• You cannot reply to this topic

Favorite Character of DG

#21 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:38 AM

View Postthatoneguy, on 13 May 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

Felisin.......followed by Heboric.

I really hate to disagree here, but I have to in the case of Fesilin. I just think Fesilin was such a horrible character all around. But could you elaborate what you liked about her? I feel that if she would have made the changes she made WITHOUT being possessed by The Whirlwind, then MAYBE I could give her a LITTLE credit. But I really can't even put her on a list of best characters that was 100 places long, much less place her above the likes of Kalam, Coltaine, Fiddler....

Sorry.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#22 User is offline   thatoneguy 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

View PostBrujah, on 12 June 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

I really hate to disagree here, but I have to in the case of Fesilin. I just think Fesilin was such a horrible character all around. But could you elaborate what you liked about her? I feel that if she would have made the changes she made WITHOUT being possessed by The Whirlwind, then MAYBE I could give her a LITTLE credit. But I really can't even put her on a list of best characters that was 100 places long, much less place her above the likes of Kalam, Coltaine, Fiddler....

Sorry.

Well for some reason i seemed to enjoy reading about her and Heborics journey the most out of the book. I kind of like how cruel she was and that she turned into what she did i though it was a good transformation,but thats just my opinion.

#23 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

View Postthatoneguy, on 12 June 2012 - 10:02 AM, said:

View PostBrujah, on 12 June 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

Sorry.

Well for some reason i seemed to enjoy reading about her and Heborics journey the most out of the book. I kind of like how cruel she was and that she turned into what she did i though it was a good transformation,but thats just my opinion.

Fair enough. That works for me. If reading about Heboric and Fesilin is what you liked best, then more power to you. It's about being entertained, after all. In fact I didn't mean to imply anything negative. There can be no wrong answer when it comes to opninions. Glad you enjoyed it.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#24 User is offline   Azathmaster 

• Rewinder of High House Mafia
  • First Survivor in the Survivors' Guild

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:10 AM

I'd have to say my favorites are Duiker and Coltaine and Bult and Lull who got his face bashed in. Along with list. But top 2 are Duiker and Lull because of the dialogue between the two and their thoughts and actions. Coltaine and Bult are great and all, but Bult isn't delved into very deeply, and Coltaine is too godly to be my favorite character. List's death made me sad though. He got his moment of glory though.
"To victory! It feels unfamiliar, but it tastes like chicken"

#25 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:16 AM

It's hard to speak of this without referring to examples of other characters in latter books, but I thought Felisin was a great character. I don't like her, but I enjoyed reading about her because I found her to be incredibly human. Something that I think Erikson does great is character development; too often in fantasy is change sudden and irreversible. A character comes to a realization, and after that they are changed forever, with no contradictions in their actions and no relapses to old attitudes.

As for my favorite character, it's hard to pick. Overall, though, I agree with Worrywort.

Iskaral Pust was a great addition to the series, and I've always been much more found of him than Kruppe. Iskaral is my kind of diabolical crazy, I guess.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#26 User is offline   The dancing game 

• Lopside
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Everything.
  • weofnioreg343ewnrdkvc m32410--d/z.

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:52 AM

Hmmmm, perhaps Baudin, he was the criminal, the Talon, correct? I enjoyed his steadfastness and loyalty, especially that he did not have to explain the nobility of his cause, as well as the fact that he did what was necessary to survive. He was functional and pragmatic, and stubborn as granite.
Or Fiddler. I always loved Fiddler, really...I feel a special connection to sappers, just because I can relate to the moment of beautiful insanity that comes as something goes 'Boom.'...Its magical, f*cking magical. He wasn't much of a thinker though at this point in the story.
The first one to kill themselves loses.

#27 User is offline   Nocturnal 

• Rabid fangirl

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

View PostBrujah, on 12 June 2012 - 06:33 AM, said:

I have a hard time seperating the story into various books. So I may be wrong as to if Im thinking about the right book, but I liked that guy List.

It was List, right? He was the one who ended up carrying the 7 Cities banner next to Coltaine at the very end. He was also the soldier who kept messing up, and he also didn't have to be up there next to Coltaine at the end. In fact, he had the chance to leave with Dukier and go into Aren. Now I'm hoping I remembered correctly, and hoping I have the right book. I'm also saying List just to call out someone who's yet to be mentioned. All the above are awesome characters, but List is one of the characters that Erikson uses to fuel the emotion of the story.

