Malazan Empire: Finished the Book - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Finished the Book

#1 User is offline   OberynM 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Fantasy,anime,history,JAPAN:))

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:02 PM

Just finished the book..as i read and read its just my opinion that the plots in this book just get better from one to the next.Cant say there is a specific book better then the one before it but the epic in the last 200 pages blew me off...chained smoked 4 cigaretts:)) .Kalam in his last stand against the Claws is best fighting narration ever written in fantasy.Tough his ending/or is it? .....If he isnt dead then why does cottilion lose him as Shadowthrone says?..Guess it will be brought back .Laseen seems to be very troubled couldnt get a hold of her real feelings as Korbolo Dom and that obnoxious priest just kept getting in the way.Fiddler starting to play the violin and trull/onrack vs icarium broke my heart!!!Steven Erikson is a monster writer , Malazan word is a fantasy ganja in my opinion.Only the best for all you out there that follow the footsteps of this ascendant in literature.

Just some thoughts !!!

P.s Many more awesome moments but these one hot as hell

#2 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

The last 200 pages of tBH are probably my favourite in the series.

And you know there's not a chance in hell of you getting any info on Kalam except for RAFO from the rest of us, right? :D
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#3 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:16 PM

The Bonehunters is my favorite book in the series (although Toll the Hounds follows very closely, and they're all incredibly good). There were so many aspects of it that I loved. Karsa taking on the K'Chain barehanded so that it would be a fair fight. Y'Ghatan, which was a climax in itself, taking place only 1/3 of the way into the book. Perrin taking down Poliel. The Jades falling from the sky. Fiddler doing his reading. Malaz City. The defense of the First Throne. In many series, the transition book ends up being the weakest. That wasn't the case with this book, however; despite the fact that the three different main plot characters/events are beginning to converge, things are stronger than ever. The book also took things in exciting new ways - given that the series is The Malazan Book of the Fallen, I did not see Tavore leaving the empire for good. Civil war, sure, but when she said that they were going to leave the Empire, probably never to return? Shivers down my fucking spine.

Oh, and perhaps above all, Cotillion. Shadowthrone and Cotillion were always interesting, and I really started liking Cotliion around the time he kicked ass in Bidythal's Temple with Kalam, but this book really served to show just how astonishingly human the patron of assassins is. The scene at the end of chapter 24, where Trull sees Cotliion sitting alone, head in his hands, is one of the most powerful moments in the series for me. So good.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#4 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:05 AM

And you didnt even mention

- masan galani vs the trohlboral
- mappo losing icarium
- the heavies defending the wickans
- the perish thrones of war
- the trygelle trade guild
- qb kalam and stormy's dinner at the skykeeps
- pust vs the trohboral

Yeah the bonehunters is dense.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:08 AM

Some are dense, some are vastly blank.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:59 AM

View Postworrywort, on 13 March 2013 - 02:08 AM, said:

Some are dense, some are vastly blank.

Indeed.

I also forgot about Hellian. I think I used to date her real world avatar.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#7 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

my favourite part of that book was Y'Ghatan and the aftermath in the tunnels. thinking back on how much insanely awesome stuff there was in that book i don't know why i didn't like it more. i think i just got lost a few times which must've put me off. or maybe i just sucked too much to really appreciate how amazing the book was.

#8 User is offline   OberynM 

• Sergeant

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

All in all the action seems to have cemented a few tales for the next book.I just hope that Erikson keeps the bar up (how could he not ) and delivers some amazing writing.BTW...didnt mention all the crazy/awesome dialogue scenes that at one time lose me:)) . The way it all blends : history,philosophy.geography,politics,religion into a massive fantasy just stands out in front of the usual platoon of books :wub:)
Tear shedding moments all through the book ..sorry i didnt mention all of them but was drunk last night after a 5 hrs bonehunters binge ^_^)

P.s Worrywort you are the quote-master with that blank,desne shit :))

Stonny ...bro Hellian is a keeper !!

#9 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:36 PM

The Bonehunters is an odd book. It's the only one in the series that is a transition book and doesn't build up toward a climax (DoD doesn't count). But it is full of tons of awesome moments.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 13 March 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

The Bonehunters is an odd book. It's the only one in the series that is a transition book and doesn't build up toward a climax (DoD doesn't count). But it is full of tons of awesome moments.

I dunno... leaving aside the fact that the firestorm and subsequent events at Yghatan, and the convergence around Paran vs Poliel are both massive events that are more or less mid-book climaxes, Kalam and Tavore's running battle against the Claw and related events made for a pretty big finish.

I agree with you that there is an element of transition to the book, but it still has a 'cimax'.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 March 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

I dunno... leaving aside the fact that the firestorm and subsequent events at Yghatan, and the convergence around Paran vs Poliel are both massive events that are more or less mid-book climaxes, Kalam and Tavore's running battle against the Claw and related events made for a pretty big finish.

I agree with you that there is an element of transition to the book, but it still has a 'cimax'.

I mean that the whole book doesn't build towards a climax like the others do. There are several build ups and peaks throughout the book. The biggest buildup was for Y'Ghatan which happened in the first half.

#12 User is offline   OberynM 

• Sergeant

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

Beeing my first read i just hope that the next ones have those climax moments mid section of the book...It just puts me off when the honey jar is at the end:) EVEN if its more rewarding.Erikson raised the read-reward system higher then his fellow genre writers.Yghatan was i think a cherry on top of the cake for all the fans that just couldnt make it to the end without a moment

#13 User is offline   Ruthan Good 

• Magi House 94

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 March 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

Don't forget the Edur and Icarium showdown.
I don't have time to consider things I have to consider.

#14 User is offline   BlackMoranthofDoom 

• Fist
  • Interests:gaming, watching movies, listening to metal

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

View PostSpoilsport Stonny, on 13 March 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

And you didnt even mention

- masan galani vs the trohlboral
- mappo losing icarium
- the heavies defending the wickans
- the perish thrones of war
- the trygelle trade guild