• You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#12821 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 September 2021 - 06:29 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 24 September 2021 - 02:08 PM, said:

https://www.newsweek...-margin-1632304

Hah, Trump's buddies in the Ninja audit revealed that Trump is, in fact, an even bigger loser than previously thought.

'Audit spokesman[:] "It's not the final report, but it's close."'

Official final report apparently hasn't been released yet (was supposed to have been released over an hour and a half ago), so still time for them to change it to try to get the results they want... if not, wonder how Trump supporters will try to 'rationalize' this (Arizona audit was infiltrated? actually being run by Antifa/China? lizard people demon sperm magic?).

'Trump said he had heard the findings were "far different than that being reported by the Fake News Media," and that it had "uncovered significant and undeniable evidence of FRAUD!"
"Huge findings in Arizona! However, the Fake News Media is already trying to 'call it' again for Biden before actually looking at the facts—just like they did in November!" Trump said in a statement.'
https://www.newsweek...-margin-1632304

#12822 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 27 September 2021 - 05:34 PM

I’m not surprised. You realize this still doesn’t change the big lie?
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#12823 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 27 September 2021 - 06:53 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 27 September 2021 - 05:34 PM, said:

I'm not surprised. You realize this still doesn't change the big lie?

'Trump Continues to Lie About Election Fraud Even After the Arizona Audit

[...] "We won at the Arizona forensic audit yesterday at a level that you wouldn't believe," Trump told a rally in Georgia, adding: "They had headlines that Biden wins in Arizona, when they know it's not true. He didn't win in Arizona. He lost in Arizona based on the forensic audit."

Trump reinforced his speech in Georgia with a blizzard of statements and emails to supporters referencing the audit findings and claiming that the report showed there were "enough fraudulent votes, mystery votes, and fake votes to change the outcome of the election 4 or 5 times over."

This is entirely inaccurate. The partisan recount found that Trump lost Maricopa County to Joe Biden by 45,469 votes, a margin of victory that is 360 votes wider than the official certified results.

"Truth is truth, numbers are numbers," Arizona Senate President Karen Fann, the Republican who instigated the recount, said at a Senate hearing [...]

[...] Trump continued his weekend push to undermine democracy in a wildly unhinged interview on the right-wing outlet One America News Network. As well as baselessly claiming that even Fox News was part of a conspiracy to steal the election from him, Trump grimly warned that unless new voter restriction laws are passed, the country "would not survive this."

[...] State Sen. Wendy Rogers, one of the biggest supporters of the audit and its associated conspiracy theories, posted a non-stop barrage of messages falsely claiming Trump won, criticizing the media for covering the findings of the report, and once again calling for the election to be decertified.'

https://www.vice.com...a-audit-results

#12824 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 September 2021 - 10:24 PM

Why must America play politics with the debt ceiling. I feel like if they don’t get a handle on this game soon it’s only a matter of time before they drop the ball for real.

The debt ceiling is also something that is clearly very poorly understood by most Americans and yet neither side seems interested in really explaining it.

#12825 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 September 2021 - 10:44 PM

View PostCause, on 27 September 2021 - 10:24 PM, said:

Why must America play politics with the debt ceiling. I feel like if they don’t get a handle on this game soon it’s only a matter of time before they drop the ball for real.

The debt ceiling is also something that is clearly very poorly understood by most Americans and yet neither side seems interested in really explaining it.

Oh please. The 'Debt Ceiling' is a silly term used by Republicans to try to screw with Democrats. It's literally just paying the minimum payment on our loans.

The whole fucking thing should be scrapped and we should require bills to be funded when put in place instead of just kicking the can down the road.

This absolutely isn't a 'both sides' thing, when was the last time the GOP was in charge of the presidency/congress and they didn't raise the debt ceiling without an issue? (here is a hint - it was raised twice without a peep the four years Trump was president).
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#12826 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 28 September 2021 - 04:41 AM

Not funding the government and not raising the debt ceiling so america doesn’t default…

That’s just it, how does anyone see this as a bad thing. It’s not even a question that it must happen.

#12827 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 September 2021 - 05:13 PM

'How Joe Biden could end the debt ceiling — all by himself

Minting the trillion-dollar coin, the 14th Amendment, and other ways to finally kill the debt ceiling.

[...]

The obvious solution[...] would be for Democrats to use the budget reconciliation process to eliminate the debt ceiling with a majority vote in the Senate. That path faces myriad procedural obstacles, though, and unless Congress moves decisively toward pursuing it, the Biden administration needs to start thinking about backup options.

Some of these options might seem unacceptably extreme. But an absurd crisis calls for absurd solutions. The Biden administration should, if Republicans in the Senate continue to promise a filibuster of a debt ceiling increase, unilaterally abolish the ceiling using executive powers.

