Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Several questions about the book

#1 User is offline   12davargo 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:22 AM

Ok so I just finished reading the book and enjoyed it very much despite its rather...frustrating...anyways onto my questions

1. How many soldiers were in Coltaines original force (Everyone Wickans, the 7th, even the dogs if it numbers them)

2. What is the purpose of the giant finger that Heboric touches (my guess is that it comes up in later books so just says RAFO if so)

3. I imagine this is another RAFO but will the Warlocks be making a come back, all but two of them died...again. I think its rather clear that everyone's favorite fist is being reborn but unless i missed it nothing was said about the warlocks.

4. WHY does shadowthrone want to stop the shapeshifters? I just can't comprehend why he would want to stop them as badly as to risk his hounds lives. As well as that why is he trying so hard to get Icarium captured by the Azath? Potential threat or what?

Thanks guys!!

#2 User is offline   Tehol the Only 

• Fist

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

1. I really can't remember,sorry... i'm pretty sure it's said somewhere in the book but i read it a long time ago.
2. RAFO
3. RAFO
4. I don't think this is clearly stated anytime in the books but my guess is that the ascendancy of a new god (and an ancient, very powerful and potentially savage one on top of it) would bring chaos in the pantheon, and for a "new guy" god like Shadowthrone this is potentially very risky. Also a new player joining the fray would make predicting the outcome of many situations quite difficult, and for a scheming one like ST this would probably be unbearable.
We are the Vord. Prepare to be assimilated. Furycrafting is futile.

#3 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

As for question 4... what Tehol the Only already said, plus this.... a god of shapeshifters would potentially have ridiculous amounts of power right from the start, due to the power of all the shapeshifters. A new powerful player who Shadowthrone can't predict would muck up his plans, and he just can't have that.

Add to this that most shapeshifters appear to be insane to some degree or another, and due to this are already dangerous. An insane shapeshifter god just seems like they'd be bad news.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#4 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

I may be misremembering, but wasn't the Path of Hands a potential route to ascending the Beast Throne? It's possible that the occupants of the Beast Throne would hold some sway over the Hounds, and as such it makes sense to use them to oppose it. Limiting one's losses, in a sense.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#5 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

View Post12davargo, on 13 August 2012 - 02:22 AM, said:

Ok so I just finished reading the book and enjoyed it very much despite its rather...frustrating...anyways onto my questions

1. How many soldiers were in Coltaines original force (Everyone Wickans, the 7th, even the dogs if it numbers them)

2. What is the purpose of the giant finger that Heboric touches (my guess is that it comes up in later books so just says RAFO if so)

3. I imagine this is another RAFO but will the Warlocks be making a come back, all but two of them died...again. I think its rather clear that everyone's favorite fist is being reborn but unless i missed it nothing was said about the warlocks.

4. WHY does shadowthrone want to stop the shapeshifters? I just can't comprehend why he would want to stop them as badly as to risk his hounds lives. As well as that why is he trying so hard to get Icarium captured by the Azath? Potential threat or what?

Thanks guys!!

1. Its never actually stated AFAIK but the Wickans are around 5000 men in various clans IIRC. In GOTM its stated that Dujeks force wil increase from 10000 to 25000 which includes 2 legions and the Wickans. The 7th army accounts for around 5000 probably for a few reasons. The Roman Army its based on had Legions of 5000,the statistic above from GOTM and the fact that when Dujek merges the Second Fifth and Sixth armies in GOTM he has around 10000 men. However the legion stationed at Aren was 10000 strong and later Malazan armies are around a similar size so its open to interpretation. Also forces like the loyal Hissari Regulars and the Red Blades also add up.

2. RAFO

3.RAFO

4. He wants to stop the shapeshifters from converging on his temple. When you read on it might become clearer so ill just leave it there

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users