• You cannot reply to this topic

The Star Wars MegaThread Movie discussions, announcements, etc

#1261 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:14 AM

Ep 8 news:
Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1262 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:52 AM

Uh but she literally just said it on the SAG Awards red carpet this Saturday, so barring a time warp that cannot be true.

#1263 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:18 AM

Saw it again, this time in IMAX 3D with my wife last weekend. It was amazing; my first IMAX experience. It was like just sitting down a couple feet from your own TV and having the movie all to yourself. (Which it kinda was, as there were only 6 of us in the theater. But still.)

View PostQuickTidal, on 23 January 2016 - 01:22 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 23 January 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

We'll see if you still feel that way when the BB8 spaghettios are for dinner.

I would eat the shit outta those things.

I would take the shit out, set it aside, and then eat the rest.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#1264 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:10 AM

Going back to the theories/speculation about Palpatine draining Padmes life force to turn Anakin into Vader...

I read some more on this last night. Another, extended version of this theory goes on to claim that this is the reason Vader dies after killing the Emperor. Not because of the force lightning, which shouldn't have killed him; but because his life force was linked to Palps, to the extent that it was keeping him alive. Vader knew this when he was deciding who to save - he knew he was sacrificing himself to save Luke, hence the line about 'nothing can stop that now' when Luke says he'll die if he takes off his helmet. He knows he's dying now that Palps is gone.

There does seem to be a massive amount of evidence to support the Padme death theory; I just can't bring myself to believe that this has anything to do with Lucas' intention as it seems way too subtle compared to the badly scripted mess that has preceded this moment.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1265 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:08 AM

Yeah, I think it's more a case of people stringing together some coincidences to desperately get something seemingly coherent from that mess.

"I have the high ground!" Ugh. :p
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1266 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 06 February 2016 - 07:08 AM, said:

Yeah, I think it's more a case of people stringing together some coincidences to desperately get something seemingly coherent from that mess.

"I have the high ground!" Ugh. :p

He DID havcve the high ground tho. He's a Jedi. Everywhere in jump-range was the high ground.

Anyways, yeah I don't know that GL planned the whole Emperor steals Padme's life force thing...but it works and is pretty unassailable when you view it that way.

He certainly didn't have her die of a broken heart like everyone incorrectly assumes.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1267 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:19 PM

The high ground didn't bother Obi Wan much when he was dangling at Darth Mauls feet.. there are so many inconsistencies like that throughout though!

I like the padme death theory. Palpatine just shows too much knowledge about Anakins dreams, and the fact and timing of Padmes death - he's not even there. And the two heartbeats that can be heard in that end scene both stop at the same time.. while one then continues as Vader takes a breath.

(It's even possible to see it as Anakin drawing away her life, unintentionally, but as a result of Palpatines planning and interference... so when Vader asks about her, he replies truthfully - 'She's dead. It appears that you killed her.' )

This post has been edited by Traveller: 06 February 2016 - 02:26 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1268 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:05 PM

On the one hand, that is a tempting theory that does fit what facts we dragged from the morass of the prequel trilogy. On the other, George Lucas.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#1269 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:17 PM

Solo Family Portrait
Spoiler

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#1270 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:00 AM

View PostDumbledude, on 17 January 2016 - 12:15 AM, said:

Well it's two layers. I already don't want her to be a Skywalker as the whole "I am your father" parallel is about a hundred bridges too far.

But as Sil has mentioned, it's also the device of making her origin/place in the galaxy a mystery and then resolving it in the most mundane, predictable way. That's a real gag-me-with-a-spoon culmination (not even a 'turn') of events. A whole host of stupid story elements would have to be shoved in to explain the fact that nobody recognizes her.

