Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vampire + Malazan

#1 User is offline   mcobb83 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

I have often thought that running a Vampire game in the Malazan setting would be amazing, and I feel like the system lends itself well to the world. You have a scale of power that ranges from infant to god; magic; rules for shapechaging already exist; and many more benefits that seem to me to make Vampire an excellent system to try running a game in.

So the short of it is, I'd like to put something together. But I want to guage interest first. Anyone interested in playing Vampire in a Malazan setting? Once I see how many think it might work out, then I will release setting info and house rules to fill gaps.

#2 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:02 AM

can you elaborate?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3 User is offline   mcobb83 

• Recruit

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:33 AM

View PostMentalist, on 16 April 2012 - 03:02 AM, said:

can you elaborate?

Well, I haven't got much of a plot worked out yet, though there are some ideas. The story would be pre- TCG; the Crippled God would still be trying to build armies of mortal followers (similar to Pannion, the Edur under Rhulad, or any number of other factions influenced by him) presumably for the purpose of liberating himself from his condition of being used as a battery by other gods. Who would make better servants for the CG than Vampires? They exist in perpetual chains to both vitae and sunlight, they are capable of great power, and oculd have the ability to produce exactly what the CG needs.

I propose that using the Dark Ages ruleset, with a few modifications (for example, I find Generation to be a little unwieldy for the extremely long history given the Malazan world. Instead we would use the Blood Potency rules from New World of Darkness) it would be possible to roleplay in a world that is perfect for vampires. It has rich cultural and political histories, is overflowing with supernatural creatures like Tiste, Soletaken/D'ivers, Demons, Mages, Dragons...the list goes on and on. In fact, Vampires are almost missing from the world setting.

The characters would all be starting power. Freebies would be limited. The way I prefer to run games is to offer a plot line, but to allow players to persue their own interests. Plot events would happen regardless of players actions unless those actions would invariably preclude a plot event from happening. I will provide hooks tp engage players and set the stage, but I prefer not to say "your quest is now to retrieve the thingy from the mean man", but rather to give the players a good reason why their characters would want to retrieve that thingy.

#4 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:42 AM

to clarify, we're talking the White Wolf Vampire RPG here, correct?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#5 User is offline   mcobb83 

• Recruit

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Yes.

#6 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:23 AM

I've always said the 2nd Ed Mage: the Ascension rules were tailor-made for the Malazan magic system. 4th Ed Shadowrun isn't doing too bad for us in our tabletop game at the moment either.

Not too sure about Vampire though ... on the other hand, there is the constant obsession with blood.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7 User is offline   mcobb83 

• Recruit

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:56 AM

I suppose it would be better to say instead the White Wolf system in general. If you think about it, the system can handle anything that the world requires.

For example- you're dealing with Seguleh, and more specifically, a ranked Seguleh, which means that something like Melee 3 and Dex 3 aren't going to cut it. More likely you"ll give Melee 5 and Dex 4 (if not 5), but even that isn't as deadly as a Seguleh. So you add in a Seguleh 'discipline' for combat. Maybe 1 dot is gets an extra roll on a 9 or a 10. Maybe dot 2 is gets +1 to hit a vital spot. Maybe 3 dots is +2 damage when a vital is hit. Maybe 4 dots is gets a bonus for all melee combat. Anyway, the list could go on an on. The point is that the White Wolf system exists in 2 parts - the basic framework that governs all characters of all types (basic stats, skill sets, dice rules, etc), and the malleable framework that forms to fit he need (disciplines, merits, or what have you). I've played Vampire specifically for several years in 2 fantasy settings and 3 modern settings and it lends itself well to pretty much everything that comes up.

This post has been edited by mcobb83: 02 June 2012 - 03:56 AM

#8 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:45 AM

What is this place? What kind of games are you talking about? Talking about RPing out games, and using the old Table Top dice system to score hits and whatnot?

lol

Pretty ingenious. I'll play. Where are the rules?
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#9 User is offline   mcobb83 

• Recruit

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:45 AM

Are you familiar with the White Wolf system? If yes, are you more familiar with Old World rules or New World rules?

#10 User is offline   Roldom 

• Great Wizzard of High House Naughtiness

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

I would love to play one of these games but I have no experience with them what so ever :rolleyes:
I did not like the catfish... - Karsa Orlong

The best detox is retox - drunken co-worker

#11 User is offline   mcobb83 

• Recruit

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

View PostRoldom, on 25 August 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

I would love to play one of these games but I have no experience with them what so ever :rolleyes:

Experience isn't a huge problem. I've taught lots of people how to play. I am still willing to run the game, but I'd like to have 3 or 4 people wanting to play first.

#12 User is offline   Azathmaster 

• Rewinder of High House Mafia
  • First Survivor in the Survivors' Guild

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

I'll play
"To victory! It feels unfamiliar, but it tastes like chicken"

#13 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

I shall play.
No experience whatsoever

This post has been edited by EmperorMagus: 25 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#14 User is offline   mcobb83 

• Recruit

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:15 AM

Looks like we actually have a few players. This thread was so dead that I thought we'd never get anyone.

I am also confronted with several players who have 0 experience playing, so I pose a few options that would make the game easier and more enjoyable.

Typically the game is played with a vampire character (not a sparkly twilight vampire, but something more similar to the Underworld vampires), but I propose using human/near human characters, as it means I'd have to describe less of the game system. I also propose using a drastically simplified version of the system, which is essentially reduced to free-form game play supported by abbreviated combat profiles.

By now you are all reading blah blah blah blah, so in interest of simplicity, what I am saying is: more playing, less system to learn.

Thoughts?

#15 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

View Postmcobb83, on 28 August 2012 - 03:15 AM, said:

Looks like we actually have a few players.  This thread was so dead that I thought we'd never get anyone.

I am also confronted with several players who have 0 experience playing, so I pose a few options that would make the game easier and more enjoyable.

Typically the game is played with a vampire character (not a sparkly twilight vampire, but something more similar to the Underworld vampires), but I propose using human/near human characters, as it means I'd have to describe less of the game system.  I also propose using a drastically simplified version of the system, which is essentially reduced to free-form game play supported by abbreviated combat profiles.

By now you are all reading blah blah blah blah, so in interest of simplicity, what I am saying is: more playing, less system to learn.

Thoughts?

I think this is a good idea .

Brujah is running one such RP on Pen Island right now . (although it has been dead for a couple of weeks now)

We  have weapons and dice and a story that Brujah directs. And It was working out nicely.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users