• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

my Malazan sketchies

#21 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

Nerd-request for Toraneko: I seem to recall you saying you were also an ASOIAF fan... I keep hoping to see a "my Game Of Thrones sketchies" thread. Do such sketchies exist, and if so, howsabout posting those too?

May your Malazan life be filled with much rep.
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#22 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:12 AM

You should look into two things: anatomy and, uh, racial differences. Anatomy because never mind what style you use, if the forshortening looks off it just looks off. And the other thing.. Well, the malazan world is full of diverse ethnicities (damn, is that a word?) and I personally would never have seen Kalam in your last pic, as he is, if translated into our world, 'african', but your image screams 'western/european'. Same goes for Coltaine, who is probably asian/native something looking. Also, age differences..

Well, sorry if I sound condescending, I usually try to avoid sticking my nose into other people's art, but if you want to do graphic novels, character recognition should be spot on.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#23 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

View PostKruppe, on 18 May 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

Nerd-request for Toraneko: I seem to recall you saying you were also an ASOIAF fan... I keep hoping to see a "my Game Of Thrones sketchies" thread. Do such sketchies exist, and if so, howsabout posting those too?

May your Malazan life be filled with much rep.

Thank you. :3 I figured since this is a Malazan forum I won't post them, but here's a link to my ASOIAF gallery on DA, or if you're feeling adventurous you can trawl through my art tag on Tumblr. Curse me for having no foresight to tag all that art under its own tag, but I'll do that when I have time during the holidays.

View PostPuck, on 19 May 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

You should look into two things: anatomy and, uh, racial differences. Anatomy because never mind what style you use, if the forshortening looks off it just looks off. And the other thing.. Well, the malazan world is full of diverse ethnicities (damn, is that a word?) and I personally would never have seen Kalam in your last pic, as he is, if translated into our world, 'african', but your image screams 'western/european'. Same goes for Coltaine, who is probably asian/native something looking. Also, age differences..

Well, sorry if I sound condescending, I usually try to avoid sticking my nose into other people's art, but if you want to do graphic novels, character recognition should be spot on.

Oh trust me, I am quite aware of these problems in my art. Of course it is one thing to be aware of your weaknesses and quite another to have it pointed out. I do draw rough construction skeletons before doing the sketch for real, but obviously they may not be altogether correct, just correct in my own perception. If you could redline anything you think is wrong, that would actually help greatly.

And it is hard to be really spot on with character recognition, since there is such scant description of most characters, and really, everyone who reads through the books will have a different reading of them depending on what they do or do not pick up on. Eg. I did not believe Quick Ben was bald until I saw the official art. And yes, I do trawl through encyclopaediamalazica to make sure I get all the details right. It's just that sometimes some descriptions may not be added or they may not even exist at all. So that makes my job much harder.

I'm breaking for winter in about two weeks, so I think it'll be time to crack my knuckles and do some hardcore art study. Despite appearances I do not study art at university, so any improvement I make I have to make on my own time. It's been nearly a year and a half since my style changed to be less "animu" purely to be more recognisable. But that's enough of my rambling...

Posted Image
Toc the younger and one of Lady Envy's wolf/dogs. For a moment there I thought he might get with her but then he ran off... ;_;

Posted Image
I know you guys don't look too well upon animu type things here, but honestly the Seguleh read to me like masked ninjas, especially after my bf read me that Seguleh duel scene in the start of OST. (which I am not up to yet so please no spoilers)

Posted Image
Apsalar in Raraku. We don't really get much description of what a telaba looks like, so this is just what I imagine them to be. (apologies if it has been explained or likened to a real life item)
~ toranekostudios.tumblr.com ~
Stress causes baldness but if you pay too much attention to keeping your stress levels down
it'll stress you out even more so there's really nothing we can do about it after all.

#24 User is offline   Dolmen 2.0 

• is probably lying
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:Walks in the park.

Waiting till jean gets here.

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

Ok im gonna be critical here purely to weigh in with puck and hopefully help you just as many many others have helped me. Analogy time!

If you were a chef you'd be the type that kicks ass at three signature dishes. Artistcly i'd say those dishes are expression, poise and imagination. These show you have talent, you just need more style diversity to bolster your characterisation.

Challenge yourself. Sketch out roman and greek statues, try use colour without lines. Try Greyscaling everything or sketch directly from photoes. Read art tuts from conceptart.org or imaginefx.com. After you have tried and tested all these new ideas you'll be a better artist, much like a chef with more recipes.

I'd advise start with trying to eliminate a few lines from existing work then try use lighting to suggest the lines you eliminate. Personaly i like your style, but i do believe you have the potential to take it much further. you have free time coming up and the entire internet to learn from.
“Behind this mask there is more than just flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea... and ideas are bulletproof Gas-Fireproof.”

#25 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

I did some speedpainting as a reward for doing a lot of schoolwork today.

Posted Image
Ganoes, obviously.
Stress causes baldness but if you pay too much attention to keeping your stress levels down
it'll stress you out even more so there's really nothing we can do about it after all.

