• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#561 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:44 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 23 December 2014 - 12:11 AM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 December 2014 - 07:25 PM, said:

and the little ball droid that I love is called BB-8.

The best thing about that little droid is that apparently they built an actual working prop. So :) to all the people who complained about it being a silly use of CGI.

Indeed. I heard that Mark Hamill's favourite thing to do was to play with the BB-8 prop on set. Which made me smile.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 23 December 2014 - 11:45 AM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#562 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 December 2014 - 12:08 AM

None of you will thank me for this, but...
https://digital.dark...ell-megabundle/
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#563 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 28 December 2014 - 09:34 AM

Is this all the stuff that never happpened?

*waits quietly for BK..*
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#564 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 December 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostAbyss, on 28 December 2014 - 12:08 AM, said:

None of you will thank me for this, but...
https://digital.dark...ell-megabundle/

So ... tempted ... but $US300? It's bloody good value, but it's just a LOT of value at once. And for electronic files?

The Luddite in me is still wary of handing over my hard-earned for something ephemeral.

I guess it's kind of like televangelists, except there's probably less sex and corruption in the comics.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 28 December 2014 - 10:44 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#565 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:22 PM

That is really tempting. Dark Horse did such a great job with SW, sad to see that partnership dissolve.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#566 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:58 PM

There is some good Star Wars Legends (old EU) material, but not much of it was in the comics for me.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#567 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 December 2014 - 08:54 PM

I'm conflicted ... They have the A LONG TIME AGO omnibuses... Omnibusii... Omnibu... Those big collections of the entire original Marvel run from the 70s in there, plus Stackpole's XWING series, plus DARK EMPIRE and CRIMSON EMPIRE which had great art even if the story was uneven. LEGACY, KOTOR, the recent VADER series...
That's almost 200 issues right there that are easily worth the price even for ebooks. ... It's a lot of cash in one go but it's pretty tempting... Frankly the ebook format is more tempting... Doesn't occupy shelf space... Fuck. Star Fuck.

#568 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:04 PM

View PostBriar King, on 28 December 2014 - 08:21 PM, said:

I only even bothered with the Knight Errant and Legacy arcs.

LEGACY was the best IMO. Everyone should read that arc.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#569 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostAbyss, on 28 December 2014 - 08:54 PM, said:

I'm conflicted ... They have the A LONG TIME AGO omnibuses... Omnibusii... Omnibu... Those big collections of the entire original Marvel run from the 70s in there, plus Stackpole's XWING series, plus DARK EMPIRE and CRIMSON EMPIRE which had great art even if the story was uneven. LEGACY, KOTOR, the recent VADER series...
That's almost 200 issues right there that are easily worth the price even for ebooks. ... It's a lot of cash in one go but it's pretty tempting... Frankly the ebook format is more tempting... Doesn't occupy shelf space... Fuck. Star Fuck.

Don't make this any harder more difficult, dammit! :)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#570 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:20 AM

View PostSombra, on 29 December 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 28 December 2014 - 08:54 PM, said:

Don't make this any harder more difficult, dammit! :)

I KNOW GODAMMIT I KNOW!!!

#571 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

View PostSilencer, on 07 December 2014 - 06:43 AM, said:

Incidentally, a friend and I were messing around with his greatsword today, and based on the length of those emitters...I hope he turns them on and off a lot and really fast because...yep...your movement set is unbelievably limited with the length seen in that video. Like, 90% of the movements you normally see in saber fights are ruled out because otherwise you're crossing your own body. XD (And yes, I'm aware most sabers have the ability to length adjust their blades to some degree...)

(Either that, or the Sith in question is of a hyper-flexible race of beings similar to the Forkrul Assail...now THAT would be badass...hard to film though)

I ran across this article about the new light-sabre. It's not just us that went into Nerdvana over discussing the new weapon down to its mechanics, and this guy brings up a couple new, interesting points. However, I'm not sure I'm quite on board with his theory about the way he explains how the wielder of this new sabre is bringing the Sith back , yet he's untrained.

