Malazan Empire: Cold Days - Quick Tidal's Rolling Spoiler Thread - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cold Days - Quick Tidal's Rolling Spoiler Thread Let's talk about this baby!

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:36 AM

A rolling thread as I read to talk about shit...and probably with abyss who also now has the book!

[MODGOD EDIT to note posts from COLD DAYS anticipation thread imported]

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 November 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

So I picked this up today, over a week early. Ain't no thang. You know, all in a days SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111111111111111

Posted Image

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 November 2012 - 12:51 AM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 18 November 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

What's the pg count? Oh yeah fuck you for getting it early to!!

It's 515 pages.

I'm 5 chapters in...Can I just say that chapter 4 is bad-ass.

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 November 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

This is probably not going to garner me any sympathy, but I'm already 100 pages in and I feel like I'm reading it too fast! Trying to savour it, while being bathed in Dresden crack is like resisting cake or beer...

So far...(spoilers up to the end of Chapter 10-11)

Spoiler

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 November 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

BEST line so far.

Spoiler

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 November 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

This book is like that crack that's been set out on a plate in a fancy hotel room, the pipe is made of Diamond encrusted bacon and you can eat it after you get your fix.

It's. Damn. Good.

It's lunch time at work, time for another hit...

Oh Yeah!

Spoiler

I feel the hate pouring off you guys. Goooood, gooooood....give in to your hate and read the sample chapters.

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 November 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

Finding it early was probably good luck from having read the sample chapters a few times.

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 November 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

Every chance I get to read this book is like cream, sweet delicious cream.

If it helps I DO hope the lot of you get your copies soon! We need to chat about this.

Fuck, I'm only 12 chapters in and I already NEED to talk about it.

Spoiler

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 November 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

Chapter 16 ending...

Spoiler

Chapter 17...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Abyss: 20 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 November 2012 - 03:36 AM, said:

A rolling thread as I read to talk about shit...and probably with abyss who also now has the book!

Chapter 17...

Spoiler

Spoiler

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

SPOILERS for up to page 220:

big ass spoilers.

don't fuck around.....here there be spoilers....

the spoilers scare easily enough, but they'll be back and in greater numbers.

you were warned.

So Let's see, where were we....oh right, so Fix has threatened Harry now and called him out for high noon, and Harry's Winter mantle is already beginning to cause him to be a little hotter under the collar, and a little more vicious....but at least he still doesn't want to kill/fight Fix.

I can fucking TASTE Marcone being just around the corner...I KNOW he's going to show up soon.

And Murphy hasn't shown up yet either....I'm going to imagine that his reunion with her will be more emotional than with Thomas or Molly.

I keep having to remember that altho Harry saw most of these people in the last book, that most of them haven't seen HIM since Chitchen Itza. Loving the reunions and "where the fuck were you's?"

Missing Mouse and Mister. Tho Cat Sith is scratching my "pet" itch....if your pet was a violent psychopathic cougar with no boundaries.

The shootout on the boat was nicely done, quick and action-y without going overboard. Pun intended.

The combination of Demonsreach and Odin (Vadderung) explaining about what exactly will happen to the island and how Harry can fix it was well done, since Butcher continues to attribute knowledge to the bigger members of the Grey Council, and old gods tend to know a lot so that was nice to see.

Thomas and Molly bickering was funny and I lol'ed at their "thug", "flunky" "lackey" thing.

Okay so according to Thomas it sounds like Harry is going to have to choose between Molly and Murphy. I actually didn't even properly realize that Molly was on the cards for love interest for Harry...since her mother would have a hairy fit about it...but it's funny, I can see him with Molly more than I can see him with Murphy. I don't know why, I just can.

Be back later with more. Nearing the halfway point of the book and it's been non-stop excellence so far.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:58 PM

Spoilers for up to Chapter 24 ending (page 244)

Major fuck off spoilers...

seriously......

don't fuck around now.....

Turn the fuck back if you've not read this far yet...

The parasite is a madness that infected Victor Sells, Agent Denton and Leonid Kravos...and made them go totally insane and do the things they did...and now it's infected Mab and so Lily and Maeve have teamed up and Mab needs to be stopped.

Holy fucksticks!

I wasn't expecting that.

Talk about planting seed early for a plot point....all the way back in book 1. Wow. Impressive, most impressive.

