Malazan Empire: Ben Aaronovitch - Peter Grant urban fantasy series - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ben Aaronovitch - Peter Grant urban fantasy series Rivers of London/Midnight Riot, Moon Over Soho, etc...

#81 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:54 PM

What's the question re the two girls? The two who were abducted were returned to their families and the original changeling was sent to live with Fleet and her Fae husband.
Bee girl was fascinating but fundamentally background like the fae guy Lesley was fucking or the lesser rivers.
Staffs in this series aren't Harry Potter personalized whatever, they're tools and Hugh's were damn good ones.
One year.. I loved that teaser. Anyone's guess what Faceless is up to... He has a pretty diverse portfolio to work with.
Dominic was great. In general I enjoy Aaronovich's supporting cast cops.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#82 User is offline   Starling 

• Not Docile
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 January 2015 - 04:18 AM

On that note, I would really love to see some interactions between Fleet and Real Nicole in the next book. I can see those two either butting heads spectacularly, or seeing kindred spirits in each other and getting up to all kinds of trouble.

Also, hopefully we'll see more descendants of wizards. It would be interesting to see if bee girl (Mellissa) was an anomaly, or whether the children/grandchildren of wizards and witches are different in some way. It may even just be the result of magic-users coming into contact (wink, nudge) with fae.
... a nature generally described as happy-go-fuck-yourself.

#83 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:06 AM

Am I the only one who didn't know there was a comic adaptation of this series, with original stories???
http://zenoagency.co...ndon-body-work/
http://titancomics.t...don-comic-based

#84 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:22 AM

Whaat? Apparently you are not.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#85 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:53 AM

View PostAbyss, on 08 December 2015 - 05:06 AM, said:

Am I the only one who didn't know there was a comic adaptation of this series, with original stories???
http://zenoagency.co...ndon-body-work/
http://titancomics.t...don-comic-based

It's been all over Amazon for months. Well, at least all over my recommendations/suggestions. I've yet to check them out but I'm definitely going to.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#86 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:32 PM

Just finished THE HANGING TREE earbook...

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

WHOLE PETER GRANT SERIES SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SOD WANKER LORRY GIT INNIT

SPOILERS

This may have been my favorite book of the series so far. Aaronovitch really really hits his stride here... the characters are great, the police work angle is present but not overdone, Peter's 'voice' is pretty much perfect, and the overall storyline has some interesting shifts.

Peter is starting to grow nicely as a cop and a sorcerer, and combine the two things admirably. Nightingale actually seems to let him take the lead at some times, and the whole thing with Peter actively working to modernize what the Folly does and how it does it is interesting.

Peter's relationship with Bev is mostly background, except for a key chat with Tyburne at the end, but it makes for interesting background and its nice to have a protagonist in an urban fantasy novel who isn't suffering from massive romance angst for a change.

We got two, not one but TWO fights between Peter and Leslie and both were great, albeit inconclusive, which is think is just right. This particular rivalry hasn't gone nearly far enough yet. And the revelation in the last scene about Mr Punch and Leslie is veeeeeerry interesting.

Guleed... a great example of an author bringing the supporting cast along slowly until they are a critical part of the story. Her slow incorporation into Peter's world and the Folly has been fun, and her whole attitude towards weird shit this book was a treat to read. She stole most scenes she was in, and delivered possibly the bestest headbutt in the history of urban fantasy lit. I may have cheered out loud a little. In public. I'm certain no one noticed. Much.

Molly was mostly absent but Peter's running comments about her goings on were some of the funniest moments in the book.

Nightingale, as usual, is a great presence Aaronovitch doles out in little awesome doses. We only 'see' his fighting vs Faceless via Peter's perspective which is mostly keeping his head down while shit blows up around him, but it's always great. And the Ferrari thing was perfect, fist bump and all. Especially after what happened to the Asbo.

