#61 User is offline   Overactive Imagination 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:36 AM

View Postthatoneguy, on 12 June 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

View PostBrujah, on 12 June 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

View Postthatoneguy, on 13 May 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

Felisin.......followed by Heboric.

I really hate to disagree here, but I have to in the case of Fesilin. I just think Fesilin was such a horrible character all around. But could you elaborate what you liked about her? I feel that if she would have made the changes she made WITHOUT being possessed by The Whirlwind, then MAYBE I could give her a LITTLE credit. But I really can't even put her on a list of best characters that was 100 places long, much less place her above the likes of Kalam, Coltaine, Fiddler....

Sorry.

Well for some reason i seemed to enjoy reading about her and Heborics journey the most out of the book. I kind of like how cruel she was and that she turned into what she did i though it was a good transformation,but thats just my opinion.

Yeah I really like Felisin too. She was the first character in the book I really cared about.

Spoilers all books

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Overactive Imagination: 20 March 2014 - 01:41 AM

#62 User is offline   kempster 

• Recruit
  • Interests:SciFi/Fantasy, Sports, Politics, some gaming and of course Calvin and Hobbes.

Posted 01 June 2014 - 08:17 AM

I really liked Gesler and Stormy.

Although he was only in the book for a tiny bit........ I really felt horrible for Squint when he finished Coltaine.

The answer to the question of the OP....... Coltaine. Definitely.

MEMORIES OF ICE SPOILER MODGODDED OUT OF EXISTENCE.
Paradise belonged to the innocent. Which was why it was and would ever remain … empty. And that is what makes it a paradise.

#63 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

Yeah those are some pretty cool choices.

That said, please don't post MOI info in the Deadhouse Gates forum.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#64 User is offline   ToctheMiddle 

• Recruit

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

Duiker...After this novel he became one of my favorite Malazan characters of them all.

#65 User is offline   Tru 

• Sergeant

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:08 AM

I think mine was Fiddler. He really came into his own as a major role player in this one. In Gardens of the Moon he was merely a role player, and to me just wasn't much of a standout, but I really began to like his character much more in this one. I think He and then Kalam's storyline were the ones I looked forward to reading the most.

#66 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:10 AM

Fiddler is my favourite character throughout the series so gets honourable mention, but solely this book? Duiker, probably. Most of the Wickans run him a close second though.

Whilst not a favourite as such, Mappo should get a mention for being such a constant source of emotional wreckage.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 19 November 2014 - 08:12 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#67 User is offline   Fiddler 

• Fiddler

Posted 30 November 2014 - 05:07 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 19 November 2014 - 08:10 AM, said:

Fiddler is my favourite character throughout the series so gets honourable mention, but solely this book? Duiker, probably. Most of the Wickans run him a close second though.

Whilst not a favourite as such, Mappo should get a mention for being such a constant source of emotional wreckage.

I feel the love. I'm also my favorite character, however in this book I'd have to say that Coltaine is the man.

#68 User is offline   Enders 

• Recruit

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:17 PM

Newcomer to the series that's only read the first two, but, so far, Duiker definitely. Coltaine was a badass and the conclusion to his arc was magnificient and epic, totally making up for the many previous slow parts. However, Kalam was also badass so i can't say Coltain was unique in that. Therefore, I'd have to go with Duiker because his perspective works so well with the Malazan series in that it's a overview of a massive world with tons of things going on at any given moment while also fixating on a few select characters and sympathize with them even when it's hard to and you shouldn't. Perfect world for a historian like Duiker. His perspective was the best, in my opinion. The philosophical musings of Duiker were also some of the high points of the book for me.

#69 User is offline   Excidius 

• Eighteenth Level Initiate
  • Interests:Prog Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Muse, Medieval History [1000 - 1200], Video Gaming, Comic Books, Creative Writing.
  • Call me Ex, if you will. Thanks.

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:24 PM

Top 5 favourites in no particular order:

Duiker
Captain Lull
Ragstopper's Captain
Spoiler

Panek
Kalam

Panek might seem a bit of an odd choice, but throw Apt in there with him.

#70 User is offline   Nerevar 

• Recruit

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:03 PM

I'm a big fan of Heboric. I think I had just read the first novel of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant at the time, and Heboric's situation and character seemed to have a few tonal reverberations of Covenant. Once again a startlingly inventive original character, a memorable and stark portrayal of an ex-priest, from the mutilation of his excommunication to the tattoos covering him and their significance.

