Malazan Empire: Ben Aaronovitch - Peter Grant urban fantasy series - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ben Aaronovitch - Peter Grant urban fantasy series Rivers of London/Midnight Riot, Moon Over Soho, etc...

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

View PostShiara, on 22 August 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:

I plan to squeesh them with my massive heretic bulk.

Bah, we've seen you, you have no bulk, you're skinny.

Our lab mice will devour you!

Mwaahahaaaa!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

There are rats in WHISPERS UNDERGROUND, so the above discussion is entirely on topic in case anyone was wondering.

And cheese too!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#23 User is offline   Shiara 

• High Scribe of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:22 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 August 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

View PostShiara, on 22 August 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:

I plan to squeesh them with my massive heretic bulk.

Bah, we've seen you, you have no bulk, you're skinny.

Our lab mice will devour you!

Mwaahahaaaa!

Not if I devour them first! Muahahahaha!!

Totally on topic :)
*casting the shaved knuckle*

#24 User is offline   kcf 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 August 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Also, it's perhaps a frivolous complaint, but the publisher does this book an utter disservice by describing a supposed main plot point on the back cover blurb that does not, in any way whatsoever, resemble anything that happens in the story. If you're reading this book expecting a born-again christian FBI agent who considers all magic the work of the devil, don't - it doesn't happen. At all. There is an FBI agent, and she's actually a fun character, but forget about the religious stuff. Not Aaronovitch's fault at all (i assume), but an annoyance even so.

this bothered me quite a bit. I like the way it's handled in the book much better than what's implied in blurb. But the blurb majory mis-represents the content of the book.

#25 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

View Postkcf, on 29 August 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 07 August 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

Also, it's perhaps a frivolous complaint, but the publisher does this book an utter disservice by describing a supposed main plot point on the back cover blurb that does not, in any way whatsoever, resemble anything that happens in the story. If you're reading this book expecting a born-again christian FBI agent who considers all magic the work of the devil, don't - it doesn't happen. At all. There is an FBI agent, and she's actually a fun character, but forget about the religious stuff. Not Aaronovitch's fault at all (i assume), but an annoyance even so.

this bothered me quite a bit. I like the way it's handled in the book much better than what's implied in blurb. But the blurb majory mis-represents the content of the book.

I don't think i have ever seen one as bad.

#26 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

There was one book, I think it was part of the latest Star Wars sequence, whose back blurb spoiled a major event that occurred within that very book; it was like they accidentally copied the blurb text over from the next book in the series.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#27 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

So I got Whispers Underground and was greatly enjoying it, much more than the previous two, and got about two-thirds in... and then left it somewhere that wasn't home. :p :p

If it was at the German course I study I may still get it back.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#28 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

Read all three with great enjoyment thanks (yet again) to this forum. Third was weaker for all the reasons stated above, but the first two were fantastic. I liked the contrast with Dresden, and the English setting was fun. Had to look up words mostly relating to food. Seriously, do you eat stuff like kedgeree and brawn or is that just included for the nice nausea effect?

#29 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:59 AM

I finished Midnight Riot. I'd give it a solid 3 out of 5. Nice characters, charming plot/mystery, lots of goofy English slang. I think my main issue with it is that it is sooo plot-focused, it shows very little of the characters' downtime (occasionally it will seem to be doing this, only to head directly to another plot point, like the movie theater scene). So while it was strong on the "show don't tell" for the plot and supernatural elements, a lot of the relationship establishment moments were neglected or just summed up verbally by Peter. In a related complaint, the time frame is a bit choppy...and I say related because these gaps were the opportunity to inject some of these character moments into the book. For instance, there's a moment near the end when Beverly says of another character "I thought we were friends", but in no particular way was that friendship established. There's no contradiction, but no meat to it either, it's just retroactively true.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#30 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Finished _Whispers Underground_ and thought I'd mosey on over here to see what you guys are saying about this series. IMO, it's a distinct fifth place in the urban fantasy genre, behind Butcher, Griffin, Carey, and Michelle West's Elantra series (which is still urban magic, just secondary world urban).

I do enjoy the series, but not for the main plots. The larger arc is far more interesting than any of the main plots of the individual novels. The Faceless Man, Lesley's face, Peter's growing familiarity with magic and his investigations into modifying the formae, the subplots with Beverley Brook and Lady Ty -- all much more interesting than svartalf navvies, jazz vampires, Mister Punch killers et al. I guess the police procedural aspect just doesn't grab as much as Dresden's PI framework. The prose is workmanlike, rising occasionally above the mediocre but not often enough. And the call-outs to genre and geek culture aren't done as smoothly as Butcher's, and often pull me out of the narrative.