Short article about the New Light-Sabre in SW:7

A quote from said article:

" I think we can all agree that there's definitely a need for some kind of wrist protection for lightsabers. Hands get chopped off in the Star Wars universe so often, uber-fans have made up a whole imaginary school of lightsaber combat to try to make sense of it. Not only did Luke Skywalker get his hand cut off by a lightsaber, his dad's hand was lopped off by a laser blade twice. And heck, check out this clip:"

" Look at how easily Anakin Skywalker severed both of Count Dooku's hands in Revenge of the Sith just by running his blade up the shaft. If Dooku had a crossguard on his lightsaber, this never would've happened!

So yes, the Star Wars universe needs crossguards. But J.J. Abrams's particular solution to the problem is making the Internet laugh. Critics say the lightsaber crossguard is more likely to make Driver (or whoever that is) sever his own hand than actually protect him from someone else's blade. Even if the crossguard did work as intended, it looks silly, these critics argue.

I couldn't disagree more. I'm excited by what this new lightsaber says about J.J. Abrams's story-driven approach to the Star Wars universe. In fact, if you think it looks silly, I'd argue you're not looking at it in the right way. This is great design, through and through. Here's why."
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#572 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

Counterpoint: designs can get a point across and also not be really dumb, unlike this sword.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#573 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:11 PM

Ya know, if the crossguards didn't require separate emitters (perhaps with crystals that were cut to include an ability to focus minor beams at 90 degrees), or the emitters were set at 90 degrees inside the hilt, then it wouldn't be so shit because there wouldn't be a weak spot.

... and in further news, I can't believe I contributed to this discussion ... :)

@Abyss
It's a good thing that bundle ran out of time, because I was weakening.

While I'm Starwars-ing, I always thought midichlorians were an indicator of Force potential, not the creators of Force potential. Kind of like how certain blood tests can indicate cancer etc.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 04 January 2015 - 02:18 PM

#574 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:37 PM

View PostSombra, on 04 January 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

While I'm Starwars-ing, I always thought midichlorians were an indicator of Force potential, not the creators of Force potential. Kind of like how certain blood tests can indicate cancer etc.

I try to believe this to, but Lucas was pretty clear. The force is a bacterial infection.
Error: Signature not valid

#575 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:04 AM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 08 January 2015 - 11:37 PM, said:

I try to believe this to, but Lucas was pretty clear. The force is a bacterial infection.

Really? When did he say that? :)

(At least it's better than a yeast infection.)

This post has been edited by Sombra: 09 January 2015 - 03:06 AM

#576 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:21 AM

This explains a lot, actually...

#577 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

Oh, the burning and itching.

#578 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:51 PM

No, I think Sombra is mostly correct. If we take into account the Clone Wars eps from S6 (canon) where Yoda learns how to live on past death and project a force ghost, midichlorians are a symbiotic organism that ALLOWS one to sense the Force at greater and greater levels. The Force is still The Force, midichlorians are just a means to an end to sense it, grab it, and use it. Like a lightsaber hilt is the vehicle with which you can USE a Crystal to make the blade. The planet that Yoda visits with the Force Priestesses is one where the living force (midichlorians) are manifest/created and in that place they connect most strongly with the Unifying Force (the "it surrounds us and binds us together" Force)...so the bio/life side (midichlorians) and the spiritual galactic side (Unifying) work together to give a Jedi their power. It actually feels like an offshoot of the point that humans are made up of the same building blocks as stars...at some level could those two not connect in an atomic way?

Heady philosophical stuff, but I never minded Midichlorians, especially AFTER they were more properly explained in the Clone Wars.

Attached File  nerd.gif (15.45K)
Number of downloads: 0

#579 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

I looked at Wookieepedia and it said the Force was metaphysical and midi-chlorians are receptors/conductors rather than sources of the Force. My personal opinion is that midi-chlorians are the reincarnated souls of dead Mormons and Scientologists.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#580 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:32 PM

View Postworry, on 09 January 2015 - 08:48 PM, said:

I looked at Wookieepedia and it said the Force was metaphysical and midi-chlorians are receptors/conductors rather than sources of the Force. My personal opinion is that midi-chlorians are the reincarnated souls of dead Mormons and Scientologists.

Makes sense!! Explain this theory from your point of view?

I could see this..especially based off modern Doctrine of these religions. For Mormons maybe their heaven/ lesser heaven/hell they create exists inside the person they inhabit. Hmm.

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 09 January 2015 - 09:33 PM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

25 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users