• Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:13 PM

The presidential pardon needs to be the first thing the democrats axe

#12502 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 January 2021 - 08:31 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 18 January 2021 - 06:14 PM, said:

No less then 100 pardons supposed to happen Tuesday (last day in office).

over/under on how many will be for the "patriots" who attacked the capital.

There is an argument he can’t because it’s directly related to his to his own impeachment.

Either way trump is transactional. He would pardon them to continue to secure the loyalty of his base but I think it won’t as it will put him directly at further jeapardy of losing bussiness ties, support of gop senators at his trial etc. he will cut and run.

#12503 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 19 January 2021 - 12:41 AM

View PostMacros, on 18 January 2021 - 08:13 PM, said:

The presidential pardon needs to be the first thing the democrats axe

Maybe not axe it completely, but perhaps rather transform it into a list that the president sends to the judiciary for approval?

Some of the people pardoned in the past have not exactly been bad people, but rather unfortunate individuals caught in between a rock and a mandatory minimum for non-violent and relatively minor offenses.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12504 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 January 2021 - 02:51 AM

Question for you guys - who will have the best, most comprehensive coverage of the inauguration Wednesday and the events prior and after? I know most major media outlets will be on hand, but was wondering who you guys lean on to get the most, bestest coverage (ha, I sound like a thirsty fanboy) . I really am hoping to see some angles and coverage that isn't standard, mail it in coverage.

#12505 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:05 AM

Also, does anyone else find it ominous that we are talking about Biden's inauguration and this thread's page is on 666?

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 20 January 2021 - 03:07 AM

#12506 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:33 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 20 January 2021 - 03:05 AM, said:

Also, does anyone else find it ominous that we are talking about Biden's inauguration and this thread's page is on 666?

Another ominous coincidence: I'll find out today (Wednesday since it's after midnight now) whether my elderly cat is (almost certainly) terminally ill.

'Huddled for a lengthy meeting with his legal advisers, Trump was warned the pardons he once hoped to bestow upon his family and even himself would place him in a legally perilous position, convey the appearance of guilt and potentially make him more vulnerable to reprisals.

So, too, was Trump warned that pardons for Republican lawmakers who had sought them for their role in the Capitol insurrection would anger the very Senate Republicans who will determine his fate in an upcoming impeachment trial.

[....]

Trump continued to bring the matter up in the ensuing days, even after officials believed the issue was resolved. But the sobering meeting on Saturday evening at the White House seemed to put the idea to rest.

While Trump often discards advice he doesn't agree with -- particularly coming from Cipollone, with whom he has a fractured relationship -- the message Saturday resonated. The conversation spooked Trump in a way few others have[...]

Trump could still change his mind, and retains his sweeping clemency powers until noon on Wednesday. The President continues to bring up pardons that aides once thought were off the table, including for former strategist Steve Bannon, leading to general uncertainty about whether Trump will continue adhering to his lawyers' advice.

[...]

There is a frantic scramble happening behind the scenes on whether to grant Bannon a pardon. One concern is Bannon's possible connection to the January 6 riot of Trump supporters at the US Capitol, according to a source familiar with the discussions.

Trump has continued to go back and forth on Bannon's pardon into Tuesday night[...]

Trump is less worried about being barred from running from office again, and more concerned with the optics of being convicted by the Senate, people familiar with the matter said.'

https://www.cnn.com/...ning/index.html

'But the fact that seems to be troubling [Trump] most at this chaotic moment in time? That President-elect Joe Biden's team has managed to persuade a bunch of A-listers to perform at his inauguration on Wednesday. According to The Washington Post, Trump is "particularly upset" [they ...] have agreed to take part in the celebrations tomorrow, because celebrities shunned his inauguration four years ago. Trump is said to be spending his last days in office frothing about being treated unfairly by almost everyone'

https://www.thedaily...report?ref=home

'Trump Insists "the Movement" Is "Just Beginning" in Bizarre Video Farewell to Presidency

"We built the greatest political movement in the history of this country," he said in classic Trump hyperbole. "The movement we started is only just beginning...We achieved more than anyone thought possible." [...] "We did what we came here to do and so much more," he said of his administration's efforts to "make America great again,"'

https://www.thedaily...idency?ref=home

[Edit:

'Trump has decided to pardon his former chief strategist Steve Bannon, in a last-minute decision made only hours before he is scheduled to depart the White House for a final time.

