Playing with ideas Topper vs Cowl etc.

#1 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

Soooo....I've finally worked something up.

I owe MTS a pic of Topper fighting Cowl (in the imperial warren I s'pose). Heres what I sketched out the other day.

Attached File  TOPPER VS COWL4.jpg (66.69K)
Number of downloads: 10

It needs LOTS of work. I'd like to get your opinions on the setting and the characterization of both Topper and Cowl. There is a question of warrens employed and ages of the respective individuals. should we be seeing grey hair? What am I missing?
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#2 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

Very nice and great choice of scene to depict!

Physical description-wise, I think Cowl gets a good description early in RotCG
Spoiler

but I can't look it up for you 'cause my RotCG is in a box somewhere. I seem to recall he has some characteristic scars. I don't think he would look old, as he is a mage of considerable skill, plus he's Avowed, plus you have to stay in shape to be an assassin-mage!

Topper:

"The figure – a man by his height – was swathed in shades of green: cloaked, hooded, wearing a faded tunic and linen leggings above green dyed leather boots. A single long-knife, the weapon of choice among Seven Cities warriors, was slung through a thin belt. The man’s hands, faintly grey in the afternoon light, glittered with rings, rings on every finger, above and below the knuckles
[...]
His face was long, the skin a lighter shade of grey, the eyes dark and strangely angled. He looked to be in his early thirties, though his hair was white."

and also he's pretty tall.

Though in his Tatterdemalion/Rag-man guise he may look quite different, beyond just the ragged silks for clothing.

Weapons-wise, both seem to use long-knives and Cowl I believe had throwing knives at some point.

Warrens-wise, Topper definitely favours Rashan/Kurald Galain so voids, waves and tendrils would certainly be the way to go.

Cowl's magic seems to be most heavily favouring a lot of moving in-and-out of warrens (Topper being equally capable of this, too, though), as well as being undetectable (visually, orally and by magic sensors) and being able to pierce through all sorts of defensive wards and barriers. You could show this by having one of his weapons glowing with magic as it cuts through a wave of magic or a ward of Topper's. Cowl also hurled some projectile attacks against Silanah, so he's certainly capable of that, too.

Setting-wise, the part that I really like about the Topper-Cowl duel is how Possum muses that they'll be constantly jumping in and out of all sorts of warrens as they fight - Claws and other assassins pop out of one warren to ambush all the time, but Cowl and Topper seem uniquely capable of constantly shifting warren every few seconds to try and get the drop on each other and it's a very neat idea. I think you should try to include that, if you can - something like Cowl stepping from warren A into warren B, and Topper from warren B into warren C, mid-fight and with open portals showing other worlds beyond. Might be really hard to do, but totally worth it...

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#3 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:15 AM

I'll admit, I had totally forgotten asking for this, but it's just made my day, and looks great so far. :)

As for Cowl, here's what I could find description-wise in ROTCG:

The lead one Kyle knew for Cowl, hatchet-faced, bearing blue curled tattoos at his chin and a thatching of pearly knife-scars at his neck.

Cowl relaxed, let his hands fall from the crossed baldrics and belts beneath his cloak.

Topper:

The other, Topper, stepped into view: long tangled white hair, dark-faced, clothes hanging rags. But his eyes! Angular and bright like lamps.

Here's a description of the first part of their fight, with more description of Topper in it as well:

He threw himself sideways but not quickly enough as a new figure appeared, leaping from a Warren to lash out, kicking him in his side, sending him tumbling down into the blast crater. This new figure launched himself after, scarecrow thin, tattered clothes flapping, his long white hair a dirty tangle. He leapt upon Cowl and the two slashed at each other, dirt and dust billowing in a blur of shifting feet, rolls, sweeps, grips attempted and broken, and throws.

A kick from Cowl sent the other flying backwards, but in the air an arm snapped forward and a thin blade slammed into the Guard assassin. He gestured, disappeared into a Warren and the other, landing cat-like on his feet, white hair flying, waved to disappear as well.

So their fighting style is fairly similar, consisting of leaping from cover with projectile weapons, knife-thrusts and Warren blasts. D'rek's idea sounds like a brilliant way to incorporate that. :)
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

It seems like topper has almost andiian features. Is there a connection? The white hair and grey skin is very odd.

Drek! You wonderful wonderful human being you! What an idea! Im thinking of having topper leaping back into meanas while topper sidesteps out of rashan...or something. Might be a bit obvious though.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostDolmen+, on 25 May 2012 - 10:27 AM, said:

It seems like topper has almost andiian features. Is there a connection? The white hair and grey skin is very odd.

Topper is half-Andii (or is it a quarter Andii?), so yes!

