Malazan Empire: Finding out your ideas are not as original as you first thought - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Finding out your ideas are not as original as you first thought

#21 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:41 AM

View PostMaark, on 17 February 2015 - 08:35 PM, said:

Revisiting this thread, the main challenge I found with one of my races was this:

Original incarnation - created circa 2003 - blue skinned, tribal people, living in the forest, not dissimilar from cats.
- Saw Avatar. FUCK. *bin*

They've retained the blue skin and tribal nature, but have since become partially elemental (of which there is an in-book term that describes those of elemental heritage, which I'm not going to drop just yet), and the majority featured within the story have survived or been born after a pogrom that's seen them relegated to slums, drugs and prostitution (sort of like Dragon Age' city elves).

Read any Stover? Blue elves in slums, drugs, and prostitution.

This post has been edited by Gnaw: 18 February 2015 - 04:42 AM

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#22 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:53 AM

Never heard of Stover. But these fellows aren't elves, at any rate. Analogous to them, perhaps, but only in a peripheral way such as the Tiste are.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#23 User is offline   paradanmellow 

• Unaligned Card
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:art, psychology, potatoes
  • walking the shores of lake Azur

Posted 18 January 2016 - 03:39 PM

View PostApt, on 27 May 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

While we are at it, anyone have any advice for books or movies about dreams that I should probably watch or read before I make a fool of myself?

I've skimmed through what was said here and most (if not all) recommendations are for fiction. Have you thought about dreams in a more scientific way? Jung has a very interesting and hands-on perspective on the dream world, succeeding imo at tying it to 'reality' in a most useful manner, both on day to day basis and artistically.
There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

#24 User is online   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:12 PM

It's been years since I worked on this script but yeah, I did think about dreams in a scientific and historical fashion. There's a lot concepts that I wanted to work in, like the manifestation of surpressed memories, emotions, stimuli, etc. The principal bad guy was going to be an middle eastern version of the European "Mare" that gives the name to nightmares.

#25 User is offline   paradanmellow 

• Unaligned Card

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:03 AM

View PostApt, on 18 January 2016 - 04:12 PM, said:

It's been years since I worked on this script but yeah, I did think about dreams in a scientific and historical fashion. There's a lot concepts that I wanted to work in, like the manifestation of surpressed memories, emotions, stimuli, etc. The principal bad guy was going to be an middle eastern version of the European "Mare" that gives the name to nightmares.

Looking up "Mare" I'm surprised to see its origin is spread allover the place! Everyone wanted a piece of it.
According to Jung (maybe Freud too, I wouldn't know) nightmares are actually useful, showing you what needs to be worked on. Lol, this leaves us with no bad guys really. I am optimistic that being bad is only temporary. What would the hero do if he or she had nothing to overcome? :)

#26 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:06 AM

Take up fishing.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#27 User is offline   paradanmellow 

• Unaligned Card

Posted 19 January 2016 - 03:25 PM

Indeed, Kruppe would have said, imagine the challenges of that unimaginative yet worthy profession!

#28 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:37 AM

I use the term 'sceptre' as an honorary term synonymous with 'king' in Purge of Ashes and for similar terms such as 'sceptredom' and 'heart-of-the-sceptre' etc. I began using the term roughly around 2003.

Then this random dude named Steven Erikson keeps writing books and Dust of Dreams comes out: Sceptre Irkullas. I even have a 'Sceptre Cullas' which sounds similar, a similarity I just noticed now. THANKS A LOT, APT!

Can't sweat it. Happened to my old Futurama spec script too when I wanted to be a cartoon writer - some of my ideas overlapped with the writers for one of the DVD movies.

Right now I believe I have a very unique take on the 'section at the start of a chapter' staple for high fantasy. I am somewhat scared to find out if anyone has ever done it before, and frankly I don't want to know. My book is being released April 5th either way and knowing will just lower morale. What matters is if the desired effect is achieved.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#29 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:30 PM

If it involves winds not being a beginning... :hrhr:
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic