• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Babylon 5 The year was...

#1 User is offline   Ruthan Good 

• Magi House 94
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:09 PM

For the background on Babylon 5, this was a tv series that ran through 1994-1998, lasted for 5 series, 6 TV movies, 1 series of spinoff show, and multiple comics and books and other bits and bobs. It was well-known for it's very tight plotting and (IMHO) fantastic main storyline. It had many traditional sci-fi and general themes such as good vs evil, order vs chaos (big one that), heroism and sacrifice at it's grandest, many others, and it truly defines the space opera genre. Sure enough it had faults (see below), but it combined massive space battles and character-based drama and what was effectively an education in tolerance, political and religious idealism (I think I'm not talking out of my arse), and a story about a friendship like none other. Beware of looking it up on wikipedia as I did (see below).

Babylon 5 was was created and largely written by J M Straczynski (I actually managed to spell it right without looking). He wrote 92 out the 110 episodes of the main show, and also all but one episode from series 3-5 (the other one was done by Neil Gaiman, so you know, can't complain). To modern audiences he is famous for Changeling on big screens, and to comic book readers he is the author to some of Spider-Man's and Thor's best stories (IMHO). Babylon 5 is as much about him as it is about the show.

I bring this thread on to people to discuss, like or hate, and get other people to watch it. Take care with posting spoilers.
Now with the faults:

1. The threat of cancellation and slight adjustments caused the last season to be not as good as the preceding stuff.
2. Some of the actors having left caused some other plot adjustments
3. Season 1 wasn't quite as good
4. The CGI is a bit antiquated by today's standard
5. It ended
6. I managed to spoil the whole thing, almost every one of the main plot points by just scanning through the article on the wikipedia thinking I wouldn't watch it

What the show did to make up for the faults:

1. Season 5 was still miles better than many other things on TV
2. The actors having left was dealt with quite well
3. Teething pains, and it also contained some of the best episodes
4. It was fantastic by then standards
5. Can't make up for that one
6. I still loved it
I don't have time to consider things I have to consider.

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:56 AM

There was no season 5.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

My main gripe is that the front half of Season 1 is very weak, which caused me to ignore the series when it first came out. Years later I got Season 1 on DVD, watched it and loved it. Then had to complete the collection.

You gotta really hand it to JMS. He had a lot of obstacles, but he knew where he was going, persevered, and did it.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#4 User is offline   Ruthan Good 

• Magi House 94

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:17 PM

I started a rewatch after writing about it yesterday. Going through every season 1 episode, no skipping!

As for season 5, though my fellow worshipper of the Great Old One may not think that there was a season 5, I actually cried at the end. 1st half of season 5 was questionable, but then it got better, and I to date feel robbed for not having seen/read about the Telepath War. The season shows destinies fulfilled, tragedy at it's greatest, change and rebirth all over the place. (It's hard to write here without spoilers btw).

#5 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:13 PM

I tried watching this show once, but couldn't get past the first few episodes. Maybe I'll try again someday.
No Touchy.

#6 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:34 AM

Gripes about season 5 aside, the long night of londo mollari remains one of my favourite babylon 5 episodes. B5 is likely my 2nd favourite sci-fi (first is firefly) simply because of the depth the show had in terms of plot. You can clearly see the various plot lines that were laid out. What was also done was the introduction of trapdoor characters. Since 4 season is a long time to run a show and contracts can get cancelled or w/e, JMS actually wrote in characters that could fill in for others. The ambassadors aides were all meant as trapdoor characters for example as they could easily be assigned to fill in their roles. Humans were more expendable (sinclair being switched out for sheridan).

http://io9.com/59857...on-of-babylon-5

more there if you're itnerested.

#7 User is offline   Ruthan Good 

• Magi House 94

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostBalrogLord, on 12 March 2013 - 03:34 AM, said:

Gripes about season 5 aside, the long night of londo mollari remains one of my favourite babylon 5 episodes. B5 is likely my 2nd favourite sci-fi (first is firefly) simply because of the depth the show had in terms of plot. You can clearly see the various plot lines that were laid out. What was also done was the introduction of trapdoor characters. Since 4 season is a long time to run a show and contracts can get cancelled or w/e, JMS actually wrote in characters that could fill in for others. The ambassadors aides were all meant as trapdoor characters for example as they could easily be assigned to fill in their roles. Humans were more expendable (sinclair being switched out for sheridan).