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 November 2012 - 02:15 PM, said:

This is probably not going to garner me any sympathy, but I'm already 100 pages in and I feel like I'm reading it too fast! Trying to savour it, while being bathed in Dresden crack is like resisting cake or beer...

So far...(spoilers up to the end of Chapter 10-11)

Spoiler

i LOVED that bit....
Spoiler

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 November 2012 - 04:09 PM, said:

BEST line so far.

Spoiler

Conveniently, five min later....

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 November 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

...Fuck, I'm only 12 chapters in and I already NEED to talk about it.

Spoiler

I absolutely love how
Spoiler

View PostQuickTidal, on 20 November 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

Chapter 16 ending...

Spoiler

And
Spoiler

#6 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hokay, I can't stop reading. I'm nearly done.

spoilers for up to Chapter 45-ish....round page 465.

spoilers

muthafuzucking spoilers

spoilery spoilers

Okay so only Jim Butcher could tell me Mab said Harry had to kill Maeve, then lead me astray and unite Lily with Maeve AGAINST Mab claiming she had a madness / parasite / infection from an otherworldly source, and so Harry has to then kill Mab.....only to not TOTALLY buy Maeve and Lily's side of thing so he visits Mother Winter and Mother Summer...to be shown....

HOLY

FUCK

If there is one thing that COLD DAYS is going to be know for (down the road), it's for the most significant piece of world building in the series yet.

One chapter (Chapter 33) and especially one line Rashid (Gatekeeper): "Ah yes. They can be impressive the first time you see them. Welcome, Warden Dresden, to the Outer Gates."

Gooseflesh.

You mean to tell me that the universe is constantly at war / battle in some way against the Outsiders (things / creatures / tentacles / ancient beings) at an actual set of physical gates (Oh and Rashid is the GATEKEEPER....mind=blown) and that Mab keeps them at bay with wave after wave after wave of thousands of Winter Sidhe troops?!

Oh and then our dear Mr. Butcher uses that fact to swing things around about the Courts of Faerie and their current inner strife AGAIN back to being on Mab's side because it is she who century after century keeps the gates manned and the Outsiders at bay and even the thought of flippant, violent Maeve in that position turns Harry's stomach...and it turns out the real target is STILL Maeve as she is the one who was infected by the "Adversary" outside the gates and it allows her to lie. She's tricked Lily into supporting her in her attempt to free the creatures of the Well on Demonreach.

Fuck me.

Twist after twist after twist.

It turns out Abyss and I were right to think it was Maeve, but Butcher spends a whole whack of time cleverly leading us a wild goose chase that makes us think it can't possibly be her...only to bring us back to that point. Amazing.

Again, well played sir, well fucking played.

A few other things.

I know I said earlier I supported Harry and Molly, but once Murphy showed up (sorry, Dresden finally begins to refer and think of her as Karrin in this book...I think she's only called Murphy once?) and her relationship with Harry is deep and I can see them together now. Plus, finally Harry gets a LITTLE sugar in the form of two kisses.

Lacuna! I love Toot and all, but Lacuna is hilarious in how she responds to things. So proper and literal. Plus Toot's "wow" when she roughs up his Jolly Rancher present made me LOL. She's a perfect foil and obvious love interest for him in upcoming books. Methinks she'll stick around with Dresden.

Poor Cat Sith. Poor poor Cat Sith.

Um, motorcycle / wild hunt showdown with Santa Claus? fucking amazing.

Subsequently LEADING the Wild Hunt? Holy shit!

The Wild Hunt changing form of mounts to fight under the water from horses and such to Killer Whales and Sharks? HOLY SHIT! So excellent.

Mouse!

We've not seen Lara and Co. or Marcone and the Vikings , but they are around and I hope to see them before things are over.

Only 50 pages left! Boo for no more Dresden till next year.

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

Phew...okay marathon hour of reading over lunch and I finished it.

You got that? So this is going to be spoilers for the last 50 pages of the book

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers............

Wow. That was a mindfuck of an ending.

Sarissa is Maeve's identical twin!

After this is revealed I realized that she was probably being groomed for the Winter Lady mantle....

but of course Maeve changes the game, kills Lily and Sarissa becomes the new Summer Lady instead?! Holy fuckballs.

oh, so now there isn't a spirit to go into the Winter Lady mantle close by when Maeve is put down...or is there?....what will Mab do?