#26 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

I think my previous response to this thread may have been interpreted wrongly (by way of an angry PM :)) - so, to be clear, it is obvious that you have artistic talent, a skill which I am mightily jealous of. So when I say that I wish you would expend it in other ways, I'm not saying that I don't want you to tackle the Malazan material, I'm saying I would like you to tackle it in another way. There will never be a Malazan anime or cartoon of any description - Steve is not fond of the medium and is the ultimate decision-maker.

Further to Puck (my star-crossed lover) 's observation, there needs to be a sense of realism. Dolmen is a fine example of someone who started out with very cartoony images and has adapted his style to fit the Malazan material much much better. I would listen to his advice.

Also, I'll take this opportunity to point something out about Puck's work, because she's FUCKING AMAZING! - anyway, she was the only one, including professionals, to envisage the Tiste Edur as having Native American features - The Edur were inspired by the native people of North America so that is eminently appropriate, thematically appropriate if you like, even if it doesn't make book sense - it makes style sense. Steve's thought process was like 'what if, instead of getting annihilated, what if the people of the Black Hills had a secret weapon and won? - what then?' Anyway - total aside, apologies. Also, Puck is awesome <3

#27 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

I finally had some time today to sit down and draw this, a scene in DG which I've been wanting to panel since I read it but had no time until now.

Posted Image

#28 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

Posted Image
The tail seemed like a logical addition - design-wise anyway - since she's so top heavy.

Posted Image
Omtose Phellack?

This post has been edited by Toraneko: 17 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

#29 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

don't like the cartoony style too much, but this is some good stuff. You clearly have talent... I really like Moby and the rhizan, your style fit them very well :D
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#31 User is offline   Nocturnal 

• Rabid fangirl

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:46 PM

View PostToraneko, on 17 June 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

Posted Image
The tail seemed like a logical addition - design-wise anyway - since she's so top heavy.

I love this! I could never get a good image of the demons from the books in my head, but this Aptorian is something I will definitely remember. My first impression of her was something like Gohma from Ocarina of time, (here) lol.

This post has been edited by Nocturnal: 28 June 2012 - 11:47 PM

"Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat."

#32 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Heyo! Haven't been here in a while, but been a busy busy bee.

Posted Image
I'm working on this for an asoiaf related contest, but figured it would fit a Malazan character too.

#33 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

wow, even rough as it is, you can really tell you've been working hard. your skills have definitely improved, the anatomy of the face is much more natural. so who do you think that could be in aSoIaF/MBotF?

ser jorah immediately comes to mind for me.

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 28 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#34 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 28 September 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

wow, even rough as it is, you can really tell you've been working hard. your skills have definitely improved, the anatomy of the face is much more natural. so who do you think that could be in aSoIaF/MBotF?

ser jorah immediately comes to mind for me.

Thank you. :D It's actually a 3d sculpture, and I ended up winning the contest I was making it for. It is meant to be Barristan Selmy, but in terms of Malazan, I would make it out to be Dujek.

I've been extremely busy with a school project the last few months (which I'm happy to report has been quite successful) and a convention, holidays and commission work subsequently after. Hasn't left me a whole lot of time to read, so I'm still halfway through Bonehunters...

Anyway, I've recently improved my painting method, so I whipped up a quick Gruntle.
Posted Image
Compared to the last picture of Gruntle I drew... hahaha

Here's a bunch of other stuff I did in the interim, in my "bad" toony style
http://24.media.tumb...dyfl1o1_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumb...dyfl1o1_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumb...dyfl1o2_500.jpg

And bonus silliness:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Toraneko: 11 January 2013 - 04:59 AM

#35 User is offline   Sibylle 

• Recruit

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

I like your work, as always! And of course the Rake made me laugh :D hehe

I dont really know what to see in this: http://24.media.tumb...dyfl1o1_500.jpg
What is the thing against her face?
shop.RalphHuijgen.nl

#36 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

A chef's hat, obviou it's a cloth, Whiskeyjack's cleaning Korlat's face. I like it, Toraneko, it is a little cartoony for my tastes but you got some talent there. Also Mal you grumpy misanthropic bastard, if you didn't want fanart of all artistic styles you should have told Steve to never publish ever.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#37 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Dude I don't give a fuck what people think your shit is GREAT. I love the cartoony stuff. Keep up the amazing work. Illustration can be utilized many ways and I like the sympathy that your innocent looking Disney-esque people inspire. We can't all be pre-Raphaelites.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#38 User is offline   Sibylle 

• Recruit

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

aaaah ofcourse its a cloth! :D Now I see it and can't unsee lol :D

And as far as I can remember Toraneko IS actually making a living out of drawing, right?
shop.RalphHuijgen.nl

#39 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

Thanks guys. :veryangry:

View PostSibylle, on 28 January 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

And as far as I can remember Toraneko IS actually making a living out of drawing, right?

I am. It's not super big time or anything, just personal artwork for people that want it, but they still pay me to do it. Once I graduate obviously I'll be looking for full time work in the industry.

I haven't been doing much Malazan fanart, to my great and utter disappointment. Having a full (and growing) list of commissions does that to you.

Here's something I did yesterday. It's not Malazan but I really like it so far.
Posted Image

#40 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

After posting that reply I felt like drawing some Malazan stuff :V Random demons, random marines, random eleint.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users