• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Doors of Stone Theories, SPOILERS

#1 User is offline   Bantato 

• A Fly on the Wall
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:27 AM

For all you Rothfuss fans out there, here's a discussion thread about his book to be, The Doors of Stone. Beware, all those who haven't read his previous novels, there are spoilersPosted Image
Here are my theories.

Spoiler

Those are just a few. What others have you people got?
Posted Image
EDIT: I have a question concerning naming, let's say someone found the name of water. Would they also have to know the name of hydrogen and oxygen too? It doesn't make sense how people know the names of things without knowing the names of the components that make the thing
EDIT2: Aaaaaaaww.. this thread's dead now!

This post has been edited by Bantato: 10 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Banana + Potato = Bantato

#2 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:45 AM

Check out all the theories at a forum of Ice and Fire here http://asoiaf.wester...rs-speculation/ if you want a complete and badass rundown of theories and wild speculation. Don't care much for the forum overall but their Rothfuss threads are really good.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#3 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

You neg. rep'd me for being helpful? I wasn't being an asshole, I was just saying here's pages and pages of theories and speculation that I thought were really interesting. That you took that as an insult is interesting.....weird, but interesting.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

I say we kill him.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

worrywort, on 27 October 2012 - 11:17 PM, said:

I say we kill him.

That may be a little heavy handed but I like your style.

#6 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:44 AM

When's the release date?

EDIT: Also, Bantato, the people on this forum are all a little crazy, so don't take anything they say too seriously :cry:

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 28 October 2012 - 02:45 AM

#7 User is offline   Bantato 

• A Fly on the Wall

Posted 28 October 2012 - 03:10 AM

The release date isn't confirmed, but expect it to come out in 2013.

This post has been edited by Bantato: 29 October 2012 - 07:43 PM

#8 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

Bantato, on 28 October 2012 - 03:10 AM, said:

The release date isn't confirmed, but expect it to come out in 2013.

You got that from a Deck of Dragons reading? Crown must have been the centre card!

As long as Rothfuss doesn't pull a GRRM on us, I'm fine Posted Image
Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#9 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

The Doors of Stone?

Is that a book based on the movie The Doors by Oliver Stone?

I keed, I keed.

I've only read The Name of the Wind, but I'm not sure it ill read the rest. I heard so much about how good this series was, but I was fairly disappointed with the first book. It has great potential, but It's just really boring, imo. There's not nearly enough action, although as a drama book, it would he decent, but I read fantasy novels for action. Kvothe's story about growing up is really good, ill give it that. It's heart-wrenching and sad, yet uplifting at times, but it just stagnates for me, especially towards the end with the entire scenes devoted to walking around in the woods playing with the dracconus. I mean come on. I was bored out of my mind. And the beginning when he's fighting the spiders. Spiders? Stone-like spiders with razor legs. Horrible.

Anyway, if you read my posts, I've yet to dislike any of the discussed books that I've read, and I apologize if I'm coming off wrong, but I just really couldn't get into this book. The next one has to be much improved if i am to finish the series.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#10 User is offline   Bantato 

• A Fly on the Wall

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

Brujah, on 28 October 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

The Doors of Stone?

Is that a book based on the movie The Doors by Oliver Stone?

I keed, I keed.

I've only read The Name of the Wind, but I'm not sure it ill read the rest. I heard so much about how good this series was, but I was fairly disappointed with the first book. It has great potential, but It's just really boring, imo. There's not nearly enough action, although as a drama book, it would he decent, but I read fantasy novels for action. Kvothe's story about growing up is really good, ill give it that. It's heart-wrenching and sad, yet uplifting at times, but it just stagnates for me, especially towards the end with the entire scenes devoted to walking around in the woods playing with the dracconus. I mean come on. I was bored out of my mind. And the beginning when he's fighting the spiders. Spiders? Stone-like spiders with razor legs. Horrible.

Anyway, if you read my posts, I've yet to dislike any of the discussed books that I've read, and I apologize if I'm coming off wrong, but I just really couldn't get into this book. The next one has to be much improved if i am to finish the series.

Read the second book, sure, most of it is time at the University, but when he goes on a "vacation" things really pick up, like when he learns how to fight from the Adem. I'm also pretty sure he'll get expelled right at the start of the 3rd book, so that leaves us with more Kvothe time. More NAMER and FIGHTER Kvothe time.

#11 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

I enjoyed the University stuff. I even like the musical stuff. And although I know the Chandrian seem badass, the rest of the antagonists are boring. So yeah, once we see some powerful Kvothe vs HUMAN BADASSES, not spiders, draconnus, or ANY BEAST, then I'd be happier. Like I said, the potential for an amazing story is there, but it seems wasted on paltry stuff in the first book. I know a hero has to grow, but the pace is too slow so far.

I grabbed book 1, along with book 1 of black company, and first Dresden files book all at same time. The black company book was freaking awesome, and its like 30+ years old. Dresden Files are amazing, as I'm now on book 5, so yeah, I was disappointed in Rothfuss so far, but ill give the second book a chance if its 'waking up.'
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#12 User is offline   James Hutton 

• High Scholar of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

Brujah, on 28 October 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

I grabbed book 1, along with book 1 of black company, and first Dresden files book all at same time. The black company book was freaking awesome, and its like 30+ years old. Dresden Files are amazing, as I'm now on book 5, so yeah, I was disappointed in Rothfuss so far, but ill give the second book a chance if its 'waking up.'