I could be misinterpreting (and really need to watch it again, only done so once before Christmas) but I rather got the impression Leia at least was aware of who Rey was, despite the fact she doesn't elaborate to the audience. From memory, she didn't seem the least bit surprised to see Rey at all.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 09 February 2016 - 07:00 AM

- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#1271 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:18 AM

Spoiler

#1272 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:49 PM

View PostDumbledude, on 09 February 2016 - 07:18 AM, said:

Spoiler

Haha, sorry, I'll get back in my box!
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#1273 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:53 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 09 February 2016 - 07:00 AM, said:

View PostDumbledude, on 17 January 2016 - 12:15 AM, said:

Well it's two layers. I already don't want her to be a Skywalker as the whole "I am your father" parallel is about a hundred bridges too far.

But as Sil has mentioned, it's also the device of making her origin/place in the galaxy a mystery and then resolving it in the most mundane, predictable way. That's a real gag-me-with-a-spoon culmination (not even a 'turn') of events. A whole host of stupid story elements would have to be shoved in to explain the fact that nobody recognizes her.

I could be misinterpreting (and really need to watch it again, only done so once before Christmas) but I rather got the impression Leia at least was aware of who Rey was, despite the fact she doesn't elaborate to the audience. From memory, she didn't seem the least bit surprised to see Rey at all.

Oh yeah, she totally knows her. Whether through relation (if she's Luke's, and therefore her niece) or someone else from Luke's Academy...Leia fully knows who she is.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#1274 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:50 PM

Hey I might be wrong. There's a first time for everything!

#1275 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:23 AM

View PostBriar King, on 25 February 2016 - 03:26 AM, said:

Change title to (Ep VIII or Saga films)

So as I was thinking it would Ep 8 will be doing a 1st. It will
Spoiler

I can't see them revealing that info anytime before release date.

Why? VII+ seems accurate to me...

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1276 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

How about Star Wars: the Demands of BK
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#1277 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:04 PM

Pre-production art from TFA has come out, and here is their original concept for Luke...

Which I gotta say is badass. Luke Skywalker Meets Toshiro Mifune by way of Kurosawa is EXACTLY how an aging Jedi Master ought to look. I'd love if his hair stays long that they adopt this type of samurai bun for him to have.

Attached File  artdept-vd-tfa-003-173939.jpg (131.75K)
Number of downloads: 1

#1278 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:26 AM

Unlike many people, I don't have a totally negative opinion about the prequels.

I liked Episode 1, thought Qui Gon and Darth Maul were very cool. I got bored by Episode 2, with Anakin's YA love story and the rather unconvincing droid army. I loved Episode 3. I thought long haired Anakin was cool, the sabre battles - Anakin-Dooku, Anakiin-Obi Wan, Yoda-Sidious were awesome, I thought dark Anakin was scary, I thought the love story had a lot more substance etc etc

So recently I was just cruising through Episode 3, and..... it had all changed. Anakin was.... a bit silly. Their love story and Jedi attitudes in general was not very compelling. Dark Anakin wit the hair over the eyes was stupid.

But, the worst happened when the Jedi came to arrest Sidious. This old man, suddnely clenches his face, jumps very slowly and very awkwardly, and stabs three Jedi with a lightsabre. No cool technique, no good moved, just some slow spinning, and awkward flailing. The acting was so ... plastic. The production and presentation was awful. Truly awful. I hated that scene so much, I just closed it and stopped.

The main lesson I learnt was not to trust the memories and impressions of your 16 year old self.

#1279 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:48 AM

Also the Yoda-Sidious fight looks like an early demo from a last-gen Super Smash Bros game. Like even the goal is to knock the other guy off a platform.

#1280 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:51 AM

View PostOponn Relationship, on 05 April 2016 - 03:48 AM, said:

Also the Yoda-Sidious fight looks like an early demo from a last-gen Super Smash Bros game. Like even the goal is to knock the other guy off a platform.

I got so irritated I did not even get to that one. Did the Anakin Obi wan fight hold up?

Share this topic:

• 143 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

53 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 53 guests, 0 anonymous users