• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#9781 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:44 PM

View PostObdigore, on 04 December 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 04 December 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

Triggered! Someone should write a book about that...

They did! And then the RNC bought up enough copies to get it onto the bestseller list. And then the author fled a press event because he didn't want to answer questions from a friendly crowd who had purchased his book.

Don't worry friend, it's bullshit all the way down.

Indeed.

I was reading somewhere from someone who used to work at Fox News that this is a LONG-standing Republican tactic. Artificially inflating the sales of R and Fox commentator books by just buying up skids full of them to get them on the bestseller list....then the skids sit abandoned in the Fox Offices. This guy said he often saw the skids of "bought" books in store rooms collecting dust.

Bunch of lying assholes, the R party.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9782 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:46 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 December 2019 - 05:44 PM, said:

View PostObdigore, on 04 December 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 04 December 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

Triggered! Someone should write a book about that...

They did! And then the RNC bought up enough copies to get it onto the bestseller list. And then the author fled a press event because he didn't want to answer questions from a friendly crowd who had purchased his book.

Don't worry friend, it's bullshit all the way down.

Indeed.

I was reading somewhere from someone who used to work at Fox News that this is a LONG-standing Republican tactic. Artificially inflating the sales of R and Fox commentator books by just buying up skids full of them to get them on the bestseller list....then the skids sit abandoned in the Fox Offices. This guy said he often saw the skids of "bought" books in store rooms collecting dust.

Bunch of lying assholes, the R party.

It is, according to someone I know in publishing, a pretty shady, but standard, tactic for people who are less than reputable. You pre-order 10k (or more!) of your self-published book on amazon, get onto the bestseller list, and then cancel the pre-orders before you are charged.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#9783 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:15 PM

'This week, the president decided to remind the world that he is, in fact, "a Tariff Man," by announcing a series of aggressive moves aimed at punishing various U.S. trade partners for slights, both real and perceived'

[Alluding to:

'Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

....I am a Tariff Man. When people or countries come in to raid the great wealth of our Nation, I want them to pay for the privilege of doing so. It will always be the best way to max out our economic power. We are right now taking in $billions in Tariffs. MAKE AMERICA RICH AGAIN
[...] Dec 4, 2018'

https://twitter.com/...5902208?lang=en
]

'The fun started early Monday morning, when Trump tweeted that he would slap tariffs on steel and aluminum from Brazil and Argentina for allowing their currencies to devalue. [...] Ordinarily, politicians get angry when their trade partners purposely manipulate the value of their currency to give their exports an unfair advantage. But neither Argentina nor Brazil have been doing any such thing. Their currencies have fallen against the dollar because their economies are simply a wreck [...] Their governments aren't "presiding over massive devaluations." They are trying frantically to stop them.

But there's an additional, subtle layer of absurdity to the situation. Our president is purportedly mad because he thinks American farmers are being undercut on price by competitors from Brazil and Argentina, who benefit from a cheaper currency. (In reality, they're losing business to Latin America in large part because of Trump's trade war with China, but let's not digress.) However, if Trump follows through on his new threat, it is likely that Brazil and Argentina's currencies will fall even further, since the tariffs will hurt their steel and aluminum exports. (After Trump's tweet, Brazil's real immediately dropped half a percentage point.) This, in turn, would make life even more unpleasant for American farmers. The whole thing is nonsensical and counterproductive. Or, in a word, Trumpian.'

https://slate.com/bu...ina-france.html

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 04 December 2019 - 06:16 PM

#9784 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:21 PM

I said it you guys, it's piling up on the bag of lumpy mash potatoes and, it's not like he wasn't already unhinged, but damn he's heading for rubber room city.

#9785 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 04 December 2019 - 11:56 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 December 2019 - 06:21 PM, said:

I said it you guys, it's piling up on the bag of lumpy mash potatoes and, it's not like he wasn't already unhinged, but damn he's heading for rubber room city.

'A group of mental health professionals led by a trio of pre-eminent psychiatrists is urging the House Judiciary Committee to consider Donald Trump's "dangerous" mental state arising from his "brittle sense of self-worth" as part of its inquiry into whether to approve articles of impeachment against him.

"We are speaking out at this time because we are convinced that, as the time of possible impeachment approaches, Donald Trump has the real potential to become ever more dangerous, a threat to the safety of our nation," [...]

All three psychiatrists have said they are willing to testify as part of the impeachment inquiry.

The statement warns that "[f]ailing to monitor or to understand the psychological aspects [of impeachment on Mr Trump], or discounting them, could lead to catastrophic outcomes."

[...] "[W]e implore Congress to take these danger signs seriously and to constrain his destructive impulses. We and many others are available to give important relevant recommendations as well as to educate the public so that we can maximise our collective safety," [...]

[...] the US president "is ramping up his conspiracy theories" and "showing a great deal of cruelty and vindictiveness" in his "accelerated, repetitive tweets," which she explained are signs that he is "doubling and a tripling down on his delusions".

"I believe that they fit the pattern of delusions rather than just plain lies," [...] Mr Trump is exhibiting "definitive signs of severe pathology of someone who requires an advanced level of care" and who "meets every criterion of lacking a rational decision making capacity".'

https://www.independ...FeNsdUnLiKJwpXY

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 04 December 2019 - 11:57 PM

#9786 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:19 PM

It's some scary shit if you examine the damage that can be done. I hope 'anonymous' is staying vigilant and steering the madness away from destruction.

#9787 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:41 PM

So I guess impeachment is happening now? Not quite sure how it all works!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9788 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 10 December 2019 - 05:47 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 10 December 2019 - 05:41 PM, said:

The president has had articles of impeachement drawn against him. Next is a vote in the House, which will technically impeach the president, assuming they have the votes to pass.

Next that impeachement result goes to the senate, where they hold a trial to see what the punishment should be, if any.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#9789 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 December 2019 - 06:20 PM

View PostObdigore, on 10 December 2019 - 05:47 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 10 December 2019 - 05:41 PM, said:

Next that impeachement result goes to the senate, where they hold a trial to see what the punishment should be, if any.

Where the Republican majority will be entirely derelict in their duty and refuse to punish these crimes, and instead will obfuscate and pretend it's all okay.

The only good news is that if impeached by the House, Trump is not federally pardonable (the reason Nixon resigned instead of facing impeachment) for his crimes.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9790 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 December 2019 - 07:18 PM

Rep. John Ratcliffe ( R ): "Is it ever okay to invite a foreign government to become involved in an election involving a political opponent?The answer is yes. It better be, we do it all the time."

hooo boy....this may not be the best talking point Ratcliffe, you moron.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 December 2019 - 07:18 PM

#9791 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 December 2019 - 08:49 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 December 2019 - 07:18 PM, said:

Rep. John Ratcliffe ( R ): "Is it ever okay to invite a foreign government to become involved in an election involving a political opponent?The answer is yes. It better be, we do it all the time."

hooo boy....this may not be the best talking point Ratcliffe, you moron.

No no no, not at all. I would very much like the Congressman to continue, and explain himself, in detail. Names and dates if possible.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9792 User is offline   King Lear 

• Une belle quelquesomething sans merci
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:02 PM

Attached File  abitearly.PNG (39.98K)
Number of downloads: 2

Well that's a whole year earlier than I thought they were going to start this, I guess the impeachment stuff is a bit agitating.

Also a link if you can bear it https://twitter.com/...211276005101568
*Men's Frights Activist*

#9793 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:00 AM

View PostKing Lear, on 12 December 2019 - 10:02 PM, said:

Attachment abitearly.PNG

Well that's a whole year earlier than I thought they were going to start this, I guess the impeachment stuff is a bit agitating.

Also a link if you can bear it https://twitter.com/...211276005101568

Wtf?

#9794 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:01 PM

'Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin’s term came to an end Tuesday, but not before the Republican took one final chance to kick the concept of justice in the shins on the way out the door by issuing a slew of highly controversial pardons. Since his narrow loss to Democrat Andy Beshear just over a month before departing, Bevin issued 428 pardons, a number to violent criminals, including, the Louisville Courier-Journal reports, “one offender convicted of raping a child, another who hired a hit man to kill his business partner and a third who killed his parents.”

Among the pardoned was Patrick Baker, who served just two years of a 19-year sentence for reckless homicide, impersonating a police officer, and tampering with evidence. Baker was convicted along with two others for a deadly 2014 home invasion where a father was killed in front of his family.

