Malazan Empire: Blend becomes a Dresdencrackhead - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Blend becomes a Dresdencrackhead I wanted my own topic too!

#1 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

So I started reading the Dresden books after playing Obdigore's Dresden Mafia game, so about 4-5 weeks ago. I am now halfway through Proven Guilty, and I just can't seem to put these things down. I frikkin love Dresden's irreverent attitude, Mouse has quickly grown on me (he's really coming into his own as a character in this book) and Thomas was a favourite from the moment he walked on set so to speak. I am secretly hoping that Dresden and Murphy don't end up dating, cause I think it will ruin their friendship, but I suppose we shall see!

Anyway, all this to say, I expect to be all caught up within a couple of weeks, then I get to really geek out with everyone on this forum. In the meantime, I just wanted to note that I may have a bit of an addiction. I mean, I am putting off reading Forge of Darkness to read these books. Is that like a sin or something?
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#2 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

View PostBlend, on 27 September 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

I mean, I am putting off reading Forge of Darkness to read these books. Is that like a sin or something?

The word sin does not compute with Dresdencrack syndrome... I mean, how can it be a sin to accept the natural order of the universe?

Welcome!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#3 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

Welcome to the group, here's a small token of solidarity . . . a commemorative coin.

Is it really a sin if a Fallen Angel made you do it?
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#4 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

First read of Dresden?

You lucky, lucky, lucky bastard.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#5 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:20 PM

Eeeh, it's so good. Am just about through Proven Guilty. Charity and Harry are in Mab's tower in Arctis Tor fighting the Scarecrow fetch. So good!
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#6 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

View PostBlend, on 01 October 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

Eeeh, it's so good. Am just about through Proven Guilty. Charity and Harry are in Mab's tower in Arctis Tor fighting the Scarecrow fetch. So good!

Incidentally, I'm happy that Murphy and Dresden were adults about their relationship, and the Lasciel thing is starting to be really tense. I have read somewhere that Nicodemus shows up every five books, so I know I'm probably still a couple books away from that resolution, but man, everytime he talks to her I just get the heeby jeebies.

It came as a HUGE surprise to me that Charity had Talent. Finally explained the dislike she has had for Harry all these years, despite his having saved her life in Grave Peril. And the mental image of Charity in all that mail, with the big sledgehammer slung over her shoulder when they started into the NeverNever was just all kinds of awesome.

#7 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

View PostBlend, on 01 October 2012 - 01:24 PM, said:

I have read somewhere that Nicodemus shows up every five books, so I know I'm probably still a couple books away from that resolution, but man, everytime he talks to her I just get the heeby jeebies.

Holy bleeping hell, it's true. Book #5 and Book #10. Although some of the Denarian stuff shades over elsewhere for a tiny bit.

Good catch, Blend.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

View Postamphibian, on 01 October 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

I have read somewhere that Nicodemus shows up every five books, so I know I'm probably still a couple books away from that resolution, but man, everytime he talks to her I just get the heeby jeebies.

Holy bleeping hell, it's true. Book #5 and Book #10. Although some of the Denarian stuff shades over elsewhere for a tiny bit.

Good catch, Blend.

When I was researching for Dresden Mafia, I read that Butcher basically confirmed that Nicodemus will be back in Book 15, to keep up the current trend of him showing up every five books.

This post has been edited by Blend: 01 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

#9 User is offline   champ 

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

View PostBlend, on 01 October 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

Good catch, Blend.

When I was researching for Dresden Mafia, I read that Butcher basically confirmed that Nicodemus will be back in Book 15, to keep up the current trend of him showing up every five books.

Which should be awesome considering how their last meeting ended and where Dresden is set up now for Cold Days! So it will be next one after Cold Days, rock on!

edit

Obviously no further comment for spoilers for Blend, not sure where you are at!

This post has been edited by champ: 02 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

Tehol said:

#10 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

View Postchamp, on 02 October 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

View PostBlend, on 01 October 2012 - 03:52 PM, said:

Good catch, Blend.

Which should be awesome considering how their last meeting ended and where Dresden is set up now for Cold Days! So it will be next one after Cold Days, rock on!

edit

Obviously no further comment for spoilers for Blend, not sure where you are at!

Am currently about 1/3 of the way through White Night. Reading about the incident in Albequerque with the Warden trainees and the Ghouls at the moment. So far I'm not as into this book as I was into the last book. I mean, I just felt Harry was being dumb as shit for not realizing that one of the people he was following (Grey Cloak and Passenger) via Little Chicago HAD to be Madrigal Raith. And then when Cowl popped back up, well, I have to say I was surprised. Can't seem to keep the bad guys down, eh? Anyway, it's only 1/3 of the way in, and it's usually around the halfway mark that these books start getting so good I can't put them down, so we'll see!