There are at least four available to President Joe Biden, each with their own advantages and disadvantages:

Minting super-high-value coins to fund the government
Invoking the 14th Amendment to nullify the debt ceiling
Issuing more debt as the "least illegal" option available to the Treasury
Creating a new class of bond to fund the government while it cannot issue Treasury bonds

Each of these actions would effectively make the debt ceiling law a dead letter. Congress (or a minority thereof) would no longer be able to threaten default as a means of extracting concessions from the president, and the single biggest source of inter-branch conflict in the federal government would cease to exist.'

https://www.vox.com/...biden-democrats

#12828 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 30 September 2021 - 11:02 PM

I've been off the grid all day, so what's the latest? Is the govt. going to shut down?

#12829 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 October 2021 - 03:09 AM

I think it would be more stimulating for discussion if you googled that question yourself and then came back and posted a good link to what you read, saw or heard.

That way we have something concrete to discuss and those of us who aren't checking in on US regularly have a way of following along.

#12830 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 01 October 2021 - 05:29 AM

View PostAptorian, on 01 October 2021 - 03:09 AM, said:

I think it would be more stimulating for discussion if you googled that question yourself and then came back and posted a good link to what you read, saw or heard.

That way we have something concrete to discuss and those of us who aren't checking in on US regularly have a way of following along.

judging by the shadows the tree outside my window is casting, i believe the govt shut down

#12831 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 01 October 2021 - 07:10 AM

Have you remembered to water it with the blood of patriots?

#12832 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 03 October 2021 - 06:04 PM

Tangentially Covid related, but it's also a policy issue, I suppose...

But...

https://www.axios.co...3f52acdd1a.html

Jesus fuck...
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12833 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 October 2021 - 06:55 PM

View PostPrimateus, on 03 October 2021 - 06:04 PM, said:

Tangentially Covid related, but it's also a policy issue, I suppose...

But...

https://www.axios.co...3f52acdd1a.html

Jesus fuck...

Also remember: 'The 13th Amendment outlawed slavery "except as a punishment for crime."'

https://www.washingt...ons-juneteenth/

'All U.S. state prison systems and the federal system have some form of penal labor, although inmates are paid for their labor in most states (usually amounting to less than $1 per hour). ... Additionally, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and South Carolina allowed unpaid labor for at least some jobs.'

https://en.wikipedia...41%20per%20hour).&text=Additionally%2C%20Alabama%2C%20Florida%2C%20Mississippi,for%20at%20least%20some%20jobs.

'Free Alabama Movement called for a statewide work strike on all prison labor, which it wrote "amounts to slavery." It also called for a boycott of prison services companies that profit off the exploitation of incarcerated peoples' families through price gouging, "made possible through their monopoly contracts with the government." [...]

An average full-time worker incarcerated in Alabama prisons may make $40 per month, according to Swift, then the funds often quickly circulate back into the Alabama Department of Corrections (ADOC) price-gouging commissary.'

https://truthout.org...-prison-strike/

#12834 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 03 October 2021 - 09:23 PM

That's okay, according to the Bible slavery is allowed.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12835 User is offline   Not-So-Great-Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 15 October 2021 - 03:42 AM

Texas school official says classrooms with books on Holocaust must offer ‘opposing’ views
https://www.theguard...-race-southlake
So the U.S. education system, or perhaps the legal system, shows its prowess again.

#12836 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 15 October 2021 - 03:56 PM

View PostNot-So-Great-Raven, on 15 October 2021 - 03:42 AM, said:

Texas school official says classrooms with books on Holocaust must offer ‘opposing’ views
https://www.theguard...-race-southlake
So the U.S. education system, or perhaps the legal system, shows its prowess again.

Maybe I’m being generous but I get the impression she was being sarcastic to point out how stupid the Texas law is.

#12837 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 October 2021 - 10:31 PM

You have too much faith in humanity.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#12838 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 16 October 2021 - 12:25 AM

View PostGorefest, on 15 October 2021 - 10:31 PM, said:

You have too much faith in humanity.

'“How do you oppose the Holocaust?” one teacher said in response.

“Believe me,” Peddy said. “That’s come up.”'

https://www.nbcnews....chools-rcna2965

Incidentally, Q (or one of the people who was almost certainly posting as Q) is running for congress:

'"After attending a recent sermon by Pastor [...] of Apologia Church, I've come to realize that following God's word is not always the easiest route," he said, referring to a pastor who believes abortion is "worse than the Holocaust" and should result in execution.

"Therefore, I have decided to double down — with God as my compass — to take this fight to the swamp of Washington, DC," Watkins said.'

https://www.rawstory...ngress-arizona/

#12839 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 16 October 2021 - 01:01 AM

I just don’t get it. I’ve seen this article, as well as the ones where Texas can’t teach about racism, and it just blows my mind. My mother was worried about my daughter’s Jewish last name at one point, because she was afraid my daughter could be a target of anti semitism. I refused to change it based on principle. I know my mom isn’t racist, and just was worried about her granddaughter because of all of the hate crimes, but is that the world we live in? Sadly, yes.
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#12840 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 October 2021 - 05:37 PM

Colin Powell died. I guess it was covid related.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users