• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lady Bliss goes Dresdencrackhead

#1 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

Hi I'm Bliss and I'm a Dresdencrackhead.

I started reading the Dresdencrack in July and just finished Ghost Stories. I'm having severe withdrawal symptoms including (but not limited to) shakes, vomiting, insomnia, and tourette syndrome.
I'm not sure how to sum up the series, there were so many high points.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

Split your post off to its own thread because you're further along than Tiste.
And yes,
Spoiler

THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 19 August 2012 - 09:04 AM, said:

Hi I'm Bliss and I'm a Dresdencrackhead.

I started reading the Dresdencrack in July and just finished Ghost Stories. I'm having severe withdrawal symptoms including (but not limited to) shakes, vomiting, insomnia, and tourette syndrome.
I'm not sure how to sum up the series, there were so many high points.

If you need something to help you with your tourette syndrome may I suggest that you take on the next blood dripping stone mother fucking statue vagina rebirthing Heroes Die By MATHEW RAMFISTING FUCKING STOVER. It is heroin to Dresdens crack.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#4 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:18 AM

I grabbed Storm Front after we finished the mafia game, and read it real quick. I'd say it was ok. It seems extremely simply written, and only took me a day to read, but I liked it. I like the Dresden character a lot. I didn't get the whole amazing hype that I'd heard, though. Someone said it takes a few books for Butcher to improve, so I look forward to the series, even though I already know the plot line by heart from reading about it for mafia game.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#5 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

View PostBrujah, on 26 August 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

I grabbed Storm Front after we finished the mafia game, and read it real quick. I'd say it was ok. It seems extremely simply written, and only took me a day to read, but I liked it. I like the Dresden character a lot. I didn't get the whole amazing hype that I'd heard, though. Someone said it takes a few books for Butcher to improve, so I look forward to the series, even though I already know the plot line by heart from reading about it for mafia game.

Blasphemer!! I loved the first one, but I do agree with the others that around book 3 or 4 you really get sucked in.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#6 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

IMO, books 1 and 2 are just pretty good, 3 is good, and 4 on are Fucking amazing!!!!!!!!!

In conclusion, just keep reading, you wont regret it. No one, in the history of the written word, has ever regretted reading The Dresden Files.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

I just watched the first three seconds of The Godfather. Uh, nothing happened! All hype I think.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

View Postworrywort, on 27 August 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

I just watched the first three seconds of The Godfather. Uh, nothing happened! All hype I think.

It only really gets going after the fourth second.

#9 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:13 PM

HHaha. Very funny. But no, I wasn't saying it wasn't good. I liked it a lot. My wife read it, too and she liked it. I'm going to grab the others soon as I can. I was just saying that their was a hype around the books that made them sound like the greatest books ever. I felt like the first book was really fun, entertaining, even funny, I just didn't see it as the greatest series it's described as, yet. But I can understand that it would take a few books, and I'm definitely going to read them all. It's possible that ill be back here having to write the 'you guys were right' post, and I hope I do feel that way, especially after just finishing The Crippled God a couple months ago, and needing another good series to read. I bought the first book of The Black Company as well. I'm going to RI.ish it tonight. It was good, too. I tried to get the first books by Rothfuss and Abercrombie, but they only had their newest books, neither of the series beginners. I plan on reading those two series after Dresden and Black Company.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

View PostBrujah, on 27 August 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

.... I was just saying that their was a hype around the books that made them sound like the greatest books ever...

I think you'll find that the hype is based on the series, not the individual books and not the first few certainly. I liked the first three well enough but it was 4 that hooked me and from there on well there's a reason we call it the dresdencrack.

As for 'greatest ever'... i'd say more like 'mostest funnest ever'.

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

What's that gotta do with The Godfather, Brujah? Please stay on topic.

#12 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

View PostBrujah, on 27 August 2012 - 07:13 PM, said:

. . . I'm going to grab the others soon as I can. I was just saying that their was a hype around the books that made them sound like the greatest books ever. I felt like the first book was really fun, entertaining, even funny, I just didn't see it as the greatest series it's described as, yet. But I can understand that it would take a few books, and I'm definitely going to read them all. It's possible that ill be back here having to write the 'you guys were right' post, and I hope I do feel that way, especially after just finishing The Crippled God a couple months ago, and needing another good series to read. . . .

One of us! One of us! One of uuuuusss!

I agree with what other have said, the first couple of books are fun, easy to read, and satisfying. Then you get hooked, you realize that there is more to the books than standalone novels, that things go a little deeper than what you expected from the "brain candy."
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#13 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

No one sees things my way. Book 2 for me was brilliant. An interesting take on things i thought I knew well and it rocketed up from there. I'm scared to touch changes or ghost stories. Currently lapping up side stories to keep my hands from twitching violently all over the damn keyboard aghrggggg Dresdencrack! *Rips phonebook*
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

I liked book 2 a lot too, because I like when different forces are up against each other. It reminded me of that episode of The Real Ghostbusters called "No One Comes to Lupusville" where they went to a town filled with bad vampires who were in a leadership struggle with good vampires who were sick of the evil leader Gregor, and then it turns out that there are people locked in the basement, and when they're released it's revealed that the original townspeople are werewolves! So there's a big fight at the end that is vampire vs. vampire vs. werewolf, and they're all biting each other and turning each other into vampire/werewolf crossbreeds and such.

#15 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

View PostDolmen+, on 29 August 2012 - 06:30 PM, said:

No one sees things my way. Book 2 for me was brilliant. An interesting take on things i thought I knew well and it rocketed up from there. I'm scared to touch changes or ghost stories. Currently lapping up side stories to keep my hands from twitching violently all over the damn keyboard aghrggggg Dresdencrack! *Rips phonebook*

I actually loved the first two books. I found three slightly disappointing (though I can't for the life of me remember how that's possible) and I didn't care much for four. Death Masks is where it finally clicked for me.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

FOOL MOON is awesome for two things - using different flavours of werewolf in a way that totaly worked, and Marcone.
It loses some oomph because it otherwise plays out very much like STORM FRONT, particularly in the sense of Dresden gets beat up, everyone is after Dresden, Dresden is tired, Dresnden is in trouble, etc... theses things all happen inboth books in very similar ways. That said, FM ends well and hooked me enough to keep going. 3 is more of the same with a great finale. 4 is just awesome.

#17 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

Ok, wifey is smarter than me, so I shall defer to her, and she's already in love with the series. I too think I'm hooked. I love Harry, I like how butcher makes him so damn cynical at the world.

- Maynard James Keenan

#18 User is offline   Shiara 

• High Scribe of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:34 AM

Just finished Blood Rites, and I have to say it marked a great improvement in the series. Definitely going to keep reading, though I wouldn't call it "crack" just yet.
*casting the shaved knuckle*

#19 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:43 AM

View PostShiara, on 04 September 2012 - 03:34 AM, said:

Just finished Blood Rites, and I have to say it marked a great improvement in the series. Definitely going to keep reading, though I wouldn't call it "crack" just yet.

#20 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

Just got book 2, starting NOW.

- Maynard James Keenan

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users