• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#6561 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:46 AM

Ah yes, that site we've repeatedly told you to not seriously site, Nic.

Read their fellow reads and manifesto to see just how unbiased they are for anyone not Nic.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6562 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 April 2018 - 01:47 AM

View PostBachelorluver, on 14 April 2018 - 01:29 AM, said:

MSNBC is up. CNN just a black screen.

You got liberal cancer yet, lol?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6563 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:08 AM

View Postworry, on 14 April 2018 - 12:57 AM, said:

Hmm. I guess Syria is as godawful a distraction war as any.

How effective is it really, while no one (that matters) is dying?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#6564 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:16 AM

Ment you speak of justice. You know that is incredibly hard to find most times. Assad is awful and should be gone according to us... at what cost?

#6565 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:19 AM

It's not effective, but DJT isn't even a competent oligarch. So many people are going to die, a bunch of wealthy war machine people are going to get wealthier on "both sides" (that's both sides of world power stage, and 'both sides' in the U.S. specifically too), but Trump is still going to go down for the penny ante nonsense he was doing before and during the election.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6566 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 April 2018 - 02:40 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 14 April 2018 - 02:16 AM, said:

Ment you speak of justice. You know that is incredibly hard to find most times. Assad is awful and should be gone according to us... at what cost?

You misunderstood.

How important is the distractions really going to be, unless the Syrians actually manage to shoot down a US (or allied) jet and some pilot gets beheaded on video that'll immediately get uploaded to youtube?

I mean, call me jaded and cynical if you must, but "the West is bombing a third wold country into the stone age with no chance of repercussion" isn't THAT big a deal, imho.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 14 April 2018 - 02:41 AM

#6567 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:03 AM

View PostMentalist, on 14 April 2018 - 02:40 AM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 14 April 2018 - 02:16 AM, said:

You misunderstood.

How important is the distractions really going to be, unless the Syrians actually manage to shoot down a US (or allied) jet and some pilot gets beheaded on video that'll immediately get uploaded to youtube?

I mean, call me jaded and cynical if you must, but "the West is bombing a third wold country into the stone age with no chance of repercussion" isn't THAT big a deal, imho.

I’ll take this argument: As the empire pushes the line eventually it will hit that limit. Do I think it’s Syria ? No. Would I be surprised if we drop ground troops in the future and tie a future attack to Iran. Probably.

That’s my thought pattern,

@ HD: You gotta be more open minded—the more sources we get our info the more we get to a closer truth.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#6568 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:14 AM

It's not novel, that's for sure, Ment. I don't think it's cynical to conclude that nobody in this -- Trump, May, Macron, Putin, Assad -- cares at all about the victims of chemical weapon attacks, in Syria or most anywhere else. Nor do they mind meddling in the affairs of weaker countries. That's just an accurate assessment. I don't think we disagree. It's just that this is a political choice DJT is making, and it's the politics thread, but I don't divorce politics from policy or outcomes. So when the outcomes are this gross, it makes me sick.

#6569 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 14 April 2018 - 03:37 AM

View Postworry, on 14 April 2018 - 03:14 AM, said:

It's not novel, that's for sure, Ment. I don't think it's cynical to conclude that nobody in this -- Trump, May, Macron, Putin, Assad -- cares at all about the victims of chemical weapon attacks, in Syria or most anywhere else. Nor do they mind meddling in the affairs of weaker countries. That's just an accurate assessment. I don't think we disagree. It's just that this is a political choice DJT is making, and it's the politics thread, but I don't divorce politics from policy or outcomes. So when the outcomes are this gross, it makes me sick.

@ worry: what exactly is the outcome ? Like how is this a winning situation?
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#6570 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:00 AM

It's not a winning situation. If you're asking me what I think the goal is, it's narrowly savvy men like Putin manipulating outright morons like Trump, May, & Macron into puffing up their chests. It makes war profiteers in all these countries wealthier while giving Russian nationalists (earnest or not) some reason to crow. It's like the ghost of the Cold War. But of course the money's still real and the people (exploded, currently-in-the-process-of-exploding, and the soon-to-be-exploded) are real too.

