• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rake W.I.P.

#21 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

View PostBugg, on 19 January 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

A lot of comic book art today has pretty realistic gradient and shading while maintaining the traditional lines of the inker. Actually most of it. It's not really realistic but it looks cool.

I wrote up a long-ish posting on that and then remembered why I post in this subforum only every few months...

Basically, just because many comics do that does not mean it's good or desirable. Many comics are drawn and coloured by up to four people. Take a look at those comics that are both drawn and coloured by the same person and you will see a huge difference. The styles that look the most harmonious/expressive are often those that are not trying to be realistic.

Dolmen expressed my opinion in a much nicer way than I could be bothered. I like how where this is going, and will add that what it needs is some good old-fashioned drama, as in more contrast between lights and darks, and as Dolmen already mentioned that might be difficult to achieve if you want to keep the lines as is.

Sadly, since I'm not really into that kind of style (while I still like your piece), I can't comment on how to get around that issue. If you want to keep the style a webcomic that uses it comes to mind; maybe you can snatch some ideas on what to do for backgrounds there. But again, there's not really much happening shades/lights-wise.

Edit: I just remembered, the graphic novel Pride of Baghdad does a pretty good job of using realistic shading to convey atmosphere while keeping mostly clear linework, iirc. Also, good examples of doable backgrounds.

This post has been edited by Puck: 20 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#22 User is offline   High House Dark 

• Gooseberry Extraordinaire

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

View PostPuck, on 19 January 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

I wrote up a long-ish posting on that and then remembered why I post in this subforum only every few months...

Basically, just because many comics do that does not mean it's good or desirable. Many comics are drawn and coloured by up to four people. Take a look at those comics that are both drawn and coloured by the same person and you will see a huge difference. The styles that look the most harmonious/expressive are often those that are not trying to be realistic.

I agree, I think I've given up trying hard for realism and am now just trying to be consistent with my own style (even though it sometimes frustrates me and I'd like to reject it or grow out of it or something).

View PostPuck, on 19 January 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

Dolmen expressed my opinion in a much nicer way than I could be bothered. I like how where this is going, and will add that what it needs is some good old-fashioned drama, as in more contrast between lights and darks, and as Dolmen already mentioned that might be difficult to achieve if you want to keep the lines as is.

Sadly, since I'm not really into that kind of style (while I still like your piece), I can't comment on how to get around that issue. If you want to keep the style a webcomic that uses it comes to mind; maybe you can snatch some ideas on what to do for backgrounds there. But again, there's not really much happening shades/lights-wise.

Haha don't worry about being 'nice' or whatever - I asked for critique in the first place, so you can say whatever, I'll never take it personally.

And yeaaahh, it's lacking drama.........with my thick black lines............ aldfjadl;fjakldfhgkladjfjasdl;fl.

Once I'm done going overboard with the armor (ha. ha. ha.), I'll probably leave this alone for a while. I think I'm starting to noodle it. Noodling. Whatever it's called. Also, I don't think I've said this yet, but thanks everybody for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

Attached File  Anomander v3 by HHD.png (310.33K)
Number of downloads: 0
Currently re-reading the entire series and waiting for Fall of Light. You can catch me in the chat to win a drawing request!~MISANDRY FOR LIFE MUAHAHA~

#23 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

Now give him a mustache.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#24 User is offline   High House Dark 

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:32 AM

View Postworrywort, on 20 January 2013 - 01:13 AM, said:

Now give him a mustache.

Attached File  whyyy would u want that.png (122.95K)
Number of downloads: 0
Currently re-reading the entire series and waiting for Fall of Light. You can catch me in the chat to win a drawing request!~MISANDRY FOR LIFE MUAHAHA~

#25 User is offline   High House Dark 

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

Ok this is it. I'm as done as I'll ever beeeeeeeee pthththpthpthtphthpth.

(you can also click through for the deviantart post)

Attached File  Anomander_by_Nina the Tiny.png (508.02K)
Number of downloads: 2

#26 User is offline   Bugg's Construction 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Nice work. Armor looks great. Only small issue I have is the highlights on the right side of his hair. Just a tad too busy maybe?
“No sir. I judged as greatest the need of the Bridgeburners for the munitions in this carriage—’ ‘Shh! Don’t use that word, you fool!’ ‘Sorry, sir. Perhaps, then, we should invent some other term – something innocuous, that we could use freely.’ ‘Good idea. How about … kittens?’ ‘Kittens, sir? Why not? Now then, our carriage full of kittens is not something that can be abandoned, is it, sir?”

-The Crippled God

#27 User is offline   Sibylle 

• Recruit

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Very nice, as said before :D I like the fact that his face is hard to see due to shadows and skin tone, while still posessing enough details to see the mouth and nose etc. if one looks hard enough :D
shop.RalphHuijgen.nl

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users