Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wut?

#1 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

I'm halfway through the book and so far i'm quite enjoying it... some plots are really interesting and i love the insights on previously underdeveloped parts of the lore.
But really... what's with all those errors?
I'm not referring to the typos (though also present in astonishing number), but to all the inconsistencies such as:

-Moranth munitions said to be non-flammable?
-Barathol is Kalam's brother?
-K'rul is/manifests as a she?

and potentially many others.
Some are so evident one must wonder if they are intended... i mean anyone who's read SE's book once could easily spot them all at first glance.

Someone here in the forum pointed out the different "feel" of some characters in ICE's novels but i must say that doesn't bother me much, i think it's ok for different authors to show different perspectives.... but this obvious-errors thing is is freakin me out.

This post has been edited by Tehol the Only: 16 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

We are the Vord. Prepare to be assimilated. Furycrafting is futile.

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

Actually the three 'errors' aren't errors at all but you may be taking them at face value....

Moranth munitions 'shells' are made of clay. They don't just burst into flame. Some of them. Most times they're thrown or otherwise physically broken. The heat thing came up once in reference to otataral in HoC.

The recall about Barathol and Kalam was a character remembering a relationship but not the specifics... i think it actually read like 'his brother or something'....

And EGs are known to be shapeshifters, so there's no particular reason why Krul shouldn't be female.

...keep in mind that what you're reading is often a subjective narrative from one character and isn't necessarily accurate.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Uhm fair enough..
But in Y'gathan (or however is it written) the BHs had to dump the munitions because of the heat (with truth suicide-bombing iirc), so i guess it's the guy in OST who's misinformed (and lucky him there were no munitions in the flaming barracks).
Also i'm quite sure Barathol confirmed the degree of kinship both in OST (Topper asks him if he's Kal's brother) and in BH (can't find the reference atm)... so if you're right he must be lying for some reason.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

View PostTehol the Only, on 16 November 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

Uhm fair enough..
But in Y'gathan (or however is it written) the BHs had to dump the munitions because of the heat (with truth suicide-bombing iirc), so i guess it's the guy in OST who's misinformed (and lucky him there were no munitions in the flaming barracks).

I'm blanking on the details and you've readit more recently than me... wasn't the conversation about what caused the fire, ie: not munitions, it was set by someone?

Also i'm quite sure Barathol confirmed the degree of kinship both in OST (Topper asks him if he's Kal's brother) and in BH (can't find the reference atm)... so if you're right he must be lying for some reason.

I really don't remember that line now, but if that's what he says than either he's lying or ICE got it wrong. I'd go with lying to mess with Topper tho', or just didn't care enough to correct him, OR figured think he was Kalam's bro might cause Topper more concern.

#5 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

View PostAbyss, on 16 November 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

I'm blanking on the details and you've readit more recently than me... wasn't the conversation about what caused the fire, ie: not munitions, it was set by someone?

They flinched at another thundering reverberation accmpanied by curtains of sparks from the collpasing barracks. Did we have any Moranth munitions stored there? Well, i understand they aren't flammable anyway.

I really don't remember that line now, but if that's what he says than either he's lying or ICE got it wrong. I'd go with lying to mess with Topper tho', or just didn't care enough to correct him, OR figured think he was Kalam's bro might cause Topper more concern.

OR he lied about being his cousin (Topper having wrong intelligence would sound strange to me)... mhm i should go and search for some reference...too bad i'm so lazy.

Edit: just came to my mind that Blend is present when Barathol admits being kal's brother and she doesn't even flinch.... so it looks like she already knew or something... now i'm even more puzzled

This post has been edited by Tehol the Only: 16 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

View PostTehol the Only, on 16 November 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

They flinched at another thundering reverberation accmpanied by curtains of sparks from the collpasing barracks. Did we have any Moranth munitions stored there? Well, i understand they aren't flammable anyway.

That goes to my point about it being subjective... and actually pretty funny if read in that context.

OR he lied about being his cousin (Topper having wrong intelligence would sound strange to me)... mhm i should go and search for some reference...too bad i'm so lazy.

Edit: just came to my mind that Blend is present when Barathol admits being kal's brother and she doesn't even flinch.... so it looks like she already knew or something... now i'm even more puzzled

Huh... i think that takes us back to either error or deliberately messing with Topper. Either way it's not like Blend would contradict Bara with the Clawmaster standing right there being all Clawy.

#7 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

View PostAbyss, on 16 November 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

That goes to my point about it being subjective... and actually pretty funny if read in that context.

Indeed... Tho it would've been funnier if there WERE actual munitions

"Munitions? who cares, the stuff's not even flammable" -Fist K'ess's Epitaph (how the hell does the double apostrophe even work?)
Posted Image

Thus leaving me no choice but to found a "Barathol is Kalam's brother" party and proclaim holy war on all you pro-cousin heretics.

#8 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

View PostTehol the Only, on 16 November 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

"Munitions? who cares, the stuff's not even flammable" -Fist K'ess's Epitaph (how the hell does the double apostrophe even work?)

I think you may have missed a joke here. It's his epitaph......
meh. Link was dead :(

#9 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

is it actually barathol saying he's kalam's brother? not one of the malazans? i thought for sure one of them said it, using the 'his brother or something' line abyss mentioned.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:39 AM

He meant he's a brother from another mother.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#11 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:46 AM

View PostCocoreturns, on 16 November 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

I think you may have missed a joke here. It's his epitaph......

well i wrote that so i don't think i missed anything:)

Sinisdar: Yes, the actual dialogue is something like

Topper:"Barathol Mekhar? Kalam's brother?"
Barathol:"Yes"

#12 User is offline   Tattooed Hand 

• High Fist

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

No there is another part, later on, where the narrator says that Bara was even stronger than his younger brother Kalam. And I distinctly remember from the Erikson books that Bara was more than once declared Kalam's distant cousin. Smacks of gross inconsistency to me.

But the munitions thing seems feasible. The ceramic casing has to be breached. Remember the drum? They put some sort of acid on it that would thin the casing and then when the horses rode over them, ka-boom!

#13 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

In my book Blend's name was wrong twice - one time it was Bland and another Blood. i was like.. wtf?

Seems like the Barathol as Kalam's brother was a legit screwup though.

And the thing about K'rul... when I was reading that I kind of thought ICE was intentionally giving the finger to people on this forum who complain about inconsistencies in the books B)

This post has been edited by Overactive Imagination: 19 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:11 AM

I hope so, they deserve it.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#15 User is offline   Infyra 

• Recruit

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:34 PM

Interesting, I just go to the part where Barathol supposedly said he is Kalam's Brother?

Except for me it reads:

'Barathol' Said the one named Topper. 'Mekhar? Kalam's relation?
'Yes'

I have the Bentam Books version, and I suppose this error was fixed in the latest prints then.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users