• You cannot reply to this topic

Cover art & synopsis The Wurms of Blearmouth

#1 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

Art by David Gentry.

Link.

Steven Erikson's new Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novella, The Wurms of Blearmouth, follows on from where The Lees of Laughter's End left off.

This post has been edited by Jussi: 16 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

#2 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:19 AM

is that an undead cat?

what a great eerie theme it has though, perfect for Bauchelain and Korbal Broach.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#3 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:22 AM

Nice, I like it. I just wish Forge of Darkness was getting a suitable cover as well.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#4 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:01 AM

It's a lizardcat... I think?

http://www.pspublish...3%5D-1328-p.jpg

The other cover is better:
http://www.pspublish...kson-1328-p.jpg

Anyway, I ordered my copy.
#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#5 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:24 PM

Plot synopsis:

Tyranny comes in many guises, and tyrants will thrive in palaces and one room hovels, in back alleys and playgrounds. Tyrants abound on the verges of civilization, where disorder frays the rule of civil conduct, and all propriety surrenders to brutal imposition. Millions are made to kneel and yet more millions die horrible deaths in a welter of suffering and misery.

But we'll leave all that behind as we plunge into escapist fantasy of the most irrelevant kind, and in the ragged wake of the tale told in Lees of Laughter's End, our most civil adventurers, Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, along with their suitably phlegmatic manservant, Emancipor Reese, make gentle landing upon a peaceful beach, beneath a quaint village above the strand and lying at the foot of a majestic castle, and therein make acquaintance with the soft-hearted and generous folk of Spendrugle, which lies at the mouth of the Blear River and falls under the benign rule of the Lord of Wurms in his lovely keep.

Make welcome, then, to Spendrugle's memorable residents, including the man who should have stayed dead, the woman whose prayers should never have been answered, the tax collector everyone ignores, the ex-husband town militiaman who never married, the beachcomber who lives in his own beard, and the now singular lizard cat who used to be plural, and the girl who likes to pee in your lap. And of course, hovering over all, the denizen of the castle keep, Lord –

Ah, but there lies this tale, and so endeth this blurb, with one last observation: when tyrants collide, they have dinner.

And a good time is had by all.

http://www.pspublish...kson-1327-p.asp

#6 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

"...now singular lizard cat who used to be plural..." Is this, perchance, Dejim Nebrahl?
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#7 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:52 PM

if so, then he's suffered a degradation from which his ego may never recover. i can see someone calling this lizard cat precocious, or perhaps adorable. the absolute last thing dejim would ever want a human to see him as.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#8 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:29 AM

Lizard cat could also refer to The Pack from Midnight Tides.

Don't know how this would make sense as either a remnant of The Pack or Dejim, but hey, absurdity is the name of the game when it comes to B&KB.

This post has been edited by Defiance: 17 June 2012 - 01:29 AM

uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#9 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:11 AM

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 16 June 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

"...now singular lizard cat who used to be plural..." Is this, perchance, Dejim Nebrahl?

Timeline-wise, he should still be buried at this point. And The Pack was supposed to have been wiped out, no?

I don't think it will be anything like them, or another T'rohlbarahl, or whatever - those were all supposed to be ferocious and deadly. I suspect this is more likely going to be something very much like a household cat, just with scales and a long tongue :harhar:

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#10 User is offline   Black Winged Lord 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:30 AM

the beachcomber who lives in his own beard ...

Love it

#11 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Guess who just got an early read of this new novella!?! :)

Still no sign of FoD, though... :p

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#12 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

Just got this in the mail. Hopefully I enjoy it more than Crack'd Pot Trail!

#13 User is offline   Abalieno 

• Fist

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:09 AM

I hope I won't since I loved Crack'd Pot Trail, but damn, PSpublishing takes a while with the orders. Mine has yet to SHIP.
#MrSkimpole

Feed then or perish. Life is but a search for gardens and gentle refuge, and here I sit waging the sweetest war, for I shall not die while a single tale remains to be told. Even the gods must wait spellbound.
Crack'd Pot Trail

#14 User is offline   waylander001 

• Slayer

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

Got my copy on Saturday and just read the first couple pages today after pulling a sickie - looks like it's set just before we see the Two Sorcerors running around Moons Spawn in Orb,Sceptre Throne - there is passing mention of the Wreck out in the bay below the peninsula somewhere south of Elingarth. This ring true? Or is my geography way of??

Anyway looks like good form what e can see - already had me giggling like an 8 year old once or twice!!
There were clouds closed fast round the moon. And one by one, gardens died .....

#15 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Finished it yesterday and it's hilarious!

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#16 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

Just about to start it, damned work getting in the way.
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#17 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

View Postwaylander001, on 16 July 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

Got my copy on Saturday and just read the first couple pages today after pulling a sickie - looks like it's set just before we see the Two Sorcerors running around Moons Spawn in Orb,Sceptre Throne - there is passing mention of the Wreck out in the bay below the peninsula somewhere south of Elingarth. This ring true? Or is my geography way of??

Supposedly TWoB follows directly on from TLoLE. Is that correct? If so, then BF/TLoLE/TWoB would precede MoI, and the internal B&KB chronology would seem to go like this:

Blood Follows
The Lees of Laughter's End
The Wurms of Blearmouth
The Healthy Dead
Crack'd Pot Trail

(The timeline is not important.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#18 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 16 July 2012 - 09:36 PM, said:

View Postwaylander001, on 16 July 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

Supposedly TWoB follows directly on from TLoLE. Is that correct? If so, then BF/TLoLE/TWoB would precede MoI, and the internal B&KB chronology would seem to go like this:

Blood Follows
The Lees of Laughter's End
The Wurms of Blearmouth
The Healthy Dead
Crack'd Pot Trail

(The timeline is not important.)

Sounds right. I've started this book and it definitely takes place right after Lees.

#19 User is offline   pat5150 

• Soletaken

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:56 AM

My review is up on the Hotlist! :)

Patrick

#20 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

This was pretty solid. I'd still probably put Lees and the Healthy Dead ahead of it because those were more chaotic. But this one was still enjoyable and interesting.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users