• You cannot reply to this topic

Cover art! The Forge of Darkness

#41 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

View Postamphibian, on 25 May 2012 - 11:06 PM, said:

View PostHiddenOne, on 25 May 2012 - 09:04 PM, said:

perhaps my kid will make me a crayon drawing to use as a dust cover, she likes dinosaurs

Do you think she can do something like a jhorligg or another Kurald Galain type monster?

I think Erikson would be tickled pink to see that cover image.

afraid not, she's 3, my sarcasm font must be broken - her gifts do not lie in the area of visual art so far, but she really does like dinosaurs. However, I'm sure her drawing skills will develop before the end of the Epic Series of Doom, so I won't give up hope (and neither should you) of a fancy custom cover perhaps signed by the artist

This post has been edited by HiddenOne: 26 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#42 User is offline   BlackMoranthofDoom 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:gaming, watching movies, listening to metal

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

It's allright, but I still think the one with the sword is better.

#43 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:44 AM

Don't tell me the US and the UK are getting mediocre covers! How am I going to get good looking cover art now?
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#44 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:05 AM

View PostHiddenOne, on 26 May 2012 - 02:26 PM, said:

afraid not, she's 3, my sarcasm font must be broken - her gifts do not lie in the area of visual art so far, but she really does like dinosaurs. However, I'm sure her drawing skills will develop before the end of the Epic Series of Doom, so I won't give up hope (and neither should you) of a fancy custom cover perhaps signed by the artist

The very fact that she is three and willing to draw cool monsters (much like I did at the same age) is awesome. Maybe you can guide her to a jhorligg some ways down the line.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#45 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:05 AM

I just want to see what she can do after being told 'draw a dinosaur with swords for hands'. Especially if it's a stegosaurus or something.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#46 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 28 May 2012 - 04:05 AM, said:

I just want to see what she can do after being told 'draw a dinosaur with swords for hands'. Especially if it's a stegosaurus or something.

she is well versed in the ways of the dino and knows the stego is a 4 leg walker and so would protest - her top choice of dinos is now the T. Rex (obvious reasons) which would work best conceptually imo.

kids are awesome
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#47 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Oh god yes, a huge hulking carnivore with two little daggers waving uselessly in front of it, YOU HAVE TO DO THIS
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#48 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 28 May 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

Oh god yes, a huge hulking carnivore with two little daggers waving uselessly in front of it, YOU HAVE TO DO THIS

Seconded. extra karma if it's pink.

The new cover looks weirdly Celtic.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#49 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

Indeed it does.

Any news on when a prologue might appear? For this or B and B?

#50 User is offline   waylander001 

• Slayer

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostJean-Claude Van tiam, on 28 May 2012 - 06:23 PM, said:

Indeed it does.

Any news on when a prologue might appear? For this or B and B?

Still nothing - both Pat (Pats Blogg) and kfc (Neth space) have asked but got no reply back on early copies or excerpts
There were clouds closed fast round the moon. And one by one, gardens died .....

#51 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

View PostDefiance, on 28 May 2012 - 01:44 AM, said:

Don't tell me the US and the UK are getting mediocre covers! How am I going to get good looking cover art now?

Make the cover art yourself...problem solved!
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#52 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

That new cover is the very definition of 'meh blandness'. It's trying to be so hard to be uncontroversial that it's just devoid of any sort of connection with the material within, just a symbolic nod to the old MBotF helmet banners.

It's clearly intended to sell the book by reminding people of what else SE wrote. But that is pretty much the stupidest thing they could do. At this point, anyone who read and liked MBotF is highly likely to buy this one anyway, they don't need reminding that it's by the same author. But a cover should be attracting NEW interest, not the old interest.

This cover is not going to attract any new readers - which is what its job should be - because new readers will obviously not get the connection.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#53 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

I don't disagree with the notion that these two covers aren't wholly exciting, but I also don't think they're big turn-offs either. They're not cartoony, for one thing -- and even now that's still a departure from most fantasy covers, including top-tier stuff like previous Malazan titles, Mistborn, and even some pretty common versions of ASOIAF. So just avoiding that plague is a plus.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#54 User is offline   Toraneko 

• destroyer of worlds

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

Now I feel like I missed out, because the image on the original post is gone.
Looks terribly generic... Kind of reminds me of the Orcs cover too.
~ toranekostudios.tumblr.com ~
Stress causes baldness but if you pay too much attention to keeping your stress levels down
it'll stress you out even more so there's really nothing we can do about it after all.

#55 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

View PostToraneko, on 01 June 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

Now I feel like I missed out, because the image on the original post is gone.

Google is your friend!
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#56 User is offline   Jussi 

• Sergeant

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:29 PM

Here is a larger image of the new cover:

http://pubimages.ran...id=0593062175-1

#57 User is offline   K'Chain Bull'shite 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

generic, but not terrible.
I'd rather have enemies than acquaintances that I'm not sure about. I'd rather take you as an enemy, defeat your arguments and make you a friend that way. Fuck compromise.

#58 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

I don't like it. I don't feel like that conveys the culture of the Tiste Andii at all. Why not the three brothers? Or Mother Dark and Father Light? BOOOOOOOO.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#59 User is offline   Deragoth 

• Lieutenant

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:49 PM

this cover is horribad, therefore the book must also be horribad :p

#60 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:10 AM

aw come now, weren't you ever taught not to judge a cook by his lover? i mean uhh... you know what i mean.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users