• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#2121 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:05 PM

I've watched this today - Cinema Wins is almost universally positive, as the name would suggest, but I like his take on The Last Jedi. I watched TLJ again recently (didn't realise my dad hadn't seen it so we stuck my DVD on) and as much as I still prefer TFA and hold to the belief that Rogue One knocks both out of the water..... it's not as heinous as I seem to remember feeling it was either. Maybe I've just mellowed.

Anyway, interesting viewpoint and leads into the thought for the next film too :)

Cinema Wins: Everything Great About The Last Jedi
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#2122 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:31 PM

So it's definitely the Tantive IV from ANH and not Tantive III from ROTS that is in THE RISE OF SKYWALKER. And not just the red stripping (III had blue striping), but the rest of the ship is identical to the CR90 from ANH.

Which could still fit in with my theory that something in Threepio's memory banks is being sought, as we only know that Bail Organa told Raymus Antilles to wipe Threepio's memory while they were aboard the Tantive III, but perhaps the action occurred on the Tantive IV once he took over captaincy of that ship right after that scene.

At any rate, its the ANH House Organa blockade runner in IX and not the one from ROTS. Essentially Leia's ship...which makes sense to use as a callback.

Attached File  TantiveIV.jpg (62.67K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 17 April 2019 - 01:34 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2123 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

Also, can we talk about how this shot...is LITERALLY Rey WALKING in the SKY?

Deliberate hint symbolism, or just a cool shot?

Attached File  ReySky.jpg (30.37K)
Number of downloads: 1
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2124 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:20 PM

Well she is flying about in it in Resistance, so it's not a huge surprise.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2125 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:42 PM

Traveller, on 17 April 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

Well she is flying about in it in Resistance, so it's not a huge surprise.

Oh I just mean tying it into a Threepio thing...which requires a little fancy footwork to make work when the command to wipe his memory happened on the III not the IV is all.

#2126 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:06 PM

I'm not really sure where the idea that the Jedi suppress their emotions comes from. They're all about their feelings 'Trust your feelings' 'Be mindful of your feelings' and the like. No one ever preaches 'don't have emotions, they teach control. Anakin's problem is that he can't control himself, his emotions push him into doing things like massacring the Tuskens.

#2127 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:46 PM

They are not allowed to marry. Anakin and Padme don't marry in secret and then hide it from everyone for no reason - the Jedi are told not to get attached to anyone. (Although it's more weird that she puts him off because she's a 'senator' as surely they're allowed to do what they like?) They may not implicitly preach suppression, but that's what the result is. Because 'the fear of loss is the path to the dark side.'

Yoda quite literally tells Anakin that he has to learn to lose what he loves.

'Attachment leads to jealousy, the shadow of greed, that is."

Anakin: "What must I do, Master Yoda?"

Yoda: "Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose."

Obi-Wan is also put in major conflict when he falls in love with Satine. And as a Jedi, he can't act on it, but this really isn't good or right and yet it's one of main Jedi rules, and there is no one.more committed to the jedi than Obi wan. But should he have been denied a life?

They are allowed to love, but marriage is seen as a sort of possession where jealousy, greed and a while host of problems can arise, like putting that person's safety before their Jedi duty.

So while suppression of emotions isn't actually what is taught, being told they can't have a meaningful relationship with someone they love results in emotional suppression imo.

It probably also helped turn Anakin in the end, because the Sith embrace all feelings without restriction; all the emotions the Jedi are trained to deaden themselves to are embraced and used, and Palpatine told Anakin that as a Sith he would be allowed to feel and use his strong emotions instead of deny them.

'I know you burn for greater power than any Jedi can wield; give yourself permission to gain that power, and allow yourself license to use it. You have dreamed of leaving the Jedi Order, having a family of your own—one that is based on love, not on enforced rules of self-denial.”

This post has been edited by Traveller: 17 April 2019 - 09:10 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#2128 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:47 PM

Attachments is still different from emotions, though. Obi Wan can have feelings for Satine all he likes, he doesn't hide or fail to acknowledge them, but he's able to control himself when it counts. Anakin suppresses his, but that's him failing to follow the teachings, not the teachings themselves.