Drek! You wonderful wonderful human being you! What an idea!

Aww thanks!

Im thinking of having topper leaping back into meanas while topper sidesteps out of rashan...or something. Might be a bit obvious though.

^^you said Topper twice. Then again, I'm sure he could make a double of himself with Meanas... :)

I think Topper coming out of a dark-void-like portal to Rashan/Galain and Cowl leaping back into a portal to the jungles of Tellan or fiery Telas/Thyr/Kurald Thyrllan would be a good contrast, especially if set in the plain grey Imperial Warren!

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6 User is offline   LaymanK 

• Recruit
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens
  • Interests:Game Design
    Music
    Ballroom & Latin Dance

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

I like it. DO you have any interest in contributing some art to the Malazan Card Game?

http://www.cheekydin...-card-game.html

Let me know if you do. DO you have other samples of your work somewhere online?
Layman Kingsford

#7 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

@ Drek: Yeah I said topper twice indeed. Damn. But I agree, a rashan vs thyr image would really resonate well with the battle of the two.

I'll post up a mock up 2mrw evening. Oooooh the ideas are flowing!

@ laymanK: my work is all over the show actually. Have a look in the gallary or on deviantart under shadaan. Plenty of malaz related stuff up already. Can't commit much time to your project though, well not rightt now anyways, Sorry.

#8 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

OK!

Slight mix up with my USB's....This is a draft back from where I'm at.

Attached File  TOPPER VS COWL6-3.jpg (141.16K)
Number of downloads: 2

I currently have fiery Thyrr (with a sun?) behind cowl and a curly tattoo on his chin. Topper is emerging
from a black tentacle leftover of rashan holding a levitating ball of darkness.

I have no clue what to do with the imperial warren. I remember no description of a light source in it. as
it is it seems pretty bland.

This post has been edited by Dolmen+: 26 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

#9 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

That's just a draft?! :)

Also, Dolmen, you work really really fast! Very impressed!

View PostDolmen+, on 26 May 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

I have no clue what to do with the imperial warren. I remember no description of a light source in it. as
it is it seems pretty bland.

Yeah, I don't remember any mention of lighting in it, either - I think the whole warren is just always at about a dusky light level, with no clear source. Cowl's open warren could be adding a sort of spotlight effect shining on it, though.

As for the bland, litter the ground with sinkholes and piles of bones, perhaps? And/or hide a few skykeeps in the background :)

#10 User is offline   Seiko 

• Pretentious Plebeian

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

Wow. Looking good.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

That new one is obscene.
Seriously. Damn you and all your fucking talent for that. fuck.

My only comment is that from the angle of his head Topper doesn't seem to be looking at Cowl.
And if you wanted, you could add a thin knife sticking out of Cowl somewhere to reflect the fight in the book.

But seriously, fuck.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

I absoloutely love this. Am i completely offbase on Thyr having 3 suns? Can't place the reference, anyway having Thyr with a sun definitely fits. Agreed with d'rek, I don't think the imperial warren has a light source, in fact it's specifically described as dark when Kalam and Minala enter, dusky level of light seems right, the largly featureless wasteland you've got looks very similar to how I imagine the imperial warren.

#13 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:55 AM

thyr, or perhaps more accurately kurald thyrllan, seems to have a lot of suns.

DoD spoilers:
Spoiler

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#14 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

hah, glad to get so much feed back on this one. Its quickly becoming a favourite for me. Im currently working up on d'reks advice.

I have gotten rid of the sun in the imperial warren, added a tiny sun to thyr.

@ abyss: you're right, topper seems to be looking to the right. The angle is quite funky but i'll play around with it, see if i can get it right.

#15 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:46 AM

I'd like to think this is the finished article but I'm gonna run it through a few critics to see what I can tune up...

See if you can spot the dragons and the skykeeps :lol:

Attached File  TOPPER VS COWL6-5 (reduced).JPG (125.49K)
Number of downloads: 1

#16 User is offline   Isa 

• Fist

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

I spy both dragons and skykeeps. Looks awesome, Dolmen. It's probably just a coincidence but the red of Cowl's warren looks a bit like curled wings :lol:

This post has been edited by Isolde: 30 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

#17 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

This looks far too awesome, hugely impressed.

#18 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:35 AM

Awesome

#19 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

Blown away. Why don't you design our Malazan covers?
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#20 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Holy craparoo, Dolman! You've seriously levelled up your skills lately...this is fantastic!

My only crit would be that the light from Thyr should affect the picture as a whole a bit more. And Cowl should be more brightly lit, with a hard edge-light or halo of sorts, due to the suns at his back. I would also consider adding some colour to your shadows, some blues and purples maybe, and maybe add some glow to the warren portal...
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users