• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#10121 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:03 AM

View PostCause, on 27 February 2020 - 04:35 AM, said:

Why would anyone suggest a virus would disappear when it got warmer. That's not how it works ever.

Well, it sort of works for some viruses. There is a reason that the seasonal flu is seasonal. It tends to die down in the northern hemisphere around April/May time and flare back up in November time. So I assume Trump was referring to that. But at present there is no way to know whether that would be the case for COVID-19. It is a completely different virus, so you cannot just draw such comparisons.

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#10122 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:52 PM

It has a seasonal spike but it doesn’t disappear. Not really a great strategy if trumps best Hope is the transmission does down a bit during summer before picking back up again in six months.

#10123 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 February 2020 - 02:28 PM

Trump is a moron. Coronaviruses are not the same as seasonal flu or other stuff that tends to wane as the seasons change...hell SARS began in February 2003 and lasted through fucking JULY.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10124 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 February 2020 - 03:56 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 February 2020 - 02:28 PM, said:

Trump is a moron. Coronaviruses are not the same as seasonal flu or other stuff that tends to wane as the seasons change...hell SARS began in February 2003 and lasted through fucking JULY.

Don't worry, he put Mike 'Pray away the disease' Pence in charge of the response, after spending years cutting funding and firing any qualified leaders from the CDC.

I'm sure the man who oversaw the biggest increase in HIV in his state through his terrible response isn't going to fuck this up.

Do you think Trump knows he can't fire the VP?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#10125 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:01 PM

I'm in one of the Super Tuesday states that are voting next Tuesday and whooboy have the political advert flood gates opened. Fukin' hell they are a pop-a-loppin' all over the place. This is going to be wearisome and akin to Chinese water torture that is hammering away at my sanity.

#10126 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:06 PM

I use an adblocker online and I don't watch TV at all. I only do streaming; if a show isn't available for streaming, I don't watch it. The only reason I have a TV in my room is in case I need to watch the news or something like that, but that is incredibly rare. I'm currently using it as a coatrack.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#10127 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:57 PM

View PostObdigore, on 27 February 2020 - 03:56 PM, said:

Don't worry, he put Mike 'Pray away the disease' Pence in charge of the response, after spending years cutting funding and firing any qualified leaders from the CDC.

I'm sure the man who oversaw the biggest increase in HIV in his state through his terrible response isn't going to fuck this up.

I'm sure he already would have if he could. This would give him enough of an excuse to replace him as his vp candidate for 2020 when he can't get this under control though.

This post has been edited by JPK: 27 February 2020 - 08:57 PM

#10128 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:30 PM

'Trump administration cancels $3B in health care grants to NYS

Gov. Andrew Cuomo is decrying a decision by the Trump administration to deny the state a health care grant that the governor says is all about retribution politics. [...]

"Why you would want to play politics with someone's health care is just beyond me," Cuomo said. "They have no limits whatsoever."

The governor said it's just the latest in what he calls a long list of federal "horribles" lately, including restricting New Yorkers access to the Trusted Traveler programs to expedite border crossings, denying FEMA aid for areas in the Mohawk Valley affected by the Halloween floods, and delaying a decision on approving congestion pricing for New York City.'

https://news.wbfo.or...iTWXSmIzZIiZWKs

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 28 February 2020 - 09:30 PM

#10129 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 29 February 2020 - 01:41 AM

The Mohawk Valley floods are something that's affected my work. Lots of people, including disabled senior citizens, have been forced to relocate and have not been able to go back - since November 1.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#10130 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 01 March 2020 - 01:53 AM

I'm not particularly surprised that he won. I'm just a little surprised that he performed as strongly as he did. But only a little. Bernie panic has really been ramping up recently.

There it is.

#10131 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 01 March 2020 - 03:34 PM

Okay you political nerds, this is where the rubber hits the road - S-U-P-E-R ...T-U-E-S-D-A-Y! Will we see some separation? Or will shit get tighter than that weird, creepy jar of pickles that's been sitting at the back of your nana's pantry since 1974? I think, at least, we'll see some folks drop out. Damn, I still have to fill out my ballot and drop it off.

#10132 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 02 March 2020 - 01:25 PM

View PostTerez, on 01 March 2020 - 01:53 AM, said:

I'm not particularly surprised that he won. I'm just a little surprised that he performed as strongly as he did. But only a little. Bernie panic has really been ramping up recently.

