#1 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:31 PM

[Spoilers spoilers are spoilerfull up until Changes!]

Just finished Changes and I have to say this book was my favorite Dresden offering to date. The gravity of the story was amazing. I just didn't expect butcher to shift gears like this. Absolute master stroke and I might lie and say I saw it coming but I'd be lying. Maggie was a plot twist that hit me straight out of left field. After reading side jobs I felt amped to see where Murphy, Thomas, Sanya, Mouse and Molly were headed after fighting the nickelheads in Small favor. Turn coat was great but a bit of a let down. Changes kinda fixed all that.

The sheer moments of epic rival anything in the Stormlight archives and the malazan books. Was happy to see Susan and martin again and the new perspectives offered from mouse and Lea just made the aweso-meter hit new levels. I think this has to be Butchers most inspired book this far.

All this made the one day read my quickest read ever, But the ending!!!! What the Fuck?! I cant even begin to wrap my head around it. I'm stuck in Geneva hoping to rush home and buy Ghost stories because the Dresden Crack....It BURRRRNZZZZZZ!!!!!

-Thoughts?
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#2 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

I agree 100%. Such an epic, aptly-titled book.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#3 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Agreed, best Dresdencrack book to date.

#4 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

One of the cool things about Changes is it's the first Dresden book to break from the established title scheme of two words with the same number of letters in.

And also all the crazy shit that goes down in it, holy balls
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#5 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

I think my favorite Dresden book is Ghost Story. It's got the story part down perfectly and the ghosting is pretty solid too. Harry's a good protagonist, but what really makes the Dresden books shine is the vividness and volition of the full cast of characters - many of whom are Harry's friends and enemies.

But yeah, Changes is a terrific "48 hours to stop the bomb/rescue the girl/save the planet" story.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#6 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 27 December 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

One of the cool things about Changes is it's the first Dresden book to break from the established title scheme of two words with the same number of letters in.

No it's not, that's Small Favour, although tbf that's mostly because Jim Butcher can't spell.

But yeah, Changes is awesome. And Ghost Story makes a terrific counterpoint.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 December 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

No it's not, that's Small Favour

USA! USA! USA!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:52 PM

View Postworrywort, on 27 December 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

View Postpolishgenius, on 27 December 2012 - 07:22 PM, said:

No it's not, that's Small Favour

USA! USA! USA!

There's no U in favor! It's for someone else!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#9 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

View Postamphibian, on 27 December 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

I think my favorite Dresden book is Ghost Story. It's got the story part down perfectly and the ghosting is pretty solid too. Harry's a good protagonist, but what really makes the Dresden books shine is the vividness and volition of the full cast of characters - many of whom are Harry's friends and enemies.

But yeah, Changes is a terrific "48 hours to stop the bomb/rescue the girl/save the planet" story.

I need to read Ghost Story!

NEEEED to read it.

I agree that harry is not the star so much as is Harrys world. amazing stuff right through. I had goose bumps when harry accepted the Winter mantle. That scene alone would be emmy award worthy. I don't know If I'd have killed the guy. I felt super disappointed when he took the knife but respected the thoughts running through his mind leading up to slitting the ex-winter knights throat.

It really completed Mab as a character for me. In general It felt like the dark side of the fae really had a day in the sun with this one. That whole scene with the Elf king and the wild hunt was awesome. Mouse really came into his own aswell, I love that his first ever line was "That bitch."

Is it possible to be such an awesome dog?

ARGH! so much awesome!!
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#10 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

Mouse is an amazing dog. However, I think he's the one character in this series that gets to go through everything without much of a cost.

Murph loses her standing with the Chicago Police Department every time she helps Harry. Thomas distances himself from the White Court when he does the same thing - and plus he has the whole "living with a demon" thing going on top of occasionally trying to snack on people near and dear to Harry. Susan had the whole DuMorne thing and subsequent attacks from bad guys due to the Paranet linkages. Michael was forcibly retired after helping Harry one time too many. Harry's paid all sorts of costs to do the things he has too.

But Mouse kind of sails along, occasionally fighting bad guys and getting thumped a little bit, but never seriously getting hurt or losing people or status. He's just a super-powered dog that has nearly everything he wants automatically.

#11 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

Uh, excuse me, but nearly a decade living as Mister's bitch isn't something you can just gloss over.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#12 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 27 December 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

Uh, excuse me, but nearly a decade living as Mister's bitch isn't something you can just gloss over.

Oh, the horror. The horror!

My point still stands despite Mister thumping into its argumentative legs for an affectionate rub.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 27 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Changes was a bad book and you are all bad people for liking it. Bah humbug!

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

That's how we know it's the real Apt and not an impostor.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

Not that we care what he says either way.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#16 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

I think Mouse is likely to get some costs taxed on his person eventually. I was annoyed with him at first because Butcher made him seem like a vanilla dog when he debuted with a lil extra oomph from his ancestry. I love my dog but he has no chamce against half the crap Harry faces, so I thought it arbitrary to have this simple dog taking hits from demons and such.

After reading side jobs and changes I can tell Mouse is more supernatural, possibly a demon in a dogs body with a protective/offensive aura? He's fast becoming a heavyweight, the stronger Harry gets the stronger he gets soooo maybe the worse harry gets the worse mouse becomes aswell? Its a symbiotic relationship afterall and that might suffer some abuse.

#17 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

View PostDolmen+, on 27 December 2012 - 04:31 PM, said:

-Thoughts?

There are two more books and Butcher finds ANOTHER gear shift into. You just wait. Just. Wait.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#18 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

View PostBriar King, on 28 December 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

Just remember GS is the interlude between acts I and II. Act 1 ended with Changes. Act 2 officially begins with Cold Days.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users