM

Yeah, but I'm sure I read Skinner saying something to Mara that implied that they were looking for some answer. Also, as I understand, CG wanted his bits collected so that he could escape, which was accomplished in TCG. But what was Skinner getting out of the deal again?
I don't have time to consider things I have to consider.

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:29 AM

Oh. Well Kaminsod did introduce Skinner to that priest of the House of Chains who was so nice and fun to be around and such a big help. Probably felt he owed him one.

#8 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

View PostRuthan Good, on 24 March 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

Yeah, but I'm sure I read Skinner saying something to Mara that implied that they were looking for some answer. Also, as I understand, CG wanted his bits collected so that he could escape, which was accomplished in TCG. But what was Skinner getting out of the deal again?

Skinner was simply acting in his role as King in Chains before he shook off such a vow. The CGRD plot doesnt make too much sense as someone has mentioned above they didnt know Kazz was going to be there. As WW states they could have been there to collect the Celeste fragment but thats not the case given they had already joined the Army and the visit to the Dolmens of Tien, where the Celeste fragment was from, was a massive warren enhanced excursion, similar to the Meckros excursion. There seemed no reason at all to have Skinner there joining the army. Maybe it will become clearer in Assail though really it should have been dealt with in this book rather than seeming somewhat contrived.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users