#11 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

Just finished Small Favor. I frikkin love the Denarians, they're such wicked cool bad guys! I'm loving the whole "Is Thorned Namshiel dead or not" thing, and I personally was rooting for the Luccio/Dresden connection the whole book. It's too bad that Nicodemus didn't have much more of a role to play this book, even though the rest of them were pretty cool too. I just think Nicodemus is much more interesting as far as bad guys go. And though the giant Gruff going into McAnally's Pub to challenge Dresden was hilarious, I knew from the moment he said his older brother had yet to arrive that the oldest Gruff would be extremely short, so that killed the suspense for me. (Blame Final Fantasy for that one)

Have started into Turn Coat, and straight up I love the idea of Dresden having to help Morgan. The skinwalker is creepy as fuck, and I'm worried that the headaches might have something to do with the Soulfire thing from Uriel, but I've really got no idea. I now own the rest of the books, so I should be quite caught up within a week or three! :blink:

This post has been edited by Blend: 15 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

View PostBlend, on 15 October 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

Just finished Small Favor. I frikkin love the Denarians, they're such wicked cool bad guys! I'm loving the whole "Is Thorned Namshiel dead or not" thing, and I personally was rooting for the Luccio/Dresden connection the whole book. It's too bad that Nicodemus didn't have much more of a role to play this game, and though the giant Gruff going into McAnally's Pub to challenge Dresden was hilarious, I knew from the moment he said his older brother had yet to arrive that the oldest Gruff would be extremely short.

I loved the Gruffs and i loved the Dresden and co, especially Murphy, played off them.

Have started into Turn Coat, and straight up I love the idea of Dresden having to help Morgan. The skinwalker is creepy as fuck, and I'm worried that the headaches might have something to do with the Soulfire thing from Uriel. I now own the rest of the books, so I should be quite caught up within a week or three!

You're in for awesome, but you know that already.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:28 AM

View PostBriar King, on 15 October 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

Small Favor is def in the top 5 of the series prob to me, so you should be good to go in it.

I thought the first Denarians book was a million times better. I mean, the Denarians as a whole are a really awesome concept, but Tessa's crew wasn't even close to as cool as Nicodemus' crew back in book 5.

#14 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

I'm with Briar King -- I love Small Favour. All the books with Mab and the fae are in my top 5. And if that means there are more than 5 books in my top 5, well, that's just all the more books for me.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#15 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

I love Changes. I just Love it. Then again I love them all.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#16 User is offline   champ 

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Hard to pick a favourite Dresden book... for me:

Best Ending: Dead Beat
Best Kick Ass Lines: Changes
Best Overall: Small Favour

Tehol said:

#17 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

Top faves are Dead Beat, Changes, Death Masks, Ghost Story.

#18 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

My favourite books are the ones that involve the Carpenters. I realize now that Molly is very much involved in pretty much everything Harry's doing since she's become his apprentice, but like Grave Peril was an awesome intro to them, and then when Harry and Charity and Murphy and Thomas assault Arctis Tor in Proven Guilty, I was squeeing in delight. I rather enjoy the White Court vampire books, Lara Raith is a fun bad/good/neutral guy, but so far I have to say my favourite was Death Masks, followed closely by Proven Guilty, then Dead Beat (that's the one with the Necromancers, right?).

#19 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

View PostBlend, on 17 October 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

My favourite books are the ones that involve the Carpenters. I realize now that Molly is very much involved in pretty much everything Harry's doing since she's become his apprentice, but like Grave Peril was an awesome intro to them, and then when Harry and Charity and Murphy and Thomas assault Arctis Tor in Proven Guilty, I was squeeing in delight.

They are a great great part of the supporting cast and i really like how Butcher dropped hints of their backstory over time. I also like how Michael's story wove into the broader story of the swords which in turn gets to Harry and Murphy and the Merlin.

I rather enjoy the White Court vampire books, Lara Raith is a fun bad/good/neutral guy,

Lara's awesome. She chews up virtually every scene she's in.

but so far I have to say my favourite was Death Masks, followed closely by Proven Guilty, then Dead Beat (that's the one with the Necromancers, right?).

Necromancers and
Spoiler
, right.

#20 User is offline   Blend 

• View gallery

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:45 PM

View PostAbyss, on 17 October 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

Necromancers and
Spoiler
, right.

Yes!!!! When Bob possessed it I was practically cheering out loud and laughing hysterically!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users