• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Redshirts by John Scalzi Recursively meta recursively

#1 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

Redshirts

Andrew Dahl is a newly-assigned crewman on the Intrepid, the flagship of the Universal Union. Initially what appears to be a plum assignment turns into a nightmare. Almost every away mission turns into a lethal showdown with hostile aliens and crewmen are frequently killed, although oddly the bridge crew seem to survive every one of these encounters. As the situation becomes more bizarre and crew are slain by robots, alien worms and - somewhat unexpectedly - ice sharks, Dahl becomes determined to find out what the hell is really going on.

Redshirts is John Scalzi's tribute to all of those unfortunate extras and minor characters whose sole purpose in life is to show up for ten minutes and then die in a feeble attempt to make the audience believe the main characters might be in danger. It's a huge, nerdy in-joke that anyone who's ever sat through an episode of Star Trek should appreciate. Anyone who hasn't (and Star Trek and its cheesier tropes - distressingly - are getting a bit long in the tooth these days) might find the book pretty pointless.

The book starts off as a look at the workings of such a ship from the POV of the regular crewmen rather than the command crew (and yes, The Next Generation did a whole episode about that) but rapidly escalates into being a funny commentary on the aforementioned TV tropes before moving into a metafictional storyline about fictional characters coming to life before skewing sideways into a very ill-advised attempt at pathos (which falls completely flat due to a lack of decent characterisation, meaning we don't care). Scalzi seems to be aping funny SF authors like Harry Harrison, Terry Pratchett (whose Guards! Guards! pursues a vaguely similar premise, but altogether more successfully) and Douglas Adams. However, the premise of the novel is one that Douglas Adams threw into a TV documentary about his own life, explored and moved on from in about five minutes. Stretched over 300 pages, the premise becomes rather thin. Scalzi is a funny writer (though not in the same league as the aforementioned writers) and the laughs keep things ticking over, but despite a couple of attempts to make serious points (most notably in the codas, where the laughs dry up but the prose style improves markedly) the novel is pretty lightweight and disposable.

Redshirts (***) is an entertaining, easy read which will make you laugh for a bit but you will also completely forget about within a week. The novel is available now in the UK and USA.

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#2 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

Whilst this book sounds intriguing, and I like the thing that Scalzi did with that internet troll which ended up getting a ton of money for charity, I just have an aversion to the guy after he wrote this (in my view) fairly pointless article: http://kotaku.com/59...-is-a-follow+up

That's a link to his follow-up to the responses to the article, as he didn't like what people were saying back to him about it, but it also has a link at the bottom to his original piece. I know, I know, you shouldn't judge an author based on one piece he wrote, but this was the first time I'd heard of him and its stuck with me.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#3 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:49 AM

Yes it was light, but deliberately so. I think the fact it WAS so "disposable" was kinda the point.

I enjoyed it. Actually, those 300 pages were the fastest I've read in ages. At least it wasn't an idea that has been done to death. Nor were any characters' navels overly ogled.

As you say, Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams did something along those lines. Which is why I haven't encountered it before as I find both of them massively smug and overhyped. But that's just IMNSHO. :p

This post has been edited by Sombra: 26 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 25 February 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

Whilst this book sounds intriguing, and I like the thing that Scalzi did with that internet troll which ended up getting a ton of money for charity, I just have an aversion to the guy after he wrote this (in my view) fairly pointless article: http://kotaku.com/59...-is-a-follow+up

That's a link to his follow-up to the responses to the article, as he didn't like what people were saying back to him about it, but it also has a link at the bottom to his original piece. I know, I know, you shouldn't judge an author based on one piece he wrote, but this was the first time I'd heard of him and its stuck with me.

Thanks for the link, those articles make me want to read more from him. Sounds like he has his head on his shoulders instead of up his butt. Redshirts was already on my radar but this kinda sealed it.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Orlion 

• Captain
  • Interests:Amontillado Tofu.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 25 February 2013 - 11:20 AM, said:

Great, as if we don't have enough authors that take themselves too seriously Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users