• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Eclipse A New Dawn

#41 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:53 AM

Since IH's result and Ment's next action will not have any impact on me -> for second action, I will explore 2H. Prefer wormholes pointing towards 3L and away from 2G and 3K.

Population Tracks (before placing hex from explore):
$$$: 3
Sci: 4
Mat: 3

Upkeep: -1

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#42 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:40 AM

The Vanquisher of Lawns chose Explore as well.

E - 4
S - 4
P - 4

Spoiler

IH, you must chose which cube to place on the white if you decide to keep the system.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#43 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

Alas, our spore ball was consumed by mechanical pruners. We didn't even know you could find that many Ancients out in deep space.

:heart:

#44 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

Since none of the three humans affect me:

explore 2J, connecting to the home system and to 1E is possible, if that cannot be done, to 1F and 1E, please.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#45 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

Can i orient my tile so that the empty side is pointing towards 2B? Hi plant things!

As for which resource to place, I'm struggling to see which is most important at this stage. I think I should be focusing on money so I get more early actions right? So I guess I'll build from the economy track.

#46 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

View PostImperial Historian, on 11 October 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

Can i orient my tile so that the empty side is pointing towards 2B? Hi plant things!

As for which resource to place, I'm struggling to see which is most important at this stage. I think I should be focusing on money so I get more early actions right? So I guess I'll build from the economy track.

Hello man-thing. We also believe economy to be the most important early resource. More economy = more possible actions each round.

We are also happy to find that you are now able to share in our soft, and slightly wet footing. May we be so bold as to propose an early alliance? We have no wish to do battle with the man-things. Our ships tend to shrivel and rot and are ill suited for combat.

Instead we hope that man-things wish to ally and thus improve their, as well as our, economic prospects. The galaxy is a dangerous place and we are green and squishy.

(IH, if you don't know. An alliance gives 1 point, and additionally gives you the option of placing one cube on the alliance token. Thus improving economy, production or science. It is possible to break an alliance, but you lose two victory points doing so, and are not allowed to ally again until someone else breaks an alliance. You can have several alliances if you wish)

#47 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

Early on, economy is definately your prime focus.
Being limited by what you can afford is a pain, because people not plagued by that issue (like the peaceful hippy morgy moss next to you, which is exploding into 6 income a turn already, meaning a ton of disks to use before going to negative income) will then place the tiles surrounding you, eventually. They'll cut you off from the juiciest locations, or occupy them before you do, or both.

At some point, you'll want/ need to build ships, if only to kill Ancients, and you'll want a couple of techs, too. So a more balanced economy becomes important then, but playing catch-up on materials + science is better than doing so on economy.

#48 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

View PostTapper, on 11 October 2012 - 10:42 AM, said:

Early on, economy is definately your prime focus.
Being limited by what you can afford is a pain, because people not plagued by that issue (like the peaceful hippy morgy moss next to you, which is exploding into 6 income a turn already, meaning a ton of disks to use before going to negative income) will then place the tiles surrounding you, eventually. They'll cut you off from the juiciest locations, or occupy them before you do, or both.

At some point, you'll want/ need to build ships, if only to kill Ancients, and you'll want a couple of techs, too. So a more balanced economy becomes important then, but playing catch-up on materials + science is better than doing so on economy.

We spread to bring happy moss to all. Do not fear our altruism.

#49 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:18 AM

I'm a little unsure about the protocol regarding waiting here. Shouldn't Morgy have waited for IH to make a decision about the orientation of 1B before exploring 1A? As it stands, IH can orient 1B such that he and the Planta can establish diplomatic relations, something that he otherwise might not have known he could do. I don't think it matters too much in this instance because it seems like that orientation would have been the right thing to do anyway, but it would be good to clarify this point for future instances of problems like this.

Also, if we're going to be doing things out of order (and I assume that this is mainly only going to happen at the beginning), then we should probably keep track of how many actions everyone has had. Thus far I make it:

Ment: 1 (exp)
D'rek: 2 (exp, exp)
Morgy: 2 (exp, exp)
IH: 1 (exp)
ST: 1 (exp)
Tapper: 2 (exp, exp)

I'm waiting on Ment before I submit my next action.

ST
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#50 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

View PostSir Thursday, on 11 October 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

I'm a little unsure about the protocol regarding waiting here. Shouldn't Morgy have waited for IH to make a decision about the orientation of 1B before exploring 1A? As it stands, IH can orient 1B such that he and the Planta can establish diplomatic relations, something that he otherwise might not have known he could do. I don't think it matters too much in this instance because it seems like that orientation would have been the right thing to do anyway, but it would be good to clarify this point for future instances of problems like this.

