• You cannot reply to this topic

Draconus and Anomander Ummmm...

#21 User is offline   SonOfDarkness 

• Lord of Moons Spawn
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Mother Darks Favoured Son

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:11 AM

Siergiej, on 22 September 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

SonofDarkness: nope, Anomander is the oldest of the three.

Andarist is the oldest. It is stated in the book and also in Malaz wiki!

#22 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:48 PM

where in the book is this stated as I've yet to come across anything that contradicts Anomander as eldest.....which is to say if it is in the book I may have easily missed it due to the herbal inspirations that were being utilised pre-read

#23 User is offline   Avernite 

• Corporal

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:07 PM

SonOfDarkness, on 24 September 2012 - 03:11 AM, said:

Siergiej, on 22 September 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

SonofDarkness: nope, Anomander is the oldest of the three.

Andarist is the oldest. It is stated in the book and also in Malaz wiki!

My copy of Forge of Darkness clearly lists Anomander, Andarist, Silchas (in that order), but the ordering seems to not all be by age.. However in HoC ch12/page 525 ( tor paperback) it also says:

It had been a guess, but Darist's expression was all the affirmation needed. Anomander Rake's younger brother.

#24 User is offline   Smuuve 

• Recruit

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

Sorry Aernite, but FOD makes it clear that EVERYTHING in previous Malaz books is as solid as air.

#25 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

Smuuve, on 26 September 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

Sorry Aernite, but FOD makes it clear that EVERYTHING in previous Malaz books is as solid as air.

i just have to say that i feel like you are really over-reacting smuuve. i've read all three of your posts and been suprised by the extent to which you feel like SE is cutting the ground out from under us. the time period the MBotF is set in is about 2-300,000 years after FoD. over such a long stretch of time, there's no possible way for the truth of events to be passed on with any accuracy. even for characters that have lived through all of it, their memories could not remain sharp enough to recall all the details of something that happened over 100 millenia ago. and even if they could, they would hardly be willing to share it with everyone.

but when they do open up, there doesn't seem to be that much discrepancy. consider silchas ruin and ryadd eleis' conversation in DoD. silchas says a few things about draconus that we find out are 100% accurate in FoD. Silchas says he came in the guise of a duke from the outer estates - check, dracons hold is at the north edge of KG. he says draconus was cold and distant, thus matching their naive notions about how a border duke would act - check. he says his seed was not tiste andii, and he seems a little horrified - check, envy and spite are horrifying creatures without a drop of tiste blood in their veins.

i could go on.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#26 User is offline   Avernite 

• Corporal

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

Smuuve, on 26 September 2012 - 08:35 PM, said:

I hold to the opinion that anything not explicitly rejected should be maintained as more likely.

Especially when FoD seems to imply the same order in age (Anomander the eldest) I see no reason to assume it's wrong. Now, if there's a quote in FoD saying the opposite you'd have valid criticism, but till then I'll assume Anomander and Andarist still knew their relative age.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users