Pretty cool article, I liked it. Didn't address the most important character arc of all, of course, but there's enough on that elsewhere.

P.S. Beware spoilers if you hit the article.

#8 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

View PostRuthan Good, on 12 March 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

Pretty cool article, I liked it. Didn't address the most important character arc of all, of course, but there's enough on that elsewhere.

most important? we talking about g'kar here?

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

View PostBalrogLord, on 13 March 2013 - 01:59 AM, said:

View PostRuthan Good, on 12 March 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

most important? we talking about g'kar here?

Garibaldi?

#10 User is offline   Ruthan Good 

• Magi House 94

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

No Londo's of course. IMHO main character of the story.

Between him and G'Kar some of the best character arcs on TV period.

#11 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

I've been showing this clip to my philosophy buddies recently. It's a very powerful scene. Gkar was a great character, with some amazing lines. Intresting how it ended up as he was a bit of a comic villain at the start of show.

#12 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

I COMPLETELY missed this when it was on TV, I didn't watch much at the time...anyway.

I watched the entirety of season 1 and thought it was okay to good at times.

I started watching season 2 , but got side tracked...

I have to say the CGI is a MAJOR drawback to everything, things have most definitely moved on, but the story side of things is good and the acting aint bad.

I'll put it on my list of things to do.
souls are for wimps

#13 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:31 PM

I watched this religiously at the time. Nothing dates as badly as old CGI, especially on tv shows, but it was groundbreaking back then - you were getting to see space opera on tv with the sense of scale (for the most part) intact. The acting let it down quite badly in the first season, the guy playing Sinclair was impossibly wooden. And the speechifying was a perennial problem - I'm guessing this was because JMS really didn't like being edited and so when he got to make his own show he left ALL his words in.

It did have some truly great moments; when the Shadows first show up in "Signs and Portents" in Season 1 you suddenly got to understand what the show was really about. Both G'Karr and Londo's character arcs were perfect. There was a tail off in Season 5 because of things being tied up so much in Season 4. But all in all it's a sadly underrated tv series.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#14 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 September 2021 - 04:54 PM

As was prophecised, BABYLON 5 is being rebooted.

This is clearly the best/worst idea ever/today and is guaranteed to be a huge success/miserable failure. It's great/lame that the original creator is involved, and horrible/interesting that it'll air on The CW. I'll definitely watch/burn my BABYLON 5 collectors' plates.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#15 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 September 2021 - 05:17 PM

I trust J. Michael Straczinski. Nuff said.

Also for anyone who whines that this will be on the CW when the original was not...

BABYLON 5 originally aired on PTEN (Prime Time Entertainment Network)....which then split to become UPN and WB respectively (still under Time Warner/Viacom)...and after operating separately for a while in the 2000's Time Warner/Viacom decided to once again unite the two channels into one, and they named it (You guessed it) The CW. So yeah, same network.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#16 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 30 September 2021 - 06:04 PM

View PostWerthead, on 30 September 2021 - 04:54 PM, said:

This is clearly the best/worst idea ever/today and is guaranteed to be a huge success/miserable failure. It's great/lame that the original creator is involved, and horrible/interesting that it'll air on The CW. I'll definitely watch/burn my BABYLON 5 collectors' plates.

I do/don't agree.

#17 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 September 2021 - 07:37 PM

The CW stands for?
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#18 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 September 2021 - 10:49 PM

Cringe Watching.

#19 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 01 October 2021 - 03:19 AM

Kinda exciting hearing about a complete reboot.

I also havent watched it in years, curious if closer to the date I should do a re-watch.

#20 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 01 October 2021 - 03:46 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 30 September 2021 - 06:04 PM, said:

View PostWerthead, on 30 September 2021 - 04:54 PM, said:

I do/don't agree.

Wert's post exactly captures the prevailing sentiment except for where he gets it utterly wrong.

Moi, i'm excited. I love B5, i enjoy most things JMS does, i want to see what he does given back this setting. I could not care less how 'faithful to the original' this is. BSG did it, Trek did it, Babylon 5 will be just fine.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users