Also, if we're going to be doing things out of order (and I assume that this is mainly only going to happen at the beginning), then we should probably keep track of how many actions everyone has had. Thus far I make it:

ST

You are absolutely right. I should have waited until IH had decided on his tile adjustment.

And I doubt there'll be much more room for skipping players now that we all border each other (more or less). There's still some room, but I agree that we should probably slow down and let things run their natural course as much as possible.

We plants are famed for our patience, so this should be no problem.

#51 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 11 October 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

Alas, our spore ball was consumed by mechanical pruners. We didn't even know you could find that many Ancients out in deep space.

:blink:

3 planets, an artifact, and two ancients? Looks like you found the far-out ancient homeworld! :p

ST

I have no problem with explaining to IH about diplomatic relations before he chooses how to orient the tile - technically he could know that already from the rule book, but I would rather we explain the finer points to people who have never played before then be all hush-hush about it until it's too late to act upon. Maybe Morgy should've phrased it as "if you connect to me, I can offer an alliance" instead of just offering, but that's just semantics, IMO.

This post has been edited by D'rek: 11 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#52 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

Semantics are awesome. It's the very basis for my entire degree :blink:

#53 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

View PostD, on 11 October 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 11 October 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

:blink:

3 planets, an artifact, and two ancients? Looks like you found the far-out ancient homeworld! :p

ST

I have no problem with explaining to IH about diplomatic relations before he chooses how to orient the tile - technically he could know that already from the rule book, but I would rather we explain the finer points to people who have never played before then be all hush-hush about it until it's too late to act upon. Maybe Morgy should've phrased it as "if you connect to me, I can offer an alliance" instead of just offering, but that's just semantics, IMO.

Ah, maybe I wasn't clear. Of course it's quite alright to inform IH about Diplomatic Relations and the bonuses therein, and to do it earlier rather than later. However, if IH had played his tile first then he would not have known that Morgy was going to play to 1A afterwards, and therefore might not have chosen to orient it in such a way that diplomatic relations could have been established.

ST
Don't look now, but I think there's something weird attached to the bottom of my posts.

#54 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

I suppose I can't stay Anti-social much longer

explore 1C
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#55 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

View PostMentalist, on 11 October 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

explore 1C

I bet you get ancients!

IH, don't ally with Morgy, he's already dominating so badly (9 planets controlled, compared to the next best being only 5). In fact, I double-duper-dare you to explore around back to Morgy's super triple-planet + disco tile sector he's got cornered off and beat the ancients there before he can :blink:

#56 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

Alright. New update including Ment and Tapper's actions. Now we're just STD and IH's second action shy of action 3, and there I think we all should wait for ment and move forwards in a more orderly fashion.

Spoiler

#57 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

View PostD, on 11 October 2012 - 04:10 PM, said:

View PostMentalist, on 11 October 2012 - 03:56 PM, said:

explore 1C

I bet you get ancients!

IH, don't ally with Morgy, he's already dominating so badly (9 planets controlled, compared to the next best being only 5). In fact, I double-duper-dare you to explore around back to Morgy's super triple-planet + disco tile sector he's got cornered off and beat the ancients there before he can :blink:

It is in the nature of moss to grow quick, but then soon to lose its luster. A single Hegemony cruiser is superior to one of my dreadnoughts!

#58 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

Morghy, not that I am complaining (the less upkeep, the moar disks left, the moar powah!) but isn't exploring + claiming a system a 2-disc action (one for the exploration action + 1 for claiming the system)?
I think we are now using the disc which was set aside for the exploration action to claim the tile as well.

#59 User is offline   Sir Thursday 

• House Knight

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:30 PM

OK then, well I'll Explore 3K. As a preference, please try to place the tile so that it creates wormhole connections with both 2G and 2H. I want to commence relations with the Hydrans.

ST

#60 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostTapper, on 11 October 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

Morghy, not that I am complaining (the less upkeep, the moar disks left, the moar powah!) but isn't exploring + claiming a system a 2-disc action (one for the exploration action + 1 for claiming the system)?
I think we are now using the disc which was set aside for the exploration action to claim the tile as well.

I thought he just wasn't keeping track of upkeep and we do that on our own?

Share this topic:

• 41 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users