Everyone of Harry's friends are incapacitated...except one...and it was around this time I got a sinking feeling in my chest.

Molly.

Oh gods, Molly.

So Molly is the new Winter Lady? I'm scared...but a BIG part of me is overjoyed that when Mab bites it at some point, Molly will be the one defending the Outer Gates!

A hell of an ending to an absolutely STELLAR volume in the series. Liked this one as much as CHANGES in fact.

Oh and my guess as to just who Mac is...I think he used to have Rashid's job as the Wizard at the Outer Gates...I could be wrong, but he's said "I'm out." both times he was asked here and that just makes sense to me.

and I LOVED, LOVED LOVED HArry's last chat with Kringle....and ....KRINGLE is VADDERUNG!!! AKA Odin. You go that? Odin, king of the gods damned Norse gods...is also Santa Claus! Perfection. Absolute Perfection!

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 November 2012 - 06:40 PM

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:24 AM

...I canfucking TASTE Marcone being just around the corner...I KNOW he's going to showup soon.

...or not. Kinda bummed about that. That's two books now without him.

Thomas and Molly bickering was funny and I lol'ed at their"thug", "flunky"
"lackey" thing.

LOVED.

If there is one thing that COLD DAYS is going to be know for (down theroad),
it's for the most significant piece of world building in the series yet.

One chapter (Chapter 33) and especially one line Rashid (Gatekeeper):
"Ah yes. They can be impressive the first time you see them. Welcome,Warden
Dresden, to the Outer Gates."

Gooseflesh.

You mean to tell me
that the universe is constantly at war / battle in some way against the
Outsiders (things / creatures / tentacles / ancient beings) at an actual set of
physical gates (Oh and Rashid is the GATEKEEPER....mind=blown) and that Mab
keeps them at bay with wave after wave after wave of thousands of Winter Sidhe
troops?!

Oh and then our dear Mr. Butcher uses that fact to swing things
around about the Courts of Faerie and their current inner strife AGAIN back to
being on Mab's side because it is she who century after century keepsthe
gates manned and the Outsiders at bay and even the thought of flippant, violent
Maeve in that position turns Harry's stomach...and it turns out the real target
is STILL Maeve as she is the one who was infected by the "Adversary"outside the
gates and it allows her to lie. She's tricked Lily into supporting her in her
attempt to free the creatures of the Well on Demonreach.

Fuck
me.

Twist after twist after twist.

Agreed. Not my favourite book, but possibly one of my fave scenes in the series.

…Lacuna! I love Toot and all, but Lacuna is hilarious in how sheresponds to things. So proper and literal. Plus Toot's "wow" when sheroughs up his Jolly Rancher present made me LOL. She's a perfect foil andobvious love interest for him in upcoming books. Methinks she'll stick aroundwith Dresden.

Liked her,hope she'll stick around.

Poor Cat Sith. Poor poor Cat Sith.

Kinda bummedabout that. Credit to Butcher for intro'ing him and giving enuf development in limitedscenes that his 'death' had as muchimpact.

Um, motorcycle / wild hunt showdown with Santa Claus? fucking amazing.

Subsequently LEADING the Wild Hunt? Holy shit!

Best. Chase.Ever.

The Wild Hunt changing form of mounts to fight under the water fromhorses and such to Killer Whales and Sharks? HOLY SHIT! So excellent.

That part blew my mind.

…Molly.

Oh gods, Molly.

So Molly is the new Winter Lady? I'm scared...but a BIG part of me is overjoyedthat when Mab bites it at some point, Molly will be the one defending the OuterGates!

Serious gamechanger with some wild long term implications.

and I LOVED, LOVED LOVED HArry's last chat with Kringle....and....KRINGLE is VADDERUNG!!! AKA Odin. You go that? Odin, king of the godsdamned Norse gods...is also Santa Claus! Perfection. Absolute Perfection!

It WAS awesome. Butcher clearly has a bunch of fun writing Odin.

#9 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

Not read any of this thread... Demonreach is WHAT?!?!?!?

Original Merlin was THAT powerful?!?!?

Book's getting finished tonight! Fuck me.... Dresdencrack.... aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#10 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

Yes, think this now starts a subplot with romance between Lacuna and Toot toot. And probably an more detailed unveiling of the little folks. If you think about it, they have been present for quite some time, but not very much is known of them

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#11 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

View PostBriar King, on 05 December 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

I think that Lacuna officially belongs to Harry now since Ace went away.

