• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New to series.

#21 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

I preferred the Astroid Dresden name too haha!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#22 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostChaeone, on 24 November 2012 - 07:02 PM, said:

I bargained with my fiancee that if she would read the Dresden books i would read a series of her choosing. She has read the first 2 before but just didn't get hooked, and i can understand that, i felt the series didn't really kick off until book 4, but i had to read a series called the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. the first book in that series was torturous, poor writing and a not very gripping story were very poor motivation.

However, due to the fact that I Love Dresden and my future wife to be so much (not necessarily in that order) I persevered and in the end quite enjoyed the series despite its many shortcomings.

Moral of the story is, I love Dresden so freaking much that I put myself through a less than aggreeable experience ( initially at least) in order for my other half to get the rush I get everytime I read the books.

Your sacrifice is a model to us all.
Prompt her to try book 3. Tell her is has a compelling love story and a sophisticated female antagonist.
Then prepare to duck.

View PostBrujah, on 26 November 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

I sort of fell behind on my reading there for a bit. I spent most of last week in the hospital, as I have a few health issues I'm dealing with. Which is odd, because you'd think being stuck there in bed would be conducive to reading, but it just didn't work out that way.

Anyway, I finally finished Death Masks, and all I can really say is that it's quite phenomenal. Def best book in series so far. Very, very excellent

The finale of DM blew my mind and white certain later books moved it down from the #1 position, it remained my favoritest dresdencrack from some time.

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 26 November 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

View PostBrujah, on 26 November 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

Favorite character in a book from this series with relatively little part - Ebenezer McCoy. "You need to watch the news." Best death ever? Wow. So full of awesome.

That was incredibly awesome. The series has a lot of moments like that where it's casually revealed that a character is a major badass.

And i do so enjoy how Butcher does that.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#23 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Yeah, and the whole foreshadowing with the talk of the telescope, and the way he threw in the little story about Asteroid Dresden was splendid. I thought, at the time, is what just background information to establish some of Dresden and McCoys past, and basically it was used mainly to tell him of a secret place where he could hide out. Then the way he tied it off at the end with some McCoy Megaton-Bomb-Special, can't be beat. Clever and quite entertaining.

At this point I'm most intrigued as to who exactly Dresdens mother was, and the whole story behind his parents and what really happened, etc. They have hinted at least twice that he's possibly stronger than your average human. So I don't know if he's something else entirely, or he has some kind of raw, hidden power, or something. Def intrigued. Although I did happen to accidentally find out a huge spoiler of Ghost Story, which I'd rather not have known early, but oh well, not that big of a deal.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#24 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

Oh, and just figured I'd toss this out there. Sarah's favorite part of Death Masks is
Spoiler

Couldn't remember the spoiler rules. Figured safe for now.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#25 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

View PostBrujah, on 26 November 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

...They have hinted at least twice that he's possibly stronger than your average human. So I don't know if he's something else entirely, or he has some kind of raw, hidden power, or something. Def intrigued.

They have?
Where?
...or are you referring to a wizards' inherent 'healing factor' and longer life span?

Although I did happen to accidentally find out a huge spoiler of Ghost Story, which I'd rather not have known early, but oh well, not that big of a deal.

Not sure what spoiler you tripped but of the ones i can think of offhand, if it's any consolation, what you think you know is probably not exactly accurate... :sofa:

#26 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

Yeah, I'll see if I can pinpoint the page on which it hinted that Dresden might be more than he seems. I was thinking it was Nicodemus saying to him when he had Dresden tied up that he respected Dresden's mother, which in itself is both creepy and interesting, and then I believe the phrase was something along the lines of "you don't even know what you are," or something that gave me an impression of hidden power or nonhuman lineage.

Checking.

- Maynard James Keenan

#27 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

Page 274 of Death Masks. Nicodemus says to Dresden. " You look like a mortal, Dresden. But make no mistake. You aren't one."

