• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New to series.

#1 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:44 AM

I basically just wanted to create my own thread for commenting on the books as I read them, because I have been posting in Bliss's thread, and didn't want to hijack it.

I just finished book 2, and I'm extremely pleased with it. I thought the first book was great, but I didn't believe it lived up even close to the amazing hype this series receives, yet after reading the second book, I'm all aboard.

I love the Dresden character. He's complex, but complex presented in a simple, genuine way. I find myself very fond of his character. My wife is also reading the series. She is on book 3, so ill have to wait until she finishes it to start book 3, but that won't be long. We both only take about two days to read one, as they're not very long, and are an easy read.

My favorite aspect of the books so far are just how badass Dresden can be at times, even though he's totally taking an ass beating. As mentioned in the other thread, I love the scene where Dresden is in the police station, fighting the WW, and blows a hole through a wall, and as he moves through it, his only thought is how he wished he was wearing his black duster because it would have just looked badass.

I like the simple way Butcher states certain things, like when Dresden has just bailed out of the car on Susan and Tera, and he's waiting for the truck that was following them to arrive, and he pulls out his blasting rod and "blows the fucking tires off the truck." Then shortly thereafter, as he is approaching Parker, and the other two werewolves, and he's all beaten to shit, wearing torn clothes, yet is smiling and singing Carmen, while twirling his blasting rod as he nears - AND how he uses that bracelet to cause the bullets they shoot at him to cause no harm, and says, ' he still had enough energy to continue singing Carmen.'

Yeah, very entertaining book.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:39 AM

Sorry, board policy is we can't post in the thread of a man who's been caught with illegal substances on or in his person. Mods, please shut this thread down, thanks.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:03 AM

But it was oregano, I promise.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:42 AM

View Postworrywort, on 16 September 2012 - 05:39 AM, said:

Sorry, board policy is we can't post in the thread of a man who's been caught with illegal substances on or in his person. Mods, please shut this thread down, thanks.

He's signed up for the 12 book program so technically that would be descrimination.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:40 AM

This is not a critique of book 3, it's outstanding, but I still like book 2 the best so far. I started The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss, so I'll start book 4 as soon as I'm done.

- Maynard James Keenan

#6 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:39 AM

View PostAbyss, on 27 August 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

View PostBrujah, on 27 August 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

.... I was just saying that their was a hype around the books that made them sound like the greatest books ever...

I think you'll find that the hype is based on the series, not the individual books and not the first few certainly. I liked the first three well enough but it was 4 that hooked me and from there on well there's a reason we call it the dresdencrack.

As for 'greatest ever'... i'd say more like 'mostest funnest ever'.

I got stuck on a few other books for a while, but just finished book 4, and just grabbed book 5. I remembered this post about book 4 being a turning point, and I had to come and agree. I REALLY liked the first 3, with Full Moon being my favorite, but Book 4 DOES snare you on in fully. I was much pleased with it, and I even went into it having heard the hype about it being the book that grabs you, and I have to say, it did. Amazing is pretty much all I have to say.

Ok, starting Death Masks.

- Maynard James Keenan

#7 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 September 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

The last 100 or so pgs of 3 will amp your shit up....and you should just be blown away by 4.

Was def blown away. It was fan-fucking-tastic.

- Maynard James Keenan

#8 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:33 AM

View PostBriar King, on 29 October 2012 - 02:15 AM, said:

Awesome glad you liked it! Just to let you know also Death Mask is my 2nd fav of the series. Your going to be in for a treat with this one.

I agree. Best one so far. I read half of it last night in the time I had.

- Maynard James Keenan

#9 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

Death Masks ranks among my top 3 at the moment, and I'm currently on the most recently published book (13 I think?)
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#10 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

Death Masks was a lot of fun but I didn't care for the A-plot/B-plot structure.

