The Last of Us (PS3) Survival/adventure linear zombie game

#1 User is offline   ForkassalOfTheInnerCircle 

• Accountant of the Inner Circle
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Universal domination
    Calm
    Sticks

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

I checked through all the pages (since the search function for some reason doesn't allow for words under four letters...), and couldn't find a thread for this game.

Anyhow, I'm extremely pumped for this game. It's from Naughty Dog, the developers of the Uncharted series (and going way back, Crash Bandicoot). The Last of Us is shaping up to be some kind of mixture between survival and adventure. It's looking like an Uncharted game with zombies, more or less, which to me is beyond awesome. For those of you that don't know the Uncharted series, they are basically linear adventure games with I'd say average third person gun-play, loveable characters and astoundingly good voice acting. In TLoU, it seems like the Uncharted series weak-point (the gun-play) has been toned down as ammo for guns is supposed to be very scarce. Here is some gameplay from last year:

Of course the graphics aren't THAT hot, but hey, it's the PS3. I pretty much bought a PS3 on sale last year specifically for this game (and have since stumbled upon tons of exclusive games that have been a blast to play).

So, is anyone else out there on the forum a Naughty Dog fan and looking forward to this game? I don't think it'll disappoint, because as far as I know, Naughty Dog has yet to make a bad game.

The game is set to release on May 7th this year. With all the other exclusives coming out for the PS3 in the coming months, it's looking like it'll be a good last year for this console.

This post has been edited by Forkassal: 05 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

Money rules the world. I rule the money.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

I'm a big fan of the uncharted series. What they do with their cinematic approach to storytelling and the action packed, at times frantic gameplay, is something that a lot of current action and adventure franchises could do well by trying to emulate. There is a reason why Tomb Raider, which Uncharted is a successor of so to speak, is now copying Uncharted to regain its popularity.

I've been keeping tabs on the game and they're emphasizing that it's not (just) a zombie survival game, but rather a post apocalyptic story of two people people trying to survive in the aftermath of this fungus epidemic. Supposedly, the infected/spore carriers are not going to be the focus on the game and you're more likely to encounter regular "savage" humans in the ruins of the city. There's also suggestions that you can trade or simply pass by these human encounters, giving you the option of avoiding a dangerous and potentially expensive fight, in a world where ammo and supplies is a priceless commodity.

I can't wait to see what the studio does with the two protagonists. The interaction between Nathan Drake, Sullivan and Chloe is something that always brings a smile to my face and occasionally a tear to my eye. In many ways the fondness I have for these people mimic my appreciation of Butchers characters in the Dresden Files. A series that also specializes in building deep emotional resonance with the reader.

#3 User is offline   ForkassalOfTheInnerCircle 

Calm
    Sticks

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

View PostAptorius, on 06 February 2013 - 06:09 PM, said:

I'm a big fan of the uncharted series. What they do with their cinematic approach to storytelling and the action packed, at times frantic gameplay, is something that a lot of current action and adventure franchises could do well by trying to emulate. There is a reason why Tomb Raider, which Uncharted is a successor of so to speak, is now copying Uncharted to regain its popularity.

I've been keeping tabs on the game and they're emphasizing that it's not (just) a zombie survival game, but rather a post apocalyptic story of two people people trying to survive in the aftermath of this fungus epidemic. Supposedly, the infected/spore carriers are not going to be the focus on the game and you're more likely to encounter regular "savage" humans in the ruins of the city. There's also suggestions that you can trade or simply pass by these human encounters, giving you the option of avoiding a dangerous and potentially expensive fight, in a world where ammo and supplies is a priceless commodity.

I can't wait to see what the studio does with the two protagonists. The interaction between Nathan Drake, Sullivan and Chloe is something that always brings a smile to my face and occasionally a tear to my eye. In many ways the fondness I have for these people mimic my appreciation of Butchers characters in the Dresden Files. A series that also specializes in building deep emotional resonance with the reader.

This is what I liked most about the Uncharted series, and is also what has got me the most pumped for TLoU. The interactions between characters pretty much carried the first Uncharted game for me, as, let's face it, the gameplay was rather sloppy.

As for the option of bypassing combat, I recently watched an interview on gametrailers.com where the developers stated that SOME fights you can just sneak by, while in others you will be forced to fight. How many "some" are remains to be seen.

Right now I'm just trying to keep my hopes moderately realistic, but after just discovering how awesome Uncharted 3's coop arena mode is (literally found it two hours ago), I'm finding my brain hyping TLoU through the roof.

This post has been edited by Forkassal: 07 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

#4 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:08 AM

I realise that this isn't an Uncharted thread, but I felt like I had to pass on what one of the reviewers I read said about Nathan Drake (paraphrased because I don't remember the exact wording).
"Drake is basically Indiana Jones, if Indiana was played by Nathan Fillion"
This made me laugh, and I whole heartedly agree :p

I'm definitely curious to check this game out as well. Haven't looked at it in ages, but it should be good.
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#5 User is offline   ForkassalOfTheInnerCircle 

Calm
    Sticks

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostLucifer, on 07 February 2013 - 03:08 AM, said:

I realise that this isn't an Uncharted thread, but I felt like I had to pass on what one of the reviewers I read said about Nathan Drake (paraphrased because I don't remember the exact wording).
"Drake is basically Indiana Jones, if Indiana was played by Nathan Fillion"
This made me laugh, and I whole heartedly agree :p

I'm definitely curious to check this game out as well. Haven't looked at it in ages, but it should be good.

Hah, I love Nathan Fillion :p.

As for the game, I'm contemplating pre-ordering the Ellie (Collector's) Edition today, as this is one of those games where I want the full experience (art book and whatnot).