Slightly off topic, but what happened to List (I always thought his original name was Scroll btw, since I read the Serbian version of the book)? Anyway, I can only remember him vanishing from the plot after Duiker went to Aren first.
"Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat."

#28 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

I think that List was the standard bearer at Coltaine's Fall, and thus was slaughtered by Korbolo's army.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#29 User is offline   The dancing game 

• Lopside
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Everything.
  • weofnioreg343ewnrdkvc m32410--d/z.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

He was indeed. The young Wickan, he was.
The first one to kill themselves loses.

#30 User is offline   yuna_anomander25 

• sapper elite red coat
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen,
    Dresden Files,
    The Hunger Games
    Anime,

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:16 PM

my favorites in Deadhouse Gates:
Coltaine - a very sacrificing guy, 'nuff said
Icarium - really want to know much of his past adventures even those without Mappo
Duiker - humble and the witness for all that happened in the Chain of dogs
Heboric - mysterious,
It's not who I am underneath.. but what i do that defines me - Batman, Batman Begins; 'Without our deaths, sir, there would be no crime. Thus, no punishment to match,' 'Mortal Sword - '
'We are done, my friend. Now, in this manner, we choose the meaning of our deaths' - Mortal Sword Brukhalian to Veteran Nilbanas, siege of Capustan
'Ippen shinde miru (want to try dying this once) ?' - Jigoku Shoujo (Hell Girl)

#31 User is offline   Dream Theater 

• Corporal

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:23 AM

I think Coltain.

And, like Brujah, I am not trying to troll or stir crap up. But I find that I utterly hate most all of Felisin's scenes. I do not particularly like any of the characters that appear in her scenes either. I've read to book 5 before and I will not give any spoilers but needless to say, we see some more of Felisin and every time I rolled around to her scenes I thought they were a little boring, I really did not like the characters much....but with all that negativity I WANT to like them and I...wont say much but I'm interested to see where it all goes.

#32 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:28 AM

you're correct. list was also haunted by a jaghut ghost of mysterious identity.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#33 User is offline   Numbstrike 

• Recruit

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Kalam and Apt! I always enjoyed Kalam's character, and I loved how the Aptorian demon followed him around. At some times, it seemed like Apt was almost Kalam's personal familiar.

Icarium and Mappo are my second favorites; they and their connection with each other just appealed to me as very likable.

I'm surprised that no one had mentioned Apt before me, by the way.

Oh, and to the user Dream Theater, awesome name - DT is my favorite band! :wallbash:

This post has been edited by Arathyn Falconshadow: 06 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

"That's the thing about magic; you've got to know it's still here, all around us, or it just stays invisible for you."

#34 User is offline   lastname 

• Lieutenant

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:33 PM

Duiker (what an awesome choice of a POV by SE), Coltaine, Bult, Minala. Gosh this is a hard list to make for some reason.

#35 User is offline   Araxen 

• Recruit

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:55 AM

1. Mappo and 2. Icarium, I can't get enough of these two. It felt like they got so few lines the book. I prefer them to the Chain of Dogs arc.

I felt so bad for Icarium at the end of the book when he can't remember anything. Sigh...I've really fallen in love with those two. Such a great friendship but such a hard position Mappo is in.

#36 User is offline   OberynM 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Fantasy,anime,history,JAPAN:))

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

Mappo ..the trell was i think the most complete character...perhaps besides felsin...but she was iritating at times .the thoughts tormenting him ,hope that the journey would never end,his caring for icarium,strength...awesome

This post has been edited by OberynM: 13 October 2012 - 05:17 PM

#37 User is offline   ulaid imass 

• imass bonecaster
  • all mens souls are immortal but the souls of the rightious are
    immortal and divine.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:04 PM

baudin the bad ass talon, felisn and ghost hands wouldnt have made it without him. another is the wickan clans big respect for the foolish dog weasle and crow clans
best horse warriors in books.

#38 User is offline   Bantato 

• A Fly on the Wall

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Icarium
I don't know why, but when I think of awesome characters my mind goes to two people
Anomander Rake (not in DG)
and Icarium
Banana + Potato = Bantato

#39 User is offline   Fafnir 

• Recruit

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

I am currently on my second reread of DG and I am surprised by how much I love Baudin. Maybe it is because I just finished the chapter last night where Gryllen eats his face off and he dies in Felisins arms. Once you realize he did everything he did to protect somebody who didn't deserve it, it gets right at you. Then to die in her arms, I had to hold back a few tears.

#40 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

Once you realize he did everything to protect somebody who didn't deserve it, you're an a-hole.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users