• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

C'mon Man! boneheaded moves

#1 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

There is a segment on ESPN regarding pro football where the hosts make fun of the dumbest action of the week.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8bcbO2e4eVc

So I am reading FoD and started to give a "C'mon Man" to the borderswords who presumably have tracking skills that dont actually track the army that destroyed their village and killed their families. But that was nothing compared with what was to come. When the leader of the hust legion dispensed alcohol provided by Hun Raal, who she knows is a total snake and a weasel. I beleive she told him as much to his face. She basically says, and I am paraphrasing here, "you are a liar, and a weasel, I dont trust you, and soon we will probably be at war, but thanks for providing me with this most likely poisened booze, let me distribute it throughout my ranks, to make your job easier."

C'MON MAN!!!!!!!!!

I almost threw the book across the room....

Any other folks want to give out a "C'mon Man"?

This post has been edited by foolio: 06 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#2 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

oh man, toras redone was one huge "C'mon, (wo)man!" the entire book. screwing with galar baras, being a sodden commander, falling for hunn raal's obvious plot. i hope she's dead and galar baras takes over the legion.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#3 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

Eh, the book isn't completely clear in my head but I think that the Borderswords were so hungry for revenge that anger clouded their better judgment.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#4 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:09 AM

This is one of those cases where, like it or not, the greek tragedy/shakespeare style plot device gets used. And although I didnt understand what specifically happened with Hunn Raal and Redone at the time, I know now that the style in which SE played this our was in the classical tradition. Think of all the greek myths we know, like how did Zeus sleep with Hercules' mom and all those other tales are kind of larger than life and quite hard to swallow. And I'm sure they were more brutal in their original tellings as well.

This is not me saying you have to accept that. By all means, rail away. But as a kid I used to eat up those old greek myths, and perhaps because of that, it doesn't bother me.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#5 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:09 AM

@sindosar
isn't the hust legion basically dead?

but i know what you mean, there were a few oh c'mon man moments. Bt they can be viewed from other angles.

the legion pruposely left a trail back to drac's hold afaik (thin I know, but their blood was up)
the poisoned booze, imo she viewed it at him trying to buy the hust's affection vua the trid and tested method of partying. The fact that she ensured that the posted men and women took not a drop shows she didn't trust him, but more of a theyre drunk lets sneak in kind of way. I'm guessing poison was too horrific an option for her t consider.

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

One important point to keep in mind re both the Borderswords and the Hust Legion... when we come into the story, the Tiste have been through a war with the Forkurulan, and another war with the Jheleckan, but they have not actually had any serious internal strife for a very very long time. That there ever was any is only hinted at, because with a long lived, low fertility people there really wouldn't be too much to fight about.

Point being that the Borderswords and the Hust Legion were operating on a 'what you see is what you get' level, and not really thinking in terms of intrigue or deception. It's a relative level of naivete, but as a civilisation they are not that old that certain things are commonplace.

Consider how completely Drac's heavy cavalry annihilated the B'swords... because they had never faced anything like that ever before. It's a more concrete example, but what it comes down to is some Tiste utterly underestimating what the 'Light' forces were capable of or willing to do.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

Indeed. Why would Abel have expected Cain to go that far?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:05 AM

View PostMacros, on 06 November 2012 - 09:09 AM, said:

@sindosar
isn't the hust legion basically dead?

all outward appearances point to it, which is why i don't believe it for a second.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#9 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:02 AM

Misdirection aside, i think the majourity was onsite for the poisoning. As an effective field unit theyre done.

#10 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

Beyond all that, I'm pretty sure that the Borderswords DID attempt to track the army that massacred their home... That was the whole point of the commander having them station their legion right outside Fortress Dracons. The misdirection that would lead the Borderswords to attack the wrong army and thus weaken two enemies at once.

#11 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostThe Incredible Kitsu, on 07 November 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

Beyond all that, I'm pretty sure that the Borderswords DID attempt to track the army that massacred their home... That was the whole point of the commander having them station their legion right outside Fortress Dracons. The misdirection that would lead the Borderswords to attack the wrong army and thus weaken two enemies at once.

Well i think thats where the legion came from , on house dracons border, but they left the destroyed village in the opposite direction headed towards the army encampment around vatha urasanders home village.
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users