• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

K'Chain Che'Malle(digital illustration)

#1 User is offline   Bugg's Construction 

• Recruit
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

Hi! New member here. Someone on Reddit told me I should post this here. I've been painting digitally for a little over a year and have drawn and painted in acrylics off and on through the years. I am currently on Toll the Hounds and loving the series. I got the idea for this painting while reading the scene in Bonehunters where Kalam is hanging off the bottom of the sky keep.

Attached File(s)

“No sir. I judged as greatest the need of the Bridgeburners for the munitions in this carriage—’ ‘Shh! Don’t use that word, you fool!’ ‘Sorry, sir. Perhaps, then, we should invent some other term – something innocuous, that we could use freely.’ ‘Good idea. How about … kittens?’ ‘Kittens, sir? Why not? Now then, our carriage full of kittens is not something that can be abandoned, is it, sir?”

-The Crippled God

#2 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

I done soiled me armor.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

That's pretty wicked. Good job.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   High House Dark 

• Gooseberry Extraordinaire

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

Ooooooooo nice! My only suggestion is maybe not washing it out so much? You've got a solid color scheme going, and nice contrast, but the highlights are a big strong, imo.
Currently re-reading the entire series and waiting for Fall of Light. You can catch me in the chat to win a drawing request!~MISANDRY FOR LIFE MUAHAHA~

#5 User is offline   Bugg's Construction 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostHigh House Dark, on 14 January 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

Ooooooooo nice! My only suggestion is maybe not washing it out so much? You've got a solid color scheme going, and nice contrast, but the highlights are a big strong, imo.

That's a valid point. I originally intended for it to be a higher contrast piece, but kind of got obsessed with the details in the mid ranges. I don't think I could go back and fix the highlights without completely redoing from scratch though(those scales on the armor were a bitch). This is only my 7th digital painting, and every one teaches me a lot, so next one will be better. Thanks for the suggestion though!
“No sir. I judged as greatest the need of the Bridgeburners for the munitions in this carriage—’ ‘Shh! Don’t use that word, you fool!’ ‘Sorry, sir. Perhaps, then, we should invent some other term – something innocuous, that we could use freely.’ ‘Good idea. How about … kittens?’ ‘Kittens, sir? Why not? Now then, our carriage full of kittens is not something that can be abandoned, is it, sir?”

-The Crippled God

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

NICE!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Simply great! And it's only your seventh? Woah... . If there's anything we can do to convince you to post more, just say the word; human sacrifices are NOT out of the question.
We are the Vord. Prepare to be assimilated. Furycrafting is futile.

#8 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

I love it. I Keep wishing you had a slight radial blur emphasizing the sound of a kchain screech/roar type thing. tones are good! would like to see your other stuff, do you have a DA account?
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#9 User is offline   High House Dark 

• Gooseberry Extraordinaire

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

View PostBugg, on 14 January 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

That's a valid point. I originally intended for it to be a higher contrast piece, but kind of got obsessed with the details in the mid ranges. I don't think I could go back and fix the highlights without completely redoing from scratch though(those scales on the armor were a bitch). This is only my 7th digital painting, and every one teaches me a lot, so next one will be better. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Ah yeah, of course, and I'm amazed this is only your 7th! I found transitioning from traditional to digital felt like learning how to draw all over again, but since you've painted traditionally, it's probably a lot more helpful (I'm a line person and I REALLY need to practice painting more). And I second Dolmen, I'd love to see your other stuff. Also, what program do you use and what kind of tablet? Just curious :D
Currently re-reading the entire series and waiting for Fall of Light. You can catch me in the chat to win a drawing request!~MISANDRY FOR LIFE MUAHAHA~

#10 User is offline   Bugg's Construction 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

View PostDolmen+, on 14 January 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

I love it. I Keep wishing you had a slight radial blur emphasizing the sound of a kchain screech/roar type thing. tones are good! would like to see your other stuff, do you have a DA account?

Not yet but soon. Like I said I haven't been doing this for long so my portfolio is kind of sad. I have some stuff up on http://bdouglas8.minus.com ...however most of it is not fantasy related, just stuff I have made for family's walls and what not.
However fantasy art is my ultimate goal so I will be doing more in the near future. I am pretty sure Karsa Orlong in some form is what I will be tackling next.

-The Crippled God

#11 User is offline   Bugg's Construction 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

View PostHigh House Dark, on 14 January 2013 - 06:07 PM, said:

View PostBugg, on 14 January 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

Ah yeah, of course, and I'm amazed this is only your 7th! I found transitioning from traditional to digital felt like learning how to draw all over again, but since you've painted traditionally, it's probably a lot more helpful (I'm a line person and I REALLY need to practice painting more). And I second Dolmen, I'd love to see your other stuff. Also, what program do you use and what kind of tablet? Just curious :D

I use Corel Painter 12 and a Wacom Intuos3. I have almost gotten my wife on board with getting me a Yiynova MSP19U , which many are calling the Cintiq Killer, since it is 1/3 the price and apparently has a better display.

-The Crippled God

#12 User is offline   Dutch 

• Bridgeburner
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen, American Football, Quick Ben

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Nice K'ell Hunter, absolutely great work.

I also love the Skykeeps in the background.
Sappers have a saying, he muttered. "Wide eyed stupid"

#13 User is offline   BlackMoranthofDoom 

• Fist
  • Interests:gaming, watching movies, listening to metal

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

Nice work, keep it up.Love the K'ell hunter.

Correct me if I'm wrong since my memory's a bit shaky, but aren't the cities of skykeeps carved into the mountain rather than being built on top?

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

View PostBlackMoranthofDoom, on 09 February 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong since my memory's a bit shaky, but aren't the cities of skykeeps carved into the mountain rather than being built on top?

We've seen a few variations. No hardfast rule really.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#15 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Looks like an awesome combination of both anyway, really. Especially love the ramp.

This post has been edited by Stalking Stonny: 11 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#16 User is offline   BlackMoranthofDoom 

• Fist
  • Interests:gaming, watching movies, listening to metal

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostAbyss, on 09 February 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

View PostBlackMoranthofDoom, on 09 February 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

We've seen a few variations. No hardfast rule really.

Thanks for the clarification.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users