I'm not sure it would have made a difference to Anakin's fall, whether you're allowed to have attachments or not, a risk to your wife's life is still an effective threat. He still would have wanted to save Padme, Sidious would still have been able to dangle that in front of him, while Yoda would not.

#2129 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:05 PM

Peter Mayhew has died.
https://io9.gizmodo....e-74-1834489065
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#2130 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 May 2019 - 11:12 PM

Fuck.

#2131 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 09 May 2019 - 09:41 AM

Remade scene 38 from aNH. I... don't know how to feel about this! I think a duel like the one with Maul would have been more likely, and I still prefer the original with its subtlety - but I do like this take with a more Rebels/Rogue One Vader... and the RotS music from Anakins betrayal.

https://youtu.be/to2SMng4u1k

This post has been edited by Traveller: 09 May 2019 - 09:54 AM

#2132 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:34 PM

Traveller, on 09 May 2019 - 09:41 AM, said:

Remade scene 38 from aNH. I... don't know how to feel about this! I think a duel like the one with Maul would have been more likely, and I still prefer the original with its subtlety - but I do like this take with a more Rebels/Rogue One Vader... and the RotS music from Anakins betrayal.

https://youtu.be/to2SMng4u1k

I agree. While I absolutely ADORE the Maul VS Obi-Wan scene from REBELS which showed that Obi-Wan had moved beyond such fighting (at least with regards to Maul's extra flashy jumps and such)...this is the true continuation/answer to the fight they had on Mustafar all those years ago.

It's also pertinent to note that IF Lucas COULD have had the lightsaber choreography he had in the prequels IN the OT, he would have (the technology was not there yet)...so given the chance, he absolutely would have made the scene look like this.

#2133 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 09 May 2019 - 12:43 PM

It's pretty well done, too. Obi wan is defensive, Vader is really going for it, and Obi wan still gets his knowing look at Luke at the end. He even goes down to a strike in the same way as the book, although that had a slightly more vertical slash that cuts him top to bottom just before he disappears, which always seemed pretty brutal.

#2134 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:49 AM

More news that Disney is working on a Star Wars movie based on Knights of the Old Republic reportedly in the works.

https://www.ign.com/...kVW8JyLE86WAMHM

A couple years ago i would have been having extreme nerdgasms at the prospect of this. But after TLJ and Solo i'm pretty numb to the idea of more Star Wars. Maybe we'll get lucky.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 24 May 2019 - 02:50 AM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#2135 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:24 AM

I really want more Solo.

#2136 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:41 PM

Slow Ben, on 24 May 2019 - 02:49 AM, said:

More news that Disney is working on a Star Wars movie based on Knights of the Old Republic reportedly in the works.

A couple years ago i would have been having extreme nerdgasms at the prospect of this. But after TLJ and Solo i'm pretty numb to the idea of more Star Wars. Maybe we'll get lucky.

FTA:

Kennedy previously relayed that Benioff, Weiss and The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson have been planning out the future of the Star Wars franchise for over "the next ten years or more."

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 24 May 2019 - 12:41 PM

#2137 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:53 PM

Slow Ben, on 24 May 2019 - 02:49 AM, said:

This is me as well. And considering that Benioff and Weiss are 100% making the next movies, this is obviously tied to them. The good news would be that it's not being WRITTEN by them, so that's good....but yeah, even the prospect of KOTOR movies doesn't excite me like it used to...AND it would have to be better or at least close to these brilliant scenes (and I don't know if Disney-LFL has it in them):

Traveller, on 24 May 2019 - 05:24 AM, said:

I really want more Solo.

I do as well. I'm curious where that all would have gone!

#2138 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 July 2019 - 02:54 PM

Real Stuntmen talking about the Throne room fight in TLJ...and yeah, as one of the only scenes in the movie I decently liked...this points out all the bad about it from a choreography/fight standing. Go t the 4:13 mark to see this portion that applies

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 July 2019 - 02:55 PM

#2139 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:02 PM

Being fair, it's very difficult to look good when you're being compared to Buster Keaton, Tom Cruise, and Tony Jaa.

#2140 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 July 2019 - 05:19 PM

the broken, on 09 July 2019 - 05:02 PM, said:

Being fair, it's very difficult to look good when you're being compared to Buster Keaton, Tom Cruise, and Tony Jaa.

Accurate!

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users