• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Cheap/Free Ebooks Thread!

#1741 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 September 2023 - 09:35 AM

I think I'll go with Under Heaven and then A Song for Arbonne to get me in then go from there :)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#1742 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 September 2023 - 01:43 PM

View Postpat5150, on 12 September 2023 - 08:19 PM, said:

I read them in order as they came out, so chances are I wouldn't have enjoyed Tigana as much if I'd read it after the other books Abyss mentioned.

As QT pointed out, the Sarantium duology is fabulous. And yes, the trio comprised of Children of Earth and Sky, A Brightness Long Ago, and All the Seas of the World make for great reading. And for me, both Under Heaven and River of Stars rank among his very best works.

I'm jealous of anyone who gets to discover GGK for the first time. It's like a first visit in Paris or Rome or something like that. Nothing quite compares. . .

That said, Fionavar and Last Light of the Sun shouldn't be your gateway to Kay's body of work. Chances are you won't give him another shot if you start with either.

I think FIONAVAR works for what it is. A reasonably 'informed' fantasy lit fan won't have difficulty w the tropes or inherent issues w portal fantasy. A complete newb might be thrown right out or fall deeply in love w the genre, hard to guess.

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 September 2023 - 09:35 AM, said:

I think I'll go with Under Heaven and then A Song for Arbonne to get me in then go from there :)

I see no problem w this approach. Enjoy!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1743 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 13 September 2023 - 02:03 PM

View Postpat5150, on 12 September 2023 - 08:19 PM, said:

I'm jealous of anyone who gets to discover GGK for the first time. It's like a first visit in Paris or Rome or something like that. Nothing quite compares. . .

My first visit to Paris had us nearly mugged/robbed by no less than 10 different scammers, and it stank of dog shit more often than not.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1744 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 13 September 2023 - 04:38 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 September 2023 - 02:03 PM, said:

My first visit to Paris had us nearly mugged/robbed by no less than 10 different scammers, and it stank of dog shit more often than not.

When was this? My wife and went in I think 2016, stayed about a 15-minute walk away from the Eiffel tower, and couldn't have had a more delightful experience the entire time we were there.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#1745 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 September 2023 - 04:42 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 13 September 2023 - 04:38 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 September 2023 - 02:03 PM, said:

When was this? My wife and went in I think 2016, stayed about a 15-minute walk away from the Eiffel tower, and couldn't have had a more delightful experience the entire time we were there.

2015 I think? We walked all around for hours. We were accosted by thieves in front of the Palais Royale, the park near the Louvre, the park near the Eiffel Tower, the street in front of the Opera House, the street near Sacre Cour, and the street in Montmartre outside of a bakery shop (I could be forgetting some).

And yeah, French people don't pick up after their dogs apparently...so it smelled a lot.

eDIT: Bear in mind we were on a Cruise, and this was an excursion and you wear a badge to identify your group so you can get the right bus back to the ship...so perhaps that marked us? But considering that I read that Barcelona was the worst for pickpockets and thieves...Paris was terrible and we never encountered any one in Barcelona in the three days we were there. Nowhere else in our whole trip to many cities that 2 weeks were as bad for thieves as Paris....Venice was a close second.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 13 September 2023 - 04:44 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1746 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 14 September 2023 - 02:01 AM

Damn QT, I've been to Paris like 5 times or so and never had any trouble. Then again, I'm a French speaker and I never wore such a badge. I figure it's a magnet for lots of unwanted attention. :(
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#1747 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 September 2023 - 02:02 PM

View Postpat5150, on 14 September 2023 - 02:01 AM, said:

Damn QT, I've been to Paris like 5 times or so and never had any trouble. Then again, I'm a French speaker and I never wore such a badge. I figure it's a magnet for lots of unwanted attention. :(

Hey I expected to enjoy it, but the MINUTE I stepped off the tour bus that brought us into the city a clipboard was jammed into my stomach and I had to SCREAM at the chick who did it cause I knew the scam. Ditto outside the Paris Opera where they tried the "Is this your ring" scam, screamed at them to get the fuck away from me.

And again, I'm baffled that in Barcelona I encountered nothing like that, even thought I was warned about it ahead of time being a haven for pickpockets. Nawp.....Paris. Craziness.

#1748 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 16 September 2023 - 02:10 PM

Timothy Zahn's Star Wars: Heir to the Empire is 3.99$on Kindle​​​​​​​.
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#1749 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 17 September 2023 - 03:47 PM

Andy Weir's Project Hail Mary is 2.99$ on Kindle.

Blake Crouch's Recursion is 2.99$ on Kindle​​​​​​​.

#1750 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 23 September 2023 - 02:06 PM

Simon R. Green's Something from the Nightside is 2.99$ on Kindle​​​​​​​.

#1751 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 27 September 2023 - 04:40 PM

Robert R. McCammon's excellent Boy's Life is 3.99$ on Kindle​​​​​​​.

#1752 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 01 October 2023 - 02:00 AM

Robert Jackson Bennett's Foundryside is 1.99$ on Kindle​​​​​​​.

#1753 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 01 October 2023 - 03:13 PM

Clive Barker's Weaveworld is 3.99$ on Kindle​​​​​​​.

#1754 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 October 2023 - 04:12 PM

Audible.com has the entire AMBERGRIS collection by Jeff Vandermeer for $7.99. That's 43 HOURS of, I am told, quality weird, for $7.99.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#1755 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 02 October 2023 - 02:00 PM

Karen Miller's The Prodigal Mage is 2.99$ on Kindle.

Its sequel, The Reluctant Mage, is 1.99$. So you can get the duology for less than 5$!

#1756 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 06 October 2023 - 01:41 PM

Peter F. Hamilton's The Reality Dysfunction is 2.99$ on Kindle​​​​​​​.

#1757 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 07 October 2023 - 10:41 PM

Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince is 0.99$ on Kindle​​​​​​​.

#1758 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 07 October 2023 - 10:51 PM

N. K. Jemisin's The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is 2.99$ on Kindle​​​​​​​.

#1759 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 10 October 2023 - 02:09 PM

Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens is 2.99$ on Kindle​​​​​​​.

#1760 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 11 October 2023 - 02:20 PM

S. A. Chakraborty's The City of Brass is 2.99$ on Kindle​​​​​​​.

Share this topic:

• 96 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users