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 29 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

#11 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:37 AM

Is anyone else extremely turned on by the character Susan? I read the scenes involving her, and I can't but help imagining her as an extremely attractive, sexually charged, super sensual, awesome bodied vixen of desire.

I always tease my wife about Susan's scenes, as we're both reading the series at the same pace. We usually are within a few chapters of each other, each book. But for some reason, she said last night that she pictures Johnny Marcone as looking like Richard Gere in her mind. I tend to picture Dresden, especially from the front cover of Storm Front, as Guy Pierce.(sp?)

Any of you guys and gals have any weird visualizations for any of the characters?

- Maynard James Keenan

#12 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

View PostBrujah, on 01 November 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

she said last night that she pictures Johnny Marcone as looking like Richard Gere in her mind

Eww.

Can't unpicture it!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostD, on 01 November 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

she said last night that she pictures Johnny Marcone as looking like Richard Gere in her mind

Eww.

Can't unpicture it!

...there's a weregerbil joke here somewhere but i can't quite articulate it...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#14 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 03 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

View PostAbyss, on 01 November 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

View PostD, on 01 November 2012 - 04:22 PM, said:

Eww.

Can't unpicture it!

...there's a weregerbil joke here somewhere but i can't quite articulate it...

Ha!

I ALWAYS teased her about gerbils as soon as she said that. She would just give me a 'look' and I would leave it alone. But I can't wait to use weregerbil with her, as if it were my own brilliant joke.

She says she sees Marcone as an older man, greying hair, but very handsome. She just thinks gerbil fits the hole.....err...I mean....Gere fits the description.

At least my view of Guy Pierce is better than her viewing him as 'Matthew' off the sitcom 'The New Adventures of old Christine."

Anyway, she's done with the book 5, where as I am only a little more than half(much work lately)and it absolutely blew her mind. I was at her mercy as we don't buy two copies of the same book. I might finish tonight or tomorow, depending on how much work comes up.

With that said, the book gets increasingly awesome with each single page.

This post has been edited by Brujah: 03 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

- Maynard James Keenan

#15 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

Get ready to buy all the rest in one splurge.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#16 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

View Postworrywort, on 03 November 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Get ready to buy all the rest in one splurge.

Heh, that's pretty much what I did after book 5. Except it was two big splurges rather than one huge splurge.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#17 User is offline   rhulad 

• First Sword

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

I splurged after reading the first.

#18 User is offline   Chaeone 

• Irish Expat

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

I bargained with my fiancee that if she would read the Dresden books i would read a series of her choosing. She has read the first 2 before but just didn't get hooked, and i can understand that, i felt the series didn't really kick off until book 4, but i had to read a series called the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. the first book in that series was torturous, poor writing and a not very gripping story were very poor motivation.

However, due to the fact that I Love Dresden and my future wife to be so much (not necessarily in that order) I persevered and in the end quite enjoyed the series despite its many shortcomings.

Moral of the story is, I love Dresden so freaking much that I put myself through a less than aggreeable experience ( initially at least) in order for my other half to get the rush I get everytime I read the books.

#19 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

I sort of fell behind on my reading there for a bit. I spent most of last week in the hospital, as I have a few health issues I'm dealing with. Which is odd, because you'd think being stuck there in bed would be conducive to reading, but it just didn't work out that way.

Anyway, I finally finished Death Masks, and all I can really say is that it's quite phenomenal. Def best book in series so far. Very, very excellent. Dresden is such a pimp, especially due to his complete lack of trying to be so.

Favorite character in a book from this series with relatively little part - Ebenezer McCoy. "You need to watch the news." Best death ever? Wow. So full of awesome.

Blood Rites.
Batter-up.

- Maynard James Keenan

#20 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

View PostBrujah, on 26 November 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

Favorite character in a book from this series with relatively little part - Ebenezer McCoy. "You need to watch the news." Best death ever? Wow. So full of awesome.

That was incredibly awesome. The series has a lot of moments like that where it's casually revealed that a character is a major badass.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users