Baker’s brother and sister-in-law raised $21,500 last year to retire Bevin’s 2015 gubernatorial campaign debt. They also donated $4,000 at the July 2018 fundraiser held at their home. Baker’s two co-defendants did not get pardoned by Bevin and remain in prison. “I’ve never seen a more compelling or complete case,” the sentencing judge said of Baker. “The evidence was just overwhelming.”'

https://slate.com/ne...rs-rapists.html

#9795 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:03 PM

It has been more than three years since I abandoned this thread in depression. I feel like I'm buckling under its weight now. How is everyone else holding up? (I occasionally see worry and phib on Twitter.)

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#9796 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:37 PM

View PostTerez, on 13 December 2019 - 08:03 PM, said:

It has been more than three years since I abandoned this thread in depression. I feel like I'm buckling under its weight now. How is everyone else holding up? (I occasionally see worry and phib on Twitter.)

Well, it's disheartening to see people quieten at this important moment when the 2020 election is about to hit full stride. I'm still fighting the good fight. I will never be quiet or stop. Truth bombs need to be dropped, no matter how much they offend. Truth cuts the deepest and wounds the most. Healing and an enlightened perspective can began to blossom after that hard pill is swallowed.

#9797 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:41 PM

I think half of my Twitter followers (mostly Dragon Ball people) have probably muted me at this point because I tweet about politics so much. (Before that, it was the Vic Mignogna drama.) If I can influence even one person, I suppose it's all worth it.

Some of you might remember from 2016 that I am a huge Warren fangirl. I wish she had run in 2016.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#9798 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 13 December 2019 - 11:39 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 13 December 2019 - 08:01 PM, said:

'Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin’s term came to an end Tuesday, but not before the Republican took one final chance to kick the concept of justice in the shins on the way out the door by issuing a slew of highly controversial pardons. Since his narrow loss to Democrat Andy Beshear just over a month before departing, Bevin issued 428 pardons, a number to violent criminals, including, the Louisville Courier-Journal reports, “one offender convicted of raping a child, another who hired a hit man to kill his business partner and a third who killed his parents.”

Among the pardoned was Patrick Baker, who served just two years of a 19-year sentence for reckless homicide, impersonating a police officer, and tampering with evidence. Baker was convicted along with two others for a deadly 2014 home invasion where a father was killed in front of his family.

Baker’s brother and sister-in-law raised $21,500 last year to retire Bevin’s 2015 gubernatorial campaign debt. They also donated $4,000 at the July 2018 fundraiser held at their home. Baker’s two co-defendants did not get pardoned by Bevin and remain in prison. “I’ve never seen a more compelling or complete case,” the sentencing judge said of Baker. “The evidence was just overwhelming.”'

This
Is utterly disgusting. How does a governor have that much unchecked power?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#9799 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 14 December 2019 - 08:54 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 December 2019 - 11:39 PM, said:

This

I read about this. He pardones a man whod ecapitated a woman. I just cant understand why he would do it.

He restored the voting rights of about 150 000 former convicts which actually seems like a decent thing to do but why pardon murderers?

#9800 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:05 PM

View PostCause, on 14 December 2019 - 08:54 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 13 December 2019 - 11:39 PM, said:

'Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin's term came to an end Tuesday, but not before the Republican took one final chance to kick the concept of justice in the shins on the way out the door by issuing a slew of highly controversial pardons. Since his narrow loss to Democrat Andy Beshear just over a month before departing, Bevin issued 428 pardons, a number to violent criminals, including, the Louisville Courier-Journal reports, "one offender convicted of raping a child, another who hired a hit man to kill his business partner and a third who killed his parents."

Baker's brother and sister-in-law raised $21,500 last year to retire Bevin's 2015 gubernatorial campaign debt. They also donated $4,000 at the July 2018 fundraiser held at their home. Baker's two co-defendants did not get pardoned by Bevin and remain in prison. "I've never seen a more compelling or complete case," the sentencing judge said of Baker. "The evidence was just overwhelming."'

This

I read about this. He pardones a man whod ecapitated a woman. I just cant understand why he would do it.

He restored the voting rights of about 150 000 former convicts which actually seems like a decent thing to do but why pardon murderers?

Perhaps he wanted to pardon that one murderer in exchange for cash, but since that would seem blatantly corrupt, he decided to pardon a bunch of other murderers and violent offenders as well?

And/or 'god' told him it's okay....

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 14 December 2019 - 09:09 PM

Share this topic:

• 706 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users