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

A couple years ago Fillion tried to campaign himself into the role of Drake for the movie, but it went to Mark Wahlberg instead. But since then lots of people (including David O. Russell) dropped out of the project, so it's probably all up in the air again in terms of casting, if it ever gets made.

Aside from all that, The Last of Us looks awesome.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:31 AM

View Postworrywort, on 08 February 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

A couple years ago Fillion tried to campaign himself into the role of Drake for the movie, but it went to Mark Wahlberg instead. But since then lots of people (including David O. Russell) dropped out of the project, so it's probably all up in the air again in terms of casting, if it ever gets made.

I think there's no doubt that Fillion would be the perfect choice for Drake. Same ironic, self satisfied, sarcastic sense of humor, even looks similar.

Seems the hype around the series has died down a bit since Uncharted 2 though.

#8 User is offline   ForkassalOfTheInnerCircle 

Calm
    Sticks

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostAptorius, on 09 February 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

View Postworrywort, on 08 February 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

I think there's no doubt that Fillion would be the perfect choice for Drake. Same ironic, self satisfied, sarcastic sense of humor, even looks similar.

Seems the hype around the series has died down a bit since Uncharted 2 though.

Yeah, it has. As far as I konw, U2 has a comparably active, if not even more so, than U3.

#9 User is offline   ForkassalOfTheInnerCircle 

Calm
    Sticks

Posted 15 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

View PostBriar King, on 10 February 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

I've still yet to get UC3. UC2 was epic though! My Ex Wife(who hated when I play games) and my kids would demand I play in the afternoon cause it was basically a fucking movie. She loved Morrowind back when were dating as well as Skies of Arcadia.

Pretty much everyone says that 2 is superior to 3, but honestly, I thought they were about equal.

I got my pre-order on the Ellie Edition down a couple of days ago. Feels good, man, feels god. Getting more excited each day.

#10 User is offline   ForkassalOfTheInnerCircle 

Calm
    Sticks

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

Found a new interview:

Dang those infected look disgusting.

This post has been edited by ForkassalOfTheInnerCircle: 01 March 2013 - 08:21 AM

#11 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Ah, there is a thread for this... awesome! I just started the game. The opening sequence is amazing. It evokes in you all that is awesome about the Walking Dead tv series. I'm looking forward to spending time with this game.

#12 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

So far I've played through the intro stages, and am really getting into it now.

It has a good mix of story, action, horror and stealth so far. Kind of Walking Dead meets The Road, with some Hitman elements thrown in. Quite early on you find that some of the infected, the 'clickers' (they use sonar/echo location) will kill you outright if they get up close. I'm already hoarding ammo, and using bits of timber, tire irons, bricks etc to kill the 'easier' infected. You need the guns for the nasties, and the human soldiers that occasionally catch up with you. Once you can make shivs, you can stealth kill, but you have to get into the right place or you get seen, swamped, and then the clickers get you.

You can upgrade anything with other junk you find lying around, too - so after smacking things around with a crow bar for a bit, I got to attach a pair of scissors to the end of it for a one-hit kill (which was single use, but still useful). You kind of have to choose what to make though - the same ingredients for a med kit will also make a molotov, so depending on your situation you might want to pick carefully. I was hiding behind some crates mid-shoot out, having to bandage myself up - which takes a while when you're in a hurry.

Dark, claustrophobic and creepy in parts - it's good to get back out into the sunlight after a trip through the waterlogged, spore-filled subway. The city looks great, it's good to see a post-apocalyptic city that has some green in it for a change.

Really want to play more, but it's late and I have an 11 hour shift tomorrow.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 21 June 2013 - 10:19 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#13 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:05 AM

Finished the game.... wow... just.....

Such an emotional game. I've a feeling that some will not like the ending, but if you've been invested in the story from the beginning it's just.... wow.... just . . .

#14 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:53 AM

Just beat it.

While some elements surprised me, I predicted the overall direction of the story. This wasn't a bad thing, though, as it was so well written.

Spoiler

uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#15 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 June 2019 - 07:56 PM

*bump

So, some strong rumors dropped recently that The Last of Us Part II will be coming February 2020. Holy crap! If that is true, the Spring release window for 2020 gonna be insane! decisions... decisions!! *EvilFingerTapping Posted Image

I'm tellin' ya guys, everyone trying to get one last squeeze from the current consoles before E3 2020 and PS5 / Xbox Project Scarlett (awww she sexy though) takes your money Christmas 2020.

#16 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:08 PM

So the voice actress that does the voice of Ellie, Ashley Johnson, is a member of Critical Role, a group of voice actors that play Dungeons and Dragons online and which has gained massive popularity.

She recently did an interview on "Between the Sheets" which is an interview show where Brian W. Foster (her boyfriend or fiance) interviews the voice actors to get a bunch of backstory on their lives. Lots of interesting stuff, and she talks a LITTLE bit about Last of Us 2.

I found it very interesting, though I've never played the game much.

Between the Sheets: Ashley Johnson
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#17 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:10 AM

Game was phenomenal. Gonna give it another play through about a month before 2 comes out.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#18 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 November 2019 - 01:47 PM

View PostBfuckinK, on 16 November 2019 - 04:22 AM, said:

Is the whole game walking to the capital building?

Nope!
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#19 User is offline   Galactic Council 

• God
  • Group: Game Mod

Posted 16 November 2019 - 08:15 PM

Last of Us was recently on PS Plus so I played through the whole game. Quite an excellent game and yeah, the sounds that clickers make were fucking stressful!

#20 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:06 PM

Contains spoilers.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users