Malazan Empire: Miles Cameron - The Red Knight - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Miles Cameron - The Red Knight Great book (so far) LOUSY EDITING.......

#21 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:31 PM

Powering through book 3 (The Dread Wyrm) - another cracking effort, worth the pick up if you liked the first 2
meh. Link was dead :(

#22 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:46 PM

Book 3 is out??
Purchasing tonihnt

#23 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 04 November 2015 - 06:21 PM

Little bit of a backlog here but I'm planning to get to it soon. All these video games are cutting into my reading time!

#24 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:44 AM

Finished it up the other night, another cracker. Once again, looking forward to the next one.

The fact that I have them all as TPB's and they're nice looking books helps of course :p
meh. Link was dead :(

#25 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:31 AM

Loved Book 1
Loved Book 2

Read Book 3 sometime over the last month and while I found it enthralling, and interesting I liked it least of the 3. 2/3rds of the way through and I felt like the problem was too many story threads. Story threads that seemed to be reaching a conclusion only for a setback to reset the story back to the beginning. All that aside I eagerly await book 4. The author has a way of a painting a scene and the times that work for me.

This post has been edited by Cause: 12 November 2015 - 11:49 AM

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 November 2015 - 01:20 PM

Is Miles Cameron the same person as Christian Cameron?

If so I REALLY enjoy his historical fiction books.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#27 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:16 AM

Yeah same guy

Eta, I'm surprised I haven't actually read any of his host fict, I think its mostly set in Rome, which is probably my favourite setting

This post has been edited by Macros: 13 November 2015 - 07:17 AM

#28 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:51 PM

Book 3
Just over 1/3 in
Want to reach into the book and stab de Rohan repeatedly.
Then take the new bishop and beat him to death with de Rohan's bloody corpse.
Not since Mallick Rel have I have had such a vehement dislike for a protagonist in a novel. My god but Cameron knows how to write a horrible bastard

#29 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:46 PM

View PostMacros, on 19 November 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

Book 3
Just over 1/3 in
Want to reach into the book and stab de Rohan repeatedly.
Then take the new bishop and beat him to death with de Rohan's bloody corpse.
Not since Mallick Rel have I have had such a vehement dislike for a protagonist in a novel. My god but Cameron knows how to write a horrible bastard

Yep. I fucking hate the Galles, de Rohan most of all.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#30 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 November 2015 - 10:08 AM

I don't hate al the Galles, D'Eu and Corce show what they're supposed to be, hut in the main, yeah they tick all the villan boxes.
Actually felt a bit sorry for D'Vrailly more than anything as his story developed.

#31 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:03 AM

View PostMacros, on 20 November 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

I don't hate al the Galles, D'Eu and Corce show what they're supposed to be, hut in the main, yeah they tick all the villan boxes.
Actually felt a bit sorry for D'Vrailly more than anything as his story developed.

A few are okay. But only a few. Blanche's POV really drives home how shitty they mostly are.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#32 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:07 AM

Very much so yes on Blanches POV

#33 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:45 PM

I wonder if I should give the books another try. I didn't finish the first one when it came out, though the premisse sounded right up my alley. What irritated me were the rapid POV shifts, sometimes no more than a paragraph or three. Why not write in downright omniscient in that case, it would have been much smoother (and since Cameron had a name already, he might have gotten away with it, despite the stupid prejudices towards ominscient in the publishing industry). So to me the whole thing felt hacked. The typos didn't help, either. And I disliked the way the captain stalked that nun, and instead of kneeing him into the family jewels, she kissed the guy. So I didn't fall in love, or even interest, with the writing and a character who I think is supposed to be a MC. Does it get better?

#34 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

hmmm.
I didnt encounter the editing problems typo wise, unless I just didn't notice them. The POV shift continues but not quite as frequently, I don't mind it as its generally showing 3/4 sides of a conflict thats ranging over a wide wide area and the other option is to throw us 100 pages of one sid,e then scroll back 2 weeks and give us 100 pages of the other side.
I nun bit you reference I found awkward at first reading but it plays out considerably better than you think its going to.

If you REALLY didnt like Red Knight, don't bother continuing.

#35 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:06 PM

View PostMacros, on 04 November 2015 - 04:46 PM, said:

Book 3 is out??
Purchasing tonihnt

Oh..missed this completely myself..got a read this weekend.Coolness
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#36 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:12 PM

Can't say that I hated him, only disliked some of his actions - he's certainly not as big a jerk as Theon Greyjoy - but some girl should have taught him some manners. :( I was annoyed with the nun, too.

I don't mid POV shifts per se; Erikson does a good job showing all parties, for example, but he doesn't jump so abruptly (and he sneaks some POV shifts into some scenes I doubt few readers will even notice). It may be one of my pet peeves because I'm miffed that omniscient has become so unpopular. Some stories suffer from that and I thought the Red Knight is one of them.

#37 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:17 PM

Just finished the 3rd book.

The last 100 pages -
Spoiler

#38 User is offline   Dragnipurake 

• Captain

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:21 AM

Yes, that ending was a blood bath.

Love this series. Its sometimes hard to keep track of the characters particularly in book 1 as he uses different names/titles for the same character. They are big fat books and very entertaining. After reading the detail on the armor and the fighting style, it gets hard to not laugh at battles/fights that other authors write. He appears to have a prolific writing pace, so the wait to next book should be short.

The Ill Made Knight and the Long Sword by the same author (Christian Cameron) are possibly better than this series, although these are historical fiction and not fantasy. The Tom Swan series is also very good. Haven't read any of his other historical fiction books except a little bit of the book on Alexander (God of War), which did not feel as engaging, at least till the part I read.

#39 User is offline   Jahdu 

• Corporal

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:32 PM

Bought this the other day... Am so, so happy!!!! 60 pages in so far and loving every bit of it.
The writing may not be as beautiful or flowing as say for eg Pat Rothfuss but by golly the story
is so damn gripping and finely told.

#40 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:40 PM

Series finished up and the series was really good. Last book was so much action. Basically fights on three fronts, so the action was constant and very well written. It sort of seemed a little rushed towards the end, but the series as a whole was very good and didnt have a let down like some series do as it goes on.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users