• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whiskeyjack's Liberalism Unrealistic code of honor

#41 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

Ulysses is a an idiot and probably a troll. Definitely an idiot. Why humour him?

Witness what Ambrose Bierce, the greatest quotist that ever lived (and an American) had to say of such:

IDIOT, n. A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in human affairs has always been dominant and controlling.
The Idiot's activity is not confined to any special field of thought or action, but "pervades and regulates the whole."
He has the last word in everything; his decision is unappealable. He sets the fashions and opinion of taste, dictates the
limitations of speech and circumscribes conduct with a dead-line.

This post has been edited by Malaclypse: 26 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

#42 User is offline   Captain Hadrian 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:20 PM

well, for my first time post here ... what bothers me about Ulysses' posts here is the anger and hatred implicit in the language he/she (nah, not a 'she' it's safe to say) uses when directed towards characters who walk a path different from his own. Judgement, justice and ethics are different things, believe it or not. Judgement is personal, justice is collective, and ethics is the deep, murky pool where all the people filled with hate tend to, ultimately, drown. Oh, judgement, justice and ethics are others things, too, but I bow to the pithy.

#43 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:29 AM

I think he was just a troll and is gone now. Someone must have tricked him into saying his name backwards or something.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#44 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

View Postsorrysort, on 23 March 2013 - 06:33 PM, said:

Besides, is maning people really that bad?

Would that be the act of bestowing a mane upon someone?
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#45 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostStudlock, on 24 March 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

Let's not forget that Whiskey Jack is a commander of a Empire and part of an imperialistic force. Not exactly the best kind of people. I think there's a pretty important quote from him that goes a little like this: "...speak not of worthy goals or just causes. We are taker of lives." I'm sure someone who has the book close to them can quote it better. But anyway I think a big part of book is Whiskey Jack coming to terms of being part of imperialistic machine and essentially at the end of the day empire is pretty much bad for anyone no matter where it comes from hence feeling compassion for the cannibalistic army. (One of my biggest complaints of SE writing is the rather pretty picture of the Malazan Empire he paints but I'll leave that alone.)

The Malazan Empire isn't good, but it's less bad than most of the alternatives in Wu.

#46 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostUlysses, on 24 March 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

I just think that WJ logic is flawed by his arrogance. It is not his job to provide redemption to this filth, he is a soldier period.

I really liked him up to that point. I just can't forgive baby's being spiked over fire pits. No matter what lead an individual to committ murder, it is still murder and should be punished by death.

What Coltaine did in DhG was more then his job it was his duty. He did the right thing in a honorable way. he is much more the hero then WJ.

WJ is just a liberal attempting to impose his irrational views on others.

Whiskeyjack gave the "filth," death, because being he felt chained to Dragnipur for all eternity was a fate that he felt was too cruel for anyone, and that a quick death would be better, cleaner.

How is that a liberal thing? Resonates deeply with some aspects of Christian philosophy, particularly.

Who was he imposing his views on?

#47 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Mercy is for losers, ya commie pinkos!

Attached File  archie.jpg (21.96K)
Number of downloads: 1
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#48 User is offline   Luperci 

• Not Bruce Wayne
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Fighting crime and hanging with my Butler

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:22 AM

View PostUlysses, on 23 March 2013 - 04:48 PM, said:

So I am new to the board. I am reading the series for the first time. I just recently completed the wheel of time series and had previously attempted to read gardens of the moon. on my second drive I finished it and loved it more then any book from the WOT series.

So two books done in one month and half way through Memories of Ice. I don't know what happened but Erickson just completely turned me off on whiskey jack . without spoiling any thing I just cannot believe that whiskey jack would wish to protect any group of people who rape,kill and mane people, let alone eat them. lets not mention what these folks did to the children.

the specific interaction with rake and his attempting to protect a certain group of scum just rubs me the wrong way.

I will never be able to look at whiskey jack the same way.

WhiskeyJack knows more than anybody what people are capable of when put to the extremes. The Tenescowri are poor natives or slaves who have been degraded or dismissed by society and forced to feed upon human flesh because of the sheer amount of people that follows the Seer, there is no way for them to be feed anything other than human meat. You have to remember these are people who have been controlled and manipulated by the Pannion. WJ realizes that although they have committed atrocities no one is deserving of Dranipur (except for Kallor, that guy def deserves it) and tries to give the women and clean death.
The Harder the world, the fiercer the Honor.

-Dancer

#49 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Instant coffee

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

Whatwhatwhat, Terry Goodkind was here and I missed it!? :)

#50 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

Wait, what?

Just looked through this thread and don't see him in here? Are you saying Ulysses is Goodkind or are you simply making a joke?

#51 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

Attempting the latter by hinting at the former... not completely successfully, it seems.

Sorry, an hour left at work before the weekend and nothing left to do. :)

#52 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Sorry, you had me all excited there for a minute.

Considering the environment of this place, the idea of Goodkind not just appearing but actually actively taking part in a discussion about a Malazan character would be a glorious moment in the history of this forum.

#53 User is offline   Duikers'Ghost 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:physics, math, basketball, fire, beer...etc.

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:23 AM

(One of my biggest complaints of SE writing is the rather pretty picture of the Malazan Empire he paints but I'll leave that alone.)

I couldn't disagree more.
res ipsa loquitor

#54 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostCrustaceous Apt, on 04 October 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

Considering the environment of this place, the idea of Goodkind not just appearing but actually actively taking part in a discussion about a Malazan character would be a glorious moment in the history of this forum.

If it did happen - it would be interesting to see if TG himself could get past the standard Dick Cypherahl rant "if someone made you do something bad it's because you're weak and you deserve the hand of the strong cutting your weak head off. Weakling."

#55 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:12 AM

View PostDuikers, on 06 October 2013 - 03:23 AM, said:

(One of my biggest complaints of SE writing is the rather pretty picture of the Malazan Empire he paints but I'll leave that alone.)

I couldn't disagree more.

actually, i think the prologue of DG paints a lovely picture of the malazan way, don't you? such exotic rituals. /sarcasm

all that aside, the empire is no better or worse than most other similarly sized entities. the pretty picture we're painted is of certain individuals.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#56 User is offline   Kanese S's 

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

Indeed. It's hardly a great place, it's just a lot better in some ways than a few other places we've seen (pre-Malazan Seven Cities having sucked in some ways, Pannion Domin obviously be terrible, etc.). There are probably other areas that are nicer than the Malazan Empire, but those areas likely don't have much conflict and therefore much story. :unworthy:

This post has been edited by Kanese S's: 11 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

#57 User is offline   Tarthenal Theloman Toblakai 

• Engineer Extraordinaire!
  • Interests:Engineering, books, films, gaming, gym, running, mountain biking

Posted 12 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

wow reading this forum post was like reading a Kruppe essay!!... *breathes*.....ok I would say if anybody thinks Whiskeyjack is arrogant they haven't read the book(s) well enough and should try again. The dude is honest, decent and has a really good morale compass. he is a soldier yes, but he isn't a mindless idiot, he does the right thing for all at all times. I just wanted to defend the great (possibly the best) character of the series as it seems the thread is all but over so I don't need to repeat what has already been covered by others.
"There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail — should we fall — we will know that we have lived." ― Anomander Rake, Son of Darkness

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users