I love Icarium and Mappo even more though. On one level they have such a fragile, human story - one person who is eternally forgiving and supportive, another who is childlike in their innocence of what they have done and are capable of. It is a wonderfully written friendship that is really inspiring. On another level, the undercurrent of ancient tragedy and the mystery surrounding Icarium makes this yet another sublimely original high fantasy concept from SE.

#71 User is offline   Ascendant Gesler 

• Recruit

Posted 29 July 2015 - 12:47 PM

Hey guys so I just finished reading deadhouse gates for the first time and I have to say it's Duiker hands down.His character really resonated with me even at the end I was mentally defying the fact that he was dead, when heboric saw him, Gesler and stormy were looking for him I had so much hope. His death was one of the most moving things I've ever read, to have come all that way and then to die at the whims of a mad coward.
I'm surprised to see a lot of people here saying Felisin, pre-Sha'ik I found her intolerable especially because I liked kulp and baudin so much, there were a lot of moments when I just though, oh my god just shut up, if you wanna die just stay here and stop being a bitch! Having said that, when she met Leoman and the Toblokai she completely switched in my mind. Hate Felisin. Love Sha'ik reborn. I'm really looking forward to seeing her and the adjunct Tavore face off against each other later in the series.
And yeah Iskaral Pust was great! I still don't know if I like him as much as Kruppe, but then, that's a hard bar to reach :(
Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place and stand there now in every moment of our lives.

#72 User is offline   Redhawk 

• Recruit

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:27 PM

My top five characters:

Coltaine
Icarium
Fiddler
Gesler
Kalam

#73 User is offline   Potsherd 

• Recruit

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:35 PM

Kalam. Gesler, Truth & Stormy. Mappo. Apsalar. Felisin & Heboric. Fiddler's Horse. A Wickan sense of humor.

#74 User is offline   Kasrith 

• Recruit

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:16 AM

View PostZenstrive, on 12 March 2012 - 03:59 AM, said:

Duiker is bad ass historian worthy of being remembered.

Duiker said:

The named soldier—dead, melted wax ~ demands a response among the living… a response no-one can make. Names are no comfort, they're a call to answer the unanswerable. Why did she die, not him? Why do the survivors remain anonymous—as if cursed—while the dead are revered? Why do we cling to what we lose while we ignore what we still hold?
Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.

#75 User is offline   Not Noto 

• Corporal

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

Really like the little warlocks.

1. Sormo
2. Nil & Nether
3. Apsalar

#76 User is offline   Joyful Onion 

• Recruit

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:44 AM

For some reason I got really attached to Kulp and Boudin.

#77 User is offline   Citravaghra 

• Recruit

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

Any D'ivers. Most are insane, or driven insane by the Path throughout the book, but I'm rooting for them.

#78 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 05 June 2017 - 08:24 PM

DG is crawling with great characters. 150 pages to go in my re-read and those pages won't see the morning.

Coltaine is still alive atm, so I won't include him here today. Tomorrow I will probably feel differently.

Duiker, for all the reasons listed above. Heboric, for what he is in DG and for what is to come.

Felesin - Felesin takes a lot of heat here on these forums, and I suppose for good reason. But she is a pampered 14-year-old who is suddenly thrust into situations as bad as any the world has to offer. Who among us (at any age) would fare better? It's easy for me in my relative comfort to judge her, but there, but for the grace of the gods, go I.

-----

Honorable Mention:

Spoiler

What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#79 User is offline   Not Noto 

• Corporal

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:51 AM

View PostKruppe of Darujhistan, on 05 June 2017 - 08:24 PM, said:

DG is crawling with great characters. 150 pages to go in my re-read and those pages won't see the morning.

Coltaine is still alive atm, so I won't include him here today. Tomorrow I will probably feel differently.

Duiker, for all the reasons listed above. Heboric, for what he is in DG and for what is to come.

Felesin - Felesin takes a lot of heat here on these forums, and I suppose for good reason. But she is a pampered 14-year-old who is suddenly thrust into situations as bad as any the world has to offer. Who among us (at any age) would fare better? It's easy for me in my relative comfort to judge her, but there, but for the grace of the gods, go I.

-----

Honorable Mention:

Spoiler

It is.
Spoiler

#80 User is offline   animext 

• Recruit

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:28 AM

Trying to pick a favourite character in this chapter, as well as any other Malazan book is tricky - Erickson really focuses on the story/surroundings more so than the hapless victims he tosses into the mix.

That being said, I would pick Mappo and Heboric as my favourites, with Duiker a close contender. It's difficult to see who Duiker really is on a personal level, whereas Heboric and Mappo pretty much have their souls laid bare.

I would have liked to have seen more development of Baudin's character in this chapter, a backstory undoubtedly rich and intriguing.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users