I can't remember where the other instance occurred, or what was said. But I remember this and wondering what he meant by it.

- Maynard James Keenan

#28 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Oh, and the Ghost Story spoiler I tripped over was
Spoiler

- Maynard James Keenan

#29 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Ouch. Dude, that sucks. But there is more to it so you're not completely spoiled.

As for the Nicodamus comment, i had figured that was a ref to wizards in general, but now that you mention it there may very well be more to it.
Specuate further when you catch up with the rest of us addicts.

#30 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

Yeah, I see how he could of been referring to wizards, now that you mention it.

There was something else in either earlier in this same book, Death Masks, or the one before it. Also someone says something to him along the same lines.

Anyway, it's good fun.

- Maynard James Keenan

#31 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

Just finished Fool Moon and i didn't know where to post, so i'll just borrow this thread.
sooo..... really liked it, imho better written than the first, with a better background and a more complex plot but... i simply liked storm front more, i guess i'm the only one and i don't know why either.
Needless to say i'll go on with the series (after finishing The fires of heaven).

Could you please tell me if these are inconsistencies or RAFO stuff(or other)?
-in SF Harry soulgazes Bianca , but in FM he says you can't soulgaze creatures from the Nevernever
-the circle in dresden lab is made of brass(or bronze, can't remember) at first, then copper

Also i'd like some non-spoilerous explanation on how the soulgaze thing works... he seems to look in Murphy's eyes a lot but i don't think the SG ever actually happened with her.
Oh and how the f*ck does he keep sounds n colours in folded napkins? with black magicz?

Thanks!!

This post has been edited by Tehol the Only: 05 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

We are the Vord. Prepare to be assimilated. Furycrafting is futile.

#32 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostTehol the Only, on 05 January 2013 - 06:05 PM, said:

-in SF Harry soulgazes Bianca , but in FM he says you can't soulgaze creatures from the Nevernever

Bianca isn't from the Nevernever. She's a vampire.
meh. Link was dead :(

#33 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Uh i'm pretty sure that vampires are described as creatures of the nevernever

from storm front chapter 2

This hadn't been the act of a malign spirit or a malicious entity, the attack of one of the many creatures of the Nevernever, like vampires or trolls

I also knew that she was a vampiress of considerable influence in the Nevernever

This post has been edited by Tehol the Only: 05 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

#34 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Vampires are not solely of the Nevernever, and some are more human than others. They all seem to start out human, though, so Harry can soulgaze em just fine. The demesnes of senior vampires reaches into the Nevernever, and presumably they are old enough to have made alliances and will have influence that way.

A soulgaze only happens once -- Harry and Murphy have gazed before the beginning of Storm Front, IIRC.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#35 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

oh i think i got i now thanks a lot!

I completely forgot about the murphy soulgaze tho, i'll have to check it.

#36 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

View PostUse Of Weapons, on 05 January 2013 - 08:03 PM, said:

Harry and Murphy have gazed before the beginning of Storm Front, IIRC.

Really? Are you sure you aren't thinking of Susan?

Anyway, you can look someone in the eyes without starting a soulgaze as long as you aren't both focusing on each other. I'm sure many times Harry looks at Karrin's eyes she isn't looking back at him at the moment.

This post has been edited by D'rek: 10 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#37 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

Yeah, I don't think it's Murphy. I could swear that as of the end of Dead Beat, which is where I am, he hasn't ever soulgazed with Murphy, and has actually avoided it, or she has, one. I might be wrong, though.

Anyway, I haven't really posted much on the series since I read Blood Masks. I've just finished Dead Beat, and am a little into Proven Guilty, and I never got a chance to say how awesome times infinity Dead Beat was/is. I won't bore everyone with repeating for the umteenth time the kick ass parts in the book, but I will say how it's my favorite by a large margin so far, with Dead Masks second. Not to take away from Blood Rites, it was amazing, too. But Death Masks was insanely good, Blood Rites was good, but Dead Beat is off the chart.