I did the same! During my holiday I read the Books of the North by Cook, Name of the Wind by Rothfuss and Storm Front by Butcher. My response was that I immediately ordered the second Cook series (Books of the South) and Rothfuss' second book, and re-read NotW. I never touched Storm Front again, nor ordered more Butcher books....

I might get shot for this.

Don't tell Abyss.

This post has been edited by James Hutton: 28 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Secret message: "Keep up the good work, yours truly"

#13 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

I listened to the audiobooks of both so it was really tough to draw comparisons in names and spellings. But I think Rothfuss has created a wonderful model of having fans write a book for him. I mean, I've seen some really really good theories and possible stories emerge from all the speculation that people have pulled from his books. Seriously, if he didn't already know where he was going with his story, he could just read the threads I linked above and let it write itself.

That said, I think he's going to have a hell of a time completing this saga with just one more book (without it feeling completely rushed) but if it takes him another three or four, hell, I'm in.

And the narrator for both books, Nick Podehl, is possibly the best narrator I've ever listened to. I wish he'd read me to sleep every night (and I don't care how gay that sounds......it's true).

#14 User is offline   Bantato 

• A Fly on the Wall

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:39 AM

Baco Xtath, on 28 October 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

That said, I think he's going to have a hell of a time completing this saga with just one more book (without it feeling completely rushed) but if it takes him another three or four, hell, I'm in.

True, after all the foreshadowing on Kvothe's part at the Waystone, I feel even a book with such large pages and huge page count (much like the Malazan Books) could finish the story, but rumor has it that there will be an extra trilogy taking place after this one set in present day (in the book). Where Kvothe ditches his Kote status and most likely will tie up a lot of loose ends in the previous books.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Bantato: 29 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

#15 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

Spoiler

#16 User is offline   Bantato 

• A Fly on the Wall

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

Cause, on 29 October 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

Spoiler

Interesting theory; what if Master Lorren is an Amyr in hiding, that's really unlikely. Related to the Amyr closely perhaps?

This post has been edited by Bantato: 29 October 2012 - 07:42 PM

#17 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

Bantato, on 29 October 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

Cause, on 29 October 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

Spoiler

Interesting theory; what if Master Lorren is an Amyr in hiding, that's really unlikely. Related to the Amyr closely perhaps?

Could very well be a full Amyr. I doubt they go around tattooing their arms in blood anymore. Still I don't believe its possible that an library as closely guarded and as big as the Archives could have books go missing and replaced with false ones uness they are in on it. In fact the enitre problem of not knowing how to sort the books could be a purposeful tactic to keep thousand, hundreds of thousands of books essentially lost even though they are right their. Where better to hide a book than in a stack of books

#18 User is offline   Durhang 

• Lost Lurker

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

On the re-read through the series, one thing that always annoyed me was the Ademre's insistence with man mommies. But after some thought, is it possible they are just biologically unique as a people? You have Eloden's naming class citing examples of creatures with bizarre birth methods. Either the culture as a whole is terribly ignorant in that one specific regard despite a cultural enlightenment and openness on many other subjects. Alternatively the practice asexual reproduction, but then all parents would look like children. The women talk about their 'time to ripen,' and then having a child thereafter. Do they just have a more selective fertility cycle? They are ready to have a child only when they wish. It would certainly be convenient for a female dominated and travelling warrior culture.

#19 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Can't read this topic since I'm not caught up but I thought this was funny: http://www.goodreads.../show/327213074

#20 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

Durhang, on 07 November 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

On the re-read through the series, one thing that always annoyed me was the Ademre's insistence with man mommies. But after some thought, is it possible they are just biologically unique as a people? You have Eloden's naming class citing examples of creatures with bizarre birth methods. Either the culture as a whole is terribly ignorant in that one specific regard despite a cultural enlightenment and openness on many other subjects. Alternatively the practice asexual reproduction, but then all parents would look like children. The women talk about their 'time to ripen,' and then having a child thereafter. Do they just have a more selective fertility cycle? They are ready to have a child only when they wish. It would certainly be convenient for a female dominated and traveling warrior culture.

I think its just a case of Rothfuss trying to create a unique culture and getting carried away. I think he also uses it to poke fun at pure logic. Which while not exactly a theme of his writing is something he does often. Qvothe tells the adem to look how other mammals mate and draw the obvious conclusion. The girl Adem tells him that's faulty logic and he agrees that's its a false analogy. Qvothe's world does not understand evolution so I guess its strictly true that the analogy cant be accepted but nonetheless we must marvel at an entire peoples stupidity.

Also Remember Qvothe knows magic, knows the Chandrian are real, had sex with a fairy but mocks Vintish superstition about shamble men.

There is also a ridiculous conversation in the book during one of elodins classes where one of the students descries how all finite things are finite.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users