Malazan Empire: (Non-spoilerish) mentions of GoT in popular media, etc. - Malazan Empire

• 3 Pages +

(Non-spoilerish) mentions of GoT in popular media, etc. I can't believe this thread doesn't exist already... Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

From Pats Fantasy Hotlist:

http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com.au/

GRRM vs Rex Ryan

George R. R. Martin is a big New York Jets fan. He recently spoke out against the Darrelle Revis trade in a blog post, as he is wont to do when the Giants or the Jets make what he considers a bad move. What's different this time is that Rex Ryan, the Jets' head coach and fan of the Game of Thrones TV series, responded publicly via the ESPN Playbook:

Dear George R.R. Martin:

I saw your blog post about the Jets and our trade of Darrelle Revis.

I’m glad you are a fan of the Jets, but I think you should stick to your field of expertise. But you decided to put on your football hat, so let me take this opportunity to tell you all the many problems with your “Game of Thrones.” I am a fan of the show, as you are a fan of the Jets, but it has some major flaws.

Trades

You gripe about our trade of Darrelle Revis to the Buccaneers in exchange for the 13th overall pick and a conditional pick in 2014. You write: “It is never a good idea to trade the best player on your team.”

All due respect, sir, but you are the last person in the world who knows anything about realistic trades. In the latest episode of “Game of Thrones,” Daenerys Targaryen trades her biggest and strongest dragon for 8,000 slave soldiers. Eight THOUSAND.

And you’re trying to tell us what a fair trade is? Come on. Revis may not be a dragon, but he is our best and he couldn’t net anything close to that kind of return. You’ve been creating fantasy worlds for so long, you’re now living in one.

If only it stopped there.

After the trade is made, Targaryen gets her Revis right back because it burns its new master up with a belch of fire. Seriously?

I guess you think this is a good trade. Getting 8,000 soldiers in exchange for nothing. You probably think we should have traded Revis for Josh Freeman, Doug Martin, Vincent Jackson, Lavonte David, Ronde Barber and all of Tampa Bay’s draft picks for the next 10 years … only to then command Revis to destroy the Buccaneers and come right back to the Jets a minute later. Yeah, that would be nice. But sorry, guy, the NFL is not fantasyland. Please don’t try to tell us about trades again until you have some credibility on the subject.

Man-Woman Relationships

I get that you want the relationship between Stannis Baratheon and Melisandre to seem strange and uncomfortable. But you could do better. A relationship between a man and a woman can get all kinds of freaky. You have no idea. Trust me on this. You haven’t even scratched the surface. It’s like you’re not trying. Oh, and Melisandre is supposed to be all mysterious because she makes a ton of prophecies? Whoop-dee-damn-do. So do I. But at least I take some risks with my prophecies. I doubt your Melisandre believes in herself enough to say the Jets will win the Super Bowl. And, sure, I’ve never given birth to a shadow demon, but something almost as terrible comes out of me after I eat Taco Bell. My point is this: Step up your game.

Brothers

All of the brothers in your show seem to hate each other or at least have major rivalry issues. The Lannisters. The Starks. The Baratheons. Again, not realistic. I have a brother. A twin brother, in fact. We like to compete against each other, but at the end of the day, we just want to kick back with a few beers and shoot the s---, not each other. This is a real brother relationship. House Ryan, lords of awesome.

Storylines

How many seasons are you planning to draw this thing out? You realize you wouldn’t have this luxury in the NFL, right? The pressure is constant, and people demand immediate results. Some of your storylines are taking longer to develop than Mark Sanchez. That's not good.

The People North of the Wall

I don’t know what you’re going for here, but I don’t think it’s working. Is it some kind of metaphor? When most people I know think of people from the north, they think of the Buffalo Bills. And there’s nothing scary about them. “Winter is coming.” Great! That means two free wins because you get to play the Bills.

Look, I’m a fan of “Game of Thrones.” But you ripped my Jets, so I came back at you. Fair is fair. No one is perfect. Well, except, it seems, Arya Stark. Let’s develop her character a little better, OK? Everyone has flaws. Even Tim Tebow has flaws, as I well know.

All of these problems aside, I plan to keep watching, just as I hope you’ll keep rooting on the New York Jets.

Sincerely,

Rex Ryan

P.S. You modeled King Joffrey after Tom Brady, right? Whiny, petulant and cowardly. Nailed it!
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#22 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:57 AM

Game of Game of Thrones

#23 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:25 PM

Added for the sake of completeness. Do not watch. People should have to pass some sort of remedial comedy test before being allowed to post their skit online. On the plus side, at least it's shorter than School of Thrones, so you will waste a smaller portion of your life not laughing.

I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#24 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

LONG! But at least it's professional comedy...

#25 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

Overdue...S2 spoilers, obviously:

More slapping:

#26 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:47 PM

S1 + 2 spoilers, sort of:

#27 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

#28 User is offline   Agraba 

• Emperor

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:18 AM

I thought this was funny
Posted Image

Also:
Posted Image

#29 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:59 AM

lol. check out the game of thrones birthday rap on youtube. that one's good too.

#30 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:38 AM

#31 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:22 AM

There's a Canadian black metal/glacier metal/post-rock duo called Skagos that is pretty decent (when they occasionally do the cookie monster vocals it's fairly buried in the mix, so that's a plus). I don't think any of their lyrics are ASOIAF-related though. But they're from Vancouver Island, so the name Skagos is kinda funny.

(Warning: 2/3 into the song there is, unfortunately, a spoken word section).

There must be more bands/songs out there with ASOIAF connections. Besides the parodies I mean.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#32 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:39 AM

Epic: The True Iron Throne

Posted Image

#33 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:20 PM

Just blowing on the embers a little. Enjoy.

#34 User is offline   Jakovasaurus 

• Emperor

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:56 AM

#35 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

Posted Image

Awesome Art We've Found Around The Net: Game of Thrones Edition

#36 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:20 AM

I thought I had put this up here before but obviously in a different thread. An amusing (I thought) song referencing the glacial pace at which the last few books have been released.

DINOSAUR FEATHERS - Please, please, George

This post has been edited by Binder of Demons: 17 April 2014 - 04:14 AM

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#37 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

Goats Screaming the Game of Thrones Theme Song

#38 User is offline   Rictus 

• Captain

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:42 PM

Well, one of the new classics, yes?

#39 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:07 PM

#40 User is offline   Catherine 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:SCA<br />International Side-saddle Association<br />good books<br />the Space Channe<br />Arabian horses

Posted 04 June 2015 - 03:36 PM

not sure if it has already been mentioned but someone on my facebook posted a video of Jon Snow at a dinner party that is just a hoot, sorry I don't have the attachment but maybe someone can help me out, thanks C

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users