Malazan Empire: Question About Tog and Fanderay Mortal Sword - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Question About Tog and Fanderay Mortal Sword Possible Spoiler if you haven't finished TB

#1 User is offline   Slaythe 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

Can Krughava and Toc both be their Mortal Swords? What's going on with that?

This post has been edited by Slaythe: 22 February 2012 - 03:29 PM

#2 User is offline   Slaythe 

• Recruit

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

Why does my post just say can? Is this post going to say Why?

Only one way to find out...

#3 User is offline   Slaythe 

• Recruit

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

Can there be more than one mortal sword for Tog and Fanderey or any Ascendant?

#4 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

in this case i'd say yes as there are two of them ... i.e same as war has two sides... .though possibly there are three sides... .your side vs my side vs its impact on those not involved...... kind of like there would be three for high house truth.. .your side my side and the real truth which is often somewhere in the middle ;o)

#5 User is offline   Drae 

• Recruit

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

I think often times the more structured cults have a "mortal sword" (or really any of the 3) that isn't really the Mortal Sword as sanctioned by the god, but rather a title or rank; while there's a second guy running around who is the true sanctioned mortal sword.

I think it's dependent on the P.o.V.; some random cultist may believe the head of his order is a mortal sword; but that may not be true.

Like if there was a cult of treach, the head of that cult may be called a mortal sword, when in reality it is Gruntle.

Also, is the MS, SA, & Destriant permanent roles, or due they flop around ala deck of dragons cards? I'm inclined to think they can flop back and forth, and similar to the deck it may be different on each continent?

#6 User is offline   Silk 

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:31 PM

My understanding is that the real roles are fixed for life so to speak.... or until a point where you walk away from it or drown....

There are examples in later books that come to mind especially with regards to Feners cult and his MS/D/SA

#7 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

As far as we know there can only be one "sanctioned" Mortal Sword, Shield Anvil and Destriant per god. Meaning they have actual contact with the god and the gods power. In the case of Togg and Fancy there are two gods on the throne of war and so they get two of each.

How ever there's is nothing stopping people from claiming to be a MS, SA or Dest. Just like a cult can claim to represent a god even though said god wants nothing to do with them.

#8 User is offline   Slaythe 

• Recruit

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:58 AM

Thanks for all of the replies.

I was guessing maybe that Toc represents Togg because iirc, he was in his dreams and such. Also they have similar names...

Maybe Kru-dog is Fanny's MS and that she is a female is a bonus coincidence.

Lol my posts keep getting cropped by some kind of auto edit.Posted Image

This post has been edited by Slaythe: 23 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

#9 User is offline   DragniRake 

• Recruit

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:23 AM

Agreed, @slaythe. I was going to suggest that perhaps they are two different mortal swords for two different gods, who act as one in their dominion over the best hold. Krughava and Fanderay, and TA and Togg
'You, sapper,' the Barghast said, 'are the scum beneath a pebble in a stream running through a field of sickly pigs.'Trotts- MOI

#10 User is offline   Silk 

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:40 AM

hmmmmm...... good thoughts.....
Spoiler

#11 User is offline   Slaythe 

• Recruit

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

I just started RG so I better not check the Spoilers.

While I was reading TB and Kruv-dog showed up as the MS it just had me wondering if something happened to Toc. It's been a looong while since he's been a POV.

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostSilk, on 23 February 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

hmmmmm...... good thoughts.....
Spoiler

It showed up in HoC.

That demon is connected to the House of War as a guardian. Like Greyfrog is now meant to protect Kurald Liosan.

This post has been edited by Aptorius: 23 February 2012 - 02:57 PM

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

The Enkara'al in a T3 body was named as 'Champion' in HoC, which is not the same thing as Mortal Sword. Champion is a role in a 'House', as is Soldier, Knight, Reaver, etc etc.

Also, notice that Togg and Fancytail are male and female, and as of TB, the Grey Swords and Grey Helms have opposite gender MS, SA and Destriants - not a coincidence.

That said, back in HoC someone identifies Karsa as both Champion AND Mortal Sword of the House of Chains and the Chained God.

Ultimately, I'd speculate that a god can have as many invested mortals as they want, provided they are willing to risk the related vulnerability. In MoI Hood made Talamanadas the 'Magi' of HHDeath, and QB used that link to bind him. Fener suffered a huge loss of power from the deaths of his Grey Sword cultists, incuding MS and Destriant.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#14 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 05 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

I read posts and facts are thrown all over the place and things get all wonky, and then Abyss comes, with cat like reflexes, and cleans up all the mess and clears errything up, all nice and good. What a kick ass forum, and what kick ass contributors. The world of Malaz satisfies in so many ways.

Carry on, my wayward sons.
Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

#15 User is offline   12davargo 

• Recruit

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:37 PM

They are two gods so wouldn't it make sense for them too fill 2 of each role?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users