I really love Harry's storyline and character development, especially his inner struggles and the way Butcher lets us see into his mind as he navigates the choices that make Dresden, Dresden. And I'm really loving the newest temptation in the form of Lasciel. I honestly wouldn't be able to make the 'better' choices and decisions he does. I'd have been dead from sleeping with Susan, and allowing her to kill me as a true vampire 100 times over by now. I'd be dead because I sure as hell would have nailed Inari that time she threw herself on me. I'd have even been dead from Charity walking in on me in the hotel room for sleeping with Molly. Oh, and I'd either be dead or enslaved to the Winter Court the time Maeve summoned that super sexy Faerie lady from the pools of liquid the time Harry and Billy went to meet with Winter the first time. What can I say? I'm no Harry Dresden. Alright, I'm only kidding.

I do like how Harry is able to resist temptation, but we see how his will power wavers, and how now it seems as if he's losing his struggle with Lasciel, at least somewhat, like when he lets her make and leave his shower water hot, and his increased use of Hellfire.Oh, did I mention I would have sooo nailed Lasciel in the apartment when she was pretending to be the sexy librarian! JK

Back to Proven Guilty.

- Maynard James Keenan

#38 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:15 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention how I'd have been slept with Murphy, too, after the scene where she has to take her pants off to disarm that bomb. The idea of her fighting undead in her panties was just too much! Sorry.

JUST
KIDDING

- Maynard James Keenan

#39 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Wow. I shit you not. I honestly couldn't put the books down last night, and read for about 12 hours. I finished Proven Guilty, started White Night, and finished White Night this afternoon.

I'm beginning to not be able to choose which books are better. Dead Beat through White Night has been one long awesome, non-stop joy ride. Dresden's character is becoming even more complex, as he continues to battle himself with the choices that continue to decide who he is. It's a really great struggle between the classic fight between Good and Evil, Right vs Wrong, Light vs Dark, etc. It's not quite Star Wars when it comes to the story of inner struggle, but Butcher really makes me want to care for the characters.

Butcher has not only driven the content of the story down a really interesting path, but the way he writes seem to evolve, and get better with each book. I would make the example of the scene where Harry, Dresden, Elaine, Thomas, and the women Thomas is protecting are aboard the boat, and the group of Ghouls attack them. This fight scene is great, but I really like how when Harry falls into the water, through the broken ice, and as he starts losing conscious, he finds himself back at the Warden Training camp in New Mexico(I believe). This flashback scene is so well done, and perfectly placed.

I thought it was really just scene after scene of some of the best parts of the story, starting with the entire book of Dead Beat, moving to the development of the relationship with Lasciel and her temtation, to the end of Proven Guilty where they launch the awesome attack on Arctis Tor, to the gathering of the Council to discuss the fate of Molly, on to the end of White Night where Dresden really starts to toss some major mojo around.

What can I say? I would have never thought Id enjoy these books, based on their use of a current timeline setting. I also had serious reservations about it being a Private Investigator theme. I'm quite surprised. I'm now starting to dislike the fact that I'm getting closer to the end of the current series. I'll have to start finding some new backups. I'm saving the last WoT novel for when I'm done, and probably finish the rest of Black Company. Still, Dresden has grown on me far more than most main characters usually have since the end of Malazan series.

- Maynard James Keenan

#40 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:48 AM

almost finished Grave Peril and loving it... great fun and all but, again, i'm quite confused about some of the details... during the party at Bianca's Harry states that "Vampires can't be soulgazed because they have no souls", ok, i'm fine with that; 2 pages later "i almost looked into Thomas eyes long enough to gaze into him" or something like that ... also the damned summoning circle has already changed from copper to brass half a dozen times

Well, if those ARE actually errors/inconsistencies this is starting to go from "very minor issue" to "very minor but still fuckin annoying issue" (i mean, if rules can change randomly every couple pages the entire magic system suffers from it).

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users