Having said all that, it's a series I'll stick with to see where it goes.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#31 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

The Rivers of London series has been optioned for TV.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#32 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 June 2013 - 04:24 PM

Huh.

I can't decide whether to react with principle-based joy or experience-based scepticism.

It's sort of like my reaction to HBO working on Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS... neat idea at a base level, but in execution, well, the DRESDEN FILES tv show pretty much says all there is to say.

#33 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:52 PM

I guess we'll know for sure when we see the casting. If they decide to whitewash Peter Grant then something will be truly amiss...
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#34 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:57 PM

View Poststone monkey, on 24 June 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

I guess we'll know for sure when we see the casting. If they decide to whitewash Peter Grant then something will be truly amiss...

Ooooooo... good point.

His ethnicity is somewhat integral to the character, but easily excised if they're not following the books too closely.

For that matter, all of the titular River avatars are black, and one of his fellow officers is a female Muslim who wears a hijab...

#35 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

To be fair, British telly doesn't exactly have a history of whitewashing or that sort of thing.

It's sort of like my reaction to HBO working on Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS... neat idea at a base level, but in execution, well, the DRESDEN FILES tv show pretty much says all there is to say.

Be fair, there's a world of difference between HBO and the Sci-Fi channel. I think one can have reasonable expectations that American Gods will be at worst pretty good. And it will change stuff, it has to, but Neil Gaiman is all-the-way involved in doing so.

#36 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:02 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 24 June 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

To be fair, British telly doesn't exactly have a history of whitewashing or that sort of thing.

True. And it's not like the books have such a wide audience as it stands now that they need to do silly things to appeal to a misperceived wider audience. It can stand/fall on its own strength.

Be fair, there's a world of difference between HBO and the Sci-Fi channel. I think one can have reasonable expectations that American Gods will be at worst pretty good. And it will change stuff, it has to, but Neil Gaiman is all-the-way involved in doing so.

You make an excellent point re HBO vs Syfy. The existance of OUAT on network suggests there is a market for these sort of shows, and the success of GoT means the genre audience is watching cable.

#37 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

If you like Rivers of London you have to read Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus novels. Like both but Jacka wins; like a cross between Dresden and Castor - the whole get beat up alot, win by attitude, smarts and creative use of magic. Thread is here:

http://forum.malazan...benedict-jacka/

#38 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostPig Iron, on 06 July 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

If you like Rivers of London you have to read Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus novels. Like both but Jacka wins; like a cross between Dresden and Castor - the whole get beat up alot, win by attitude, smarts and creative use of magic. Thread is here:

This plus Mike Carey's Felix Castor novels but the queen of London-set Urban Fantasy, an oddly enormous sub-sub-genre (though maybe not that odd coz London is uniquely suited to that sort of thing, especially among Western cities)is still Kate Griffin. I just read her latest book, The Glass God, and as usual, it's double awesome.

#39 User is offline   Pig Iron 

• First Sword

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 06 July 2013 - 05:51 PM, said:

View PostPig Iron, on 06 July 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

This plus Mike Carey's Felix Castor novels but the queen of London-set Urban Fantasy, an oddly enormous sub-sub-genre (though maybe not that odd coz London is uniquely suited to that sort of thing, especially among Western cities)is still Kate Griffin. I just read her latest book, The Glass God, and as usual, it's double awesome.

Ok nice, will order Griffin immediately. Wish Carey would write another Castor.

#40 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Two things to bear in mind on that recommendation: one is that, for a lot of people (I didn't mind myself but I've seen it a few times) it starts quite slow - Griffin's language is quite ornamental, a bit Mieville-like, and a lot of people seem to have felt she went OTT in the first few pages of the first book. Most seem to agree that this improves.

The other is that, unlike every other fantasy I've ever read, London or otherwise, where the host city is a touch homogenised for the international audience, Griffin absolutely immerses you in London, to the point where reading the book if you know the city will be a very different experience to if you don't. Not necessarily worse, but I can imagine it being something along the lines of (Mieville comparison again) reading about New Crobuzon if you haven't lived in or near the city.

She has to, though, for the way she writes magic to work. And I really do love it.

This post has been edited by polishgenius: 06 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users