I may live in Charlotte, but I'm from South Carolina, and Biden was probably the only name anyone knew. Not that it matters, they've voted Republican every year since the '60s(except for Jimmy Carter in '76).
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#10133 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia

Posted 02 March 2020 - 01:28 PM

I'm hoping for a Bernie win. He said he'd legalize marijuana. What's more important than that.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#10134 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 March 2020 - 01:55 PM

It's been legal for 6 years now. *PullsOutDabRig

#10135 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 02 March 2020 - 05:09 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 26 February 2020 - 09:27 PM, said:

Didn't watch the debate but have seen some clips and highlights. Bloomberg is such an unappetizing individual, so out of touch, that it's enervating to watch him speak. I recoil in abject disgust when the camera is on him. But, 3 billys, so yeah.
I wonder if he's even aware that people hate him.

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 27 February 2020 - 02:17 AM, said:

'Trump official refuses to say a coronavirus vaccine would be affordable to all

Alex Azar also appears to contradict president's contention that deadly virus will disappear once it gets warmer

[...] Giving evidence to Congress on the administration's efforts to contain the deadly virus, Mr Azar said: "We would want to ensure that we work to make it affordable, but we can't control that price, because we need the private sector to invest. Price controls won't get us there."'

https://www.independ...vu7OY4V5RElAaD8
Well from their perspective it doesn't matter if it only kills poor people. Can't interfere with the private sector and free market for their sake.

View PostObdigore, on 27 February 2020 - 03:56 PM, said:

I don't think he needs to. If it goes badly, just deflect all the blame to Pence.

View PostMalankazooie, on 27 February 2020 - 07:01 PM, said:

I'm in one of the Super Tuesday states that are voting next Tuesday and whooboy have the political advert flood gates opened. Fukin' hell they are a pop-a-loppin' all over the place. This is going to be wearisome and akin to Chinese water torture that is hammering away at my sanity.

So many Bloomberg ads. Even texts.

I like responding to the texts with questions about the stop and frisk policy and his use of prison labor.

View PostTerez, on 27 February 2020 - 07:06 PM, said:

I use an adblocker online and I don't watch TV at all. I only do streaming; if a show isn't available for streaming, I don't watch it. The only reason I have a TV in my room is in case I need to watch the news or something like that, but that is incredibly rare. I'm currently using it as a coatrack.
I have an old TV in my room but it's only hooked up to my DVD/CD player. It's mainly a stand for my record player.

View PostMalankazooie, on 02 March 2020 - 01:55 PM, said:

I keep my pipe right out in the living room these days.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#10136 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:12 PM

Filled out my ballot for Super Tuesday and dropped it off on the way to work. A warm, right out of the oven, ooey-gooey, chocolate chip cookie for the first forum member to reply, guessing correctly who I voted for. Posted Image

#10137 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:07 PM

View PostKanese S, on 02 March 2020 - 05:09 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 02 March 2020 - 01:55 PM, said:

I keep my pipe right out in the living room these days.

I gave up combustion years ago but I've been legal for 2 months and it sure is nice. I bought a little desk stand for my vape pens.

Klobuchar dropped out, endorsing Biden. The moderate lane circles its worst candidate, and the progressive lane circles its worst candidate. Yay Democrats! We learn our lessons so well.

There it is.

#10138 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:40 PM

Yeah, I was surprised he didn't just do it last night. There's some speculation that he wanted to make a deal, and he has a bit more leverage than Klobuchar, but he has to know that it would be a mistake for Biden to pick him as a running mate. Buttigieg doesn't have anything worth that mistake.

There it is.

#10139 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 March 2020 - 07:50 PM

I saw someone on reddit refer to Klobuchar as the "starscream of Karens" and I think that's the funniest and most accurate thing on the internet today.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#10140 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 March 2020 - 08:02 PM

If Warren does poorly tomorrow and doesn't drop out (I mean she should drop now, but I get waiting till tomorrow), then she's as selfish as they come as she will just siphon votes off Bernie if she stays in and she knows that...and with everyone circling the wagons round Biden, that would be bad news.

She seems like a level headed person, so I would expect she would drop out and not stay in (with no path to the nomination), rather than hurt Bernie's shot, but we will have to see what she does.

But I think it's clear that it's Biden and Bernie's race now.

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users