Officials cautioned CNN that Trump's decision was not final until he signed the paperwork.'

https://www.cnn.com/...rump/index.html

]

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 20 January 2021 - 05:57 AM

#12507 User is offline   Gwynn ap Nudd 

• High Fist

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:16 AM

I was waiting to see who was included in the pardons. Hopefully there are state charges against Bannon.

#12508 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:09 AM

There has to be some kind of check on the presidential pardon.
This is farcical if he can clean the slate for these assholes

#12509 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:02 PM

I'm watching live coverage of the inauguration and I feel like a kid at Christmas.

It's incredibly boring footage filled with filler commentary but boy am I excited For the patriots to storm the ceremony and take back their country!

Do you think Trump will brag that there were more people at his inauguration?

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 20 January 2021 - 01:02 PM

#12510 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:16 PM

I'm looking at that Helicopter on the White House lawn and getting all teary eyed at the thought that we'll (hopefully) never have to watch another terrible press event in front of a helicopter drowning out all the sound.

#12511 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:16 PM

Of course he will.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#12512 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:31 PM

Man, I'm switching between CBS and NBCs youtube livecoverage and everyone is just dunking on Trump. There's not a single positive story being told, not a single achievement being lauded. It's like a eulogy for the drunk uncle who nobody liked.

"Oh but what about the Economy, Rachel? Yeah, he inherited that economy from Obama and it was the only good thing he had going for him so he refused to address the Corona-virus because he was more worried about the economy than the people." Ooph.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 20 January 2021 - 01:47 PM

#12513 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:43 PM

There's like 50 people attending Trump's airport boo hoo event, besides family, staff and press. Ha!

They're doing these tight shots at the stage so that you can't see that there's three rows of people.

Also they played YMCA to play him off the stages. Fucking YMCA. That's the tone they wanted to set.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 20 January 2021 - 01:53 PM

#12514 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:58 PM

Even just the memorial event with Biden and Co. last night to honour the 400k+ dead from COVID was moving as fuck...you forget what normalcy and empathy from a leader looks like when it's gone for 84 4 years...so when it shows up in even the smallest way, you get emotional.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 20 January 2021 - 01:59 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12515 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:05 PM

Does Trump still have the "nuclear football" ?

#12516 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:09 PM

I heard earlier that they've created two sets of nuclear code. Trump's get deactivated when Biden is sworn in.

#12517 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:47 PM

View PostAptorian, on 20 January 2021 - 01:02 PM, said:

I'm watching live coverage of the inauguration and I feel like a kid at Christmas.

It's incredibly boring footage filled with filler commentary but boy am I excited For the patriots to storm the ceremony and take back their country!

Do you think Trump will brag that there were more people at his inauguration?

I'm off work and on childcare duty this afternoon and I was thinking I could watch it as it won't have particularly unsuitable content even though I try to avoid him hearing stuff about covid deaths. But then I thought "What if Biden gets JFK'ed?" And decided against!

I cannot wait for some normalcy. And for UK politicians to have to copy it or look even more outrageous. I just hope events allow any normalcy to last.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#12518 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:03 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 20 January 2021 - 04:05 PM, said:

Does Trump still have the "nuclear football" ?

Yip, his acting like a shit has created a logistical nightmare. At the moment there are two footballs. One with Biden and one with trump. The puck (card with codes) that trump has on his person with the codes to launch a strike are valid till noon. Afterwards the puck codes on Biden’s person will be active.

I mean I don’t entertain for a second that a nuclear strike is a real possibility but if it were I’d launch at noon preciseness. The confusion would be amazing.

Still I think this is an unprecedented situation in the history of the football

#12519 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:06 PM

And that's the ballgame.

Trump is now a private citizen.

Here's hoping NY has armed police awaiting him in Florida when he lands to take him into custody for that states crimes.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#12520 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 20 January 2021 - 05:18 PM

Congrats Americans, sanity has returned to your great nation.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users