Malazan Empire: Quick Question - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

Quick Question Trying not to spoil show watchers... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:43 PM

Does anyone remember when R+L=J become a known theory? Like after what book there was enough evidence for people to start considering it? Because I know there has been almost nothing about it in the tv show, but I like filling in my friends watching the show that haven't read the books things that they are missing out on.

I'd like to ask them if they've considered anything remotely like this, but I don't wanna do it way out of line, I think the theory started after the second book, but if it was the third could someone let me know?
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#2 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

to be honest the only time I ever saw that theory was when i went to the forum. I honestly cannot see anyway in the books where this comes from. Especially as the last one seems to tell a different tale so to speak.

#3 User is offline   Catherine 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:SCA<br />International Side-saddle Association<br />good books<br />the Space Channe<br />Arabian horses

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:56 AM

I don't know about the books but I was at Pennsic in 2006 and was told about this theory from another SCAer. He told me the people he discussed the books with were talking about, not sure how it came about.

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:00 PM

I think the first thing people glommed onto was in the first book when Ned talks about Lyanna and about his promise to her, and the fact that people really couldn't see Ned cheating on Catelyn and not talking about his "mother" much...this threw Jon's parentage into question.

I can't recall when it's brought up, but Rhaegar's giving Lyanna a crown of blue roses (The Winter Crown) at the Tourney at Harrenhall...I'm not sure who's POV the flashback is in.

The theory seemed to solidify in A CLASH OF KINGS when Daenerys goes into the House Of The Undying and sees a blue rose blooming through a wall of ice, thus linking her (or her family) to both Lyanna Stark and kind of to Jon Snow as well. Even then it was a tentative link, but people ran with it, and now you will find if you disagree with someone who says that R+L=J or give another reason for these hints you are outcast as stupid. Trust me, I'm on the fence about the theory and I've been read the riot act by hardcore fans about it. LOL

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'll never understand how people don't jump to this conclusion from book one. A careful reread sees evidence piling up even there.

-What did Ned promise Lyanna?
-Why does Ned, when he's thinking of all his children in the black cells, think of everyone but Jon?

There's plenty more you'll find on a careful reread of the first book. And yeah, the second book sees the punches rolling in. For me the blue rose in the Wall in the House of the Undying (the same blue rose we were bantering about in another thread) is what seals it. There is no other character in the series with whom the blue/winter roses are associated but Lyanna. No one.

I'm willing to make room for the possibility (and I think it's a remote one) that R+L=J is a big red herring and that GRRM has been fucking with us all from the get-go. (Though personally, I think all the other "hints" to Jon's parentage
Spoiler
are the real red herrings. ) One thing I really don't get though is how there are people who've read through book two and haven't at least considered it...

This post has been edited by Ceda Cicero: 12 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#6 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

View PostCeda Cicero, on 12 June 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

I'll never understand how people don't jump to this conclusion from book one. A careful reread sees evidence piling up even there.

-Why does Ned, when he's thinking of all his children in the black cells, think of everyone but Jon?

There's plenty more you'll find on a careful reread of the first book. And yeah, the second book sees the punches rolling in. For me the blue rose in the Wall in the House of the Undying (the same blue rose we were bantering about in another thread) is what seals it. There is no other character in the series with whom the blue/winter roses are associated but Lyanna. No one.

I'm willing to make room for the possibility (and I think it's a remote one) that R+L=J is a big red herring and that GRRM has been fucking with us all from the get-go. (Though personally, I think all the other "hints" to Jon's parentage
Spoiler
are the real red herrings. ) One thing I really don't get though is how there are people who've read through book two and haven't at least considered it...

I'm still holding out slim hope that Jon is actually related to Arthur Dayne. ;)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7 User is offline   Ceda Cicero 

• Ceda of Team Quick Ben

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 June 2012 - 05:28 PM, said:

Spoiler

I'm still holding out slim hope that Jon is actually related to Arthur Dayne. ;)

I'm holding out slim hope that I'm related to Arthur Dayne. Dude was badass.

View PostIlluyankas, on 07 April 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

How do you rape a cave? Do you ask, "You want to fuck, yes?" hear the echo come back, "Yes... es... es..." and get your barnacle-gouged groove on?

#8 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:43 PM

If you are arguing that the "blue rose blooming in the wall" that daenarys sees is repsentative of Jon, then in that case the blue rose must be associated with at least one character other than Lyanna - Jon. Otherwise you have to interpret it as zombie-Lyanna breaking through the Wall ;)

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#9 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

Yeah, this is basically the only ASOIAF theory I really thought of on my own; it was that obvious to me (and obviously to many others as well). However, there are not many hints at all in the show so far; most of the hints in the books have been entirely cut from the show. I'm hoping we'll get a hint next season with the story of the Tourney at Harrenhal.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#10 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:42 AM

Spoiler

So here is a basis for the rumors.

This post has been edited by Brujah: 13 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#11 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:44 AM

Although I always thought that Jon could just as easily be a Dayne instead.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#12 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:08 AM

Yah, I think it's pretty clear Howland Reed is being held back until the TRUTH needs to come out. He's the one it's gotta come from.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, so many possibilities.
Spoiler

Crazy.

This post has been edited by Brujah: 13 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

- Maynard James Keenan

#14 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:39 PM

Brujah, I would advise you to spoiler that enormous ADWD spoiler you have there in post #10.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#15 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:17 PM

OK thank you.

- Maynard James Keenan

#16 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

Still don't see it in the books how anyone can be 100% certain that this is the case..... stranger things have happened in worlds where honorable men do dishonorable things.... and if people like looking into things in the books and jumping to conclusions ... well hows about when Rob Stark dissed his proposed marriage that led to him taking another wife and the red wedding occuring...

#17 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:44 AM

You obviously can't be a 100% certain, but there are some substansial hints to be found.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users