The Faceless Man came a long way as Big Bad, at once humanized and made more dangerous. Gave him a daughter, killed her and sent him on a revenge spree, but showed the depth of his planning and resources run deeper than we've seen before. Nightingale's line 'He almost got me' was chilling.

Fascinating that Lady James could hold her own against him. The introduction of matriarchal lines of witches training their daughters (or sons or whatever Colleen was) to that level over generations could be a major game changer for the Folly.

Fun fact revealed from the author interview at the end of the earbook... Aaronovitch typically has to give his publishers a name and blurb before the book is done, and the titular Tree, which is an utterly minor part of the book at best, almost didn't make it in at all. Also explains what happened with WHISPERS and that bullshit blurb about Kim being a magic-denying Christian radical or whatever.

Relatedly, Kim's scenes were fun and fascinating, hinting at the American side of magic stuff that may become significant down the road.

So... great book in a great series. The earbook narrator was perfect.

Relatedly, it looks like the first two comic storylines BODY WORK and NIGHT WITCH, now have collected eds available. Canadian fans note the Kobo version is double the price of the Kindle/comixology version for some reason.

#87 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

New novella...

https://www.gollancz...september-2017/

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/1473222427/

#88 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

I really should get around to reading the latest book. That in between book game me blue balls after that betrayal at the end of... what ever that book with the magical building was called.

#89 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 June 2017 - 02:37 PM

View PostSeduce Goose, on 05 June 2017 - 02:25 PM, said:

I really should get around to reading the latest book. That in between book game me blue balls after that betrayal at the end of... what ever that book with the magical building was called.

Damn you're way behind and should really resume the series. Some great stuff ahead.

Notwithstanding the size, mass, and interreality-node dislocation of my TRP, i'm seriously considering the first two tpbs of the comics, BODY WORK and NIGHT WITCH.
May wait until July and get vol 3 BLACK MOULD as well.

#90 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:47 PM

I really need to read this series.

But then again I have been totally neglecting Urban fantasy lately. This and the series by Carey are the ones I need to start.

#91 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:32 PM

FREE EARBOOOKKKKKKK https://www.audible....book/B071NDRLBK

#92 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:34 PM

View PostAbyss, on 06 November 2017 - 06:32 PM, said:

Listened to this, btw. Fun.

#93 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:21 AM

Like I said in the other thread a) I love this series because of how accurately and wonderfully it portrays elements of British policing and :p I am way behind on this series. However I'm mid-Malazan reread and don't want to stop so it could be a while before I get back to it.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#94 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:23 PM

Next book: LIES SLEEPING, August 2018

Posted Image

#95 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 April 2018 - 09:10 PM

Shoutline sounds like a cool new character.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#96 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 December 2018 - 04:58 PM

Loving LIES SLEEPING... can't not post about this bit from about halfway....

Spoiler

...also, there is no number of jokes about Molly's cooking which is too many.

#97 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 May 2019 - 04:35 PM

Im reading the novella called The Furthest Station before jumping into Lies sleeping.

Theres this girl at the start of the story called Abigail that Peter Grant is teaching magic... I think. Who's she again? Don't remember her at all. Doesn't appear to be a river godling. Is she from the comics? I hate when authors mix media.

#98 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 11 May 2019 - 04:45 PM

View PostAptorian, on 11 May 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

Im reading the novella called The Furthest Station before jumping into Lies sleeping.

Theres this girl at the start of the story called Abigail that Peter Grant is teaching magic... I think. Who's she again? Don't remember her at all. Doesn't appear to be a river godling. Is she from the comics? I hate when authors mix media.

IMO Abigail is a relative/friend of the extended family who first appeared in Whispers Underground

#99 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 11 May 2019 - 04:48 PM

I feel like I read Whispers a decade ago so no wonder I dont remember her.

#100 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 May 2019 - 05:57 PM

She’s also a bigger part of the comics.
....which, btw, having now read the first five collections, I suggest are entirely worth your time and money as fans of this series.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users