I don't know that much about lord/vassal relations from the medieval ages, so this is a question I probably would just accept any and all answers for - but are you sure Lacuna's loyalty doesn't just jump to the next guy up in Ace's hierarchy of bad guys?

If there was someone running Ace, would Lacuna know of it and thus have to transfer loyalty to him or her or is she indeed a free agent and now free to glom on with Dresden?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#12 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:43 AM

Since she gave herself up in order to save her life, her loyality transferred to Dresden. It is a binding commitment until, as the book notes, dresden fails his responsibility.

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

#13 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:47 AM

View Postamphibian, on 05 December 2012 - 03:28 AM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 05 December 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

I think that Lacuna officially belongs to Harry now since Ace went away.

I don't know that much about lord/vassal relations from the medieval ages, so this is a question I probably would just accept any and all answers for - but are you sure Lacuna's loyalty doesn't just jump to the next guy up in Ace's hierarchy of bad guys?

If there was someone running Ace, would Lacuna know of it and thus have to transfer loyalty to him or her or is she indeed a free agent and now free to glom on with Dresden?

Having surrendered to Harry and since he isn't ransoming her, I'm under the impression that Lacuna is now a vassal of Harrys like Toot is. Harrysworn, if you will.

Also -> You got Santa is Vadderung? I am/was under the impression that he was more of a brother to, and had talked to, Vadderung. That was all Vadderung could to for Harry at the time, so that is what he did. Maybe talked to the Goblin King as well.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 05 December 2012 - 05:48 AM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#14 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

As I see it, Kringle is a figure that Odin uses for when he doesnt wanne to all old god on you, but want to "fit in", which is a funny concept when you think about who is participating in the party. And it enables him to act more free than if he came as Odin.

In the same way, I think that is why he joined the wild hunt as kringle, because it would not be a possibility to join as a powerful old god (i dont doubt that the goblin king knows it is him, but appereances matter). And as Kringle, he can lose to harry without losing respect/face - nobody would buy that if he was odin.

#15 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Halloween is a time for putting on and taking off masks (which Mantles were implied to part of). I would guess that At the end of Halloween, Kringle puts on the Santa Mantle?
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostObdigore, on 05 December 2012 - 05:47 AM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 05 December 2012 - 03:28 AM, said:

... are you sure Lacuna's loyalty doesn't just jump to the next guy up in Ace's hierarchy of bad guys?

Having surrendered to Harry and since he isn't ransoming her, I'm under the impression that Lacuna is now a vassal of Harrys like Toot is. Harrysworn, if you will.

That's how i took it, but she's sworn directly to him, unlike Toot and the Frozen Pizza Guard who are more or less mercenaries. :)

Also -> You got Santa is Vadderung? I am/was under the impression that he was more of a brother to, and had talked to, Vadderung. That was all Vadderung could to for Harry at the time, so that is what he did. Maybe talked to the Goblin King as well.

I took it as Kringle and Odin were the same person/entity and Kringle was one of the aspects Odin took on as time advanced and Norse worship died out.

View PostSindriss, on 06 December 2012 - 08:28 AM, said:

As I see it, Kringle is a figure that Odin uses for when he doesnt wanne to all old god on you, but want to "fit in", which is a funny concept when you think about who is participating in the party. And it enables him to act more free than if he came as Odin.

In the same way, I think that is why he joined the wild hunt as kringle, because it would not be a possibility to join as a powerful old god (i dont doubt that the goblin king knows it is him, but appereances matter). And as Kringle, he can lose to harry without losing respect/face - nobody would buy that if he was odin.

Agreed.

View Postacesn8s, on 06 December 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

Halloween is a time for putting on and taking off masks (which Mantles were implied to part of). I would guess that At the end of Halloween, Kringle puts on the Santa Mantle?

I don't think Odin does the sled/presents thing every year at Christmas, but i think he does draw power from the 'worship'. Considering the power he displayed to Harry back in CHANGES was pretty major, it's unlikely that came from modern-day worship of the 'Norse God Odin' concept.

#17 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:27 AM

Considering the power he displayed to Harry back in CHANGES was pretty major, it's unlikely that came from modern-day worship of the 'Norse God Odin' concept.

While a good point and it makes sense, we do not know much about the relationship between amount of "worshippers/how known you are" and corresponding strenght of the entity.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users