I dunno what the outcome will be. It could snowball into something worse, or it could fizzle out like the strikes Trump did a year ago. As Ment said, the people dying don't matter, so it's just a matter of the egos and bottom lines of the people involved.

#6571 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:02 AM

Keep in mind though that I'm not necessarily smart.

#6572 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:19 AM

View Postworry, on 14 April 2018 - 04:02 AM, said:

Keep in mind though that I'm not necessarily smart.

Honestly was just curious where you were headed with that comment for gee whiz reasons. I’m struggling to find the reason we keep fighting all these countries.. tossing money away at this stage ?

I don’t understand the empires motivations .....

What we really need to focus on is a capital supership.

#6573 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:00 AM

There is literally no upper limit to greed, and when the rich and powerful seem to toss public money 'away' you can bet that some of their private sector buddies are there to catch it.

Now I like your idea of a supership, but I've also seen Titanic, so I'm 50/50 on that.

#6574 User is offline   Yllana 

• Corporal

Posted 14 April 2018 - 08:58 AM

what I find fascinating is that Trump really brings out the worst in people. Putin has never been a model of human virtue, but he's always acted more or less rationally. Enter Trump and he starts seething with rage. The conflict in Syria has to be solved politically first and I just can't see that happening with Trump making everyone even angrier than they already are.

#6575 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 April 2018 - 04:48 PM

View PostYllana, on 14 April 2018 - 08:58 AM, said:

what I find fascinating is that Trump really brings out the worst in people. Putin has never been a model of human virtue, but he's always acted more or less rationally. Enter Trump and he starts seething with rage. The conflict in Syria has to be solved politically first and I just can't see that happening with Trump making everyone even angrier than they already are.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm sorry. Carry on.

#6576 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:03 PM

Richard Engel of NBC News seems to have summed it up:
https://twitter.com/...131315518427137

Assad wasn't targeted. His air force remains intact. US efforts taken to prevent escalation with Russia. So the message seems to be that the Syrian regime can continue its war and Assad still gets to win, just not by using chemical weapons.

#6577 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 April 2018 - 05:07 PM

(Not that I think HRC wouldn't have done something similar, if not without the fanfare, or that Dems taking the "good idea but Trump didn't follow the rules" route to bloodlust is any more noble).

#6578 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:32 PM

Oh boy. Batten down the hatches! You guys better set your DVRs for This Week With George Stephanopoulos tomorrow morning. It will be his first interview since being fired by Trump (and obvi, he wants to sell copies of his book).

LINK

ABC: Comey compares Trump to mob boss

A source present at the taping says James Comey's interview with ABC's George Stephanopoulos, airing Sunday at 10 p.m. as a "20/20" special, is "going to shock the president and his team."

The source said Comey's comments, in his first interview since being fired by President Trump last May, will generate headlines and "certainly add more meat to the charges swirling around Trump."

• In an ABC promo, Stephanopoulos says Comey compared Trump to a mob boss.

According to the source:

• The Comey interview left people in the room stunned — he told George things that he's never said before.
  • Some described the experience as surreal. The question will be how to fit it all into a one-hour show.
  • Comey answered every question.
  • If anyone wonders if Comey will go there, he goes there.

What's next:
Comey's book, "A Higher Loyalty," is out next Tuesday. He taped the interview Monday at his Washington-area home.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 14 April 2018 - 07:34 PM

#6579 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:02 PM

Honestly, if you had to be objective, nothing that comes out of that interview or the book can be taken at face value now that money is involved.

No matter how professional Comey may be or have been, he's a private citizen now, an ex-employee who was "let go" in a manner that left his relationship to the employer sour.

It won't be hard for anyone, Republican or other, to discredit anything he says from here on in.

Now, if there was some evidence, like say some hand written memos and tapes though...

EDIT: Maybe some rubber sheets.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 14 April 2018 - 09:07 PM

#6580 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 April 2018 - 09:41 PM

It's already begun: https://www.lyincomey.com/

I think Trump is running out of nicknames, because I thought Ted Cruz was "Lyin' Ted".

Trump's nicknames for rivals, from 'Rocket Man' to 'Pocahontas'

I think "Corruption Comey" is better. Hmmm... maybe I should offer to join the Trump team as a writer. What do you guys think?Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

97 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 97 guests, 0 anonymous users