• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The USA Politics Thread

#4661 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:04 AM

Hope isn't enough.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4662 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:38 AM

Here's a rundown on Gorsuch: https://www.themarsh...thout-the-scowl

It seem he has a lot in common with Scalia philosophically -- one might say almost identical views -- but apparently isn't very much like him in terms of temperament. In other words, he'll be more likely to whisper comfortingly to you rather than shout at you while he presses the pillow down over your face.

#4663 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:02 AM

538 actually puts him to the right of Scalia, to the left of Thomas. Not sure why, since they still call him a "clone". https://fivethirtyei...me-court-trump/

Now does any of this matter? Will Democrats show some backbone and resist him forever, or will they remain wholly ineffectual like they did the entire year Merrick Garland was ignored? The safe money is on the latter, but we'll see.

#4664 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:25 AM

So he went to the far right on judicial spectrum. Thomas is by FAR the most conservative, strict constructionist. If he's between Alito and Thomas then Roe v. Wade is going to be back under discussion. Don't think it'll change, but the 4 members will admit a writ of certiorari.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4665 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:15 AM

Death will be a constant.
http://www.fox2detro...232856168-story

Not ignoring that Obama rained down death daily on foreign countries, and HRC likely wouldn't have curtailed it, but Trump's doing that too. The drone strikes continue. And then of course there was that raid:
http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.2960256

#4666 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:08 AM

It's not a bad question. The article doesn't break it down into hours, but it does say she died "a day" later. Just from Googling it appears a flight would be ~14 hours, so that looks like plenty of time. I mean his prediction that she would have survived in a US hospital is unknowable, but she wasn't even given a shot.

#4667 User is offline   Una 

• Captain

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:30 AM

View PostCheesewiz, on 01 February 2017 - 12:32 AM, said:

Let us hope that neither one of those come to pass and these 4 yrs pass fast. I don't think we ll have to worry about 8 yrs honestly.

This is what I don't understand. You talk as if there is going to be another election in 4 years. All those Republican congressmen and senators trying their darndest to figure out which way the wind is blowing so they can get re-elected, they seem to think there is going to be another election.

My understanding of dictatorships is fairly academic, not personal. I've got high school level history. I've read 1984 and all the rest of it. I've got family in One-Party-Rule China. That's pretty much it, but even I can see the warning signs a mile away and I am alarmed. My significant other grew up in Indonesia under frickin' Suharto. He is very alarmed, and I think he should know.

I sincerely hope I am wrong, but as death rattle says, hope is not enough.

#4668 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:35 AM

A 5-4 right-wing SCOTUS and Jeff Sessions as AG = byebye to what's still left of the Voting Rights Act, even if it's done piecemeal via a bunch of "states' rights" challenges.

#4669 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:58 AM

Chiggers are attracted to hope.

#4670 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:31 AM

I also hang out at TFN and I haven't seen any bashing or anything. Granted I stick to the Lit. threads.

Getting back on topic, every time I see something news about Trump, I get more and more worried. This guy is dangerous and spews hatred constantly - that' not healthy (also every time a leader started with the hate rhetoric and blaming "others" for the woes of the country, he turned into a bloody dictator).
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#4671 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

View PostUna, on 01 February 2017 - 04:30 AM, said:

Let us hope that neither one of those come to pass and these 4 yrs pass fast. I don't think we ll have to worry about 8 yrs honestly.

This is what I don't understand. You talk as if there is going to be another election in 4 years. All those Republican congressmen and senators trying their darndest to figure out which way the wind is blowing so they can get re-elected, they seem to think there is going to be another election.

My understanding of dictatorships is fairly academic, not personal. I've got high school level history. I've read 1984 and all the rest of it. I've got family in One-Party-Rule China. That's pretty much it, but even I can see the warning signs a mile away and I am alarmed. My significant other grew up in Indonesia under frickin' Suharto. He is very alarmed, and I think he should know.

Considering Trump already registered for re-election, there will be a new election (if only for the purpose of legitimizing him, if he does establish a dictatorship).
I will not rule out that Trump will try his hardest to be the sole candidate in the race, but there are mid-terms, there is a constitution and there is a Supreme Court. There is also currently a lot of public outrage. If all that fails: the man is in his 70s, not interested in government as a whole, only in status and money. I also do not see who would be the heir apparent: it probably wouldn't be his sons and Ivanka has so far not assumed the FLOTUS-status many expected.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#4672 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:46 AM

View PostTapper, on 01 February 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

View PostUna, on 01 February 2017 - 04:30 AM, said:

Considering Trump already registered for re-election, there will be a new election (if only for the purpose of legitimizing him, if he does establish a dictatorship).
I will not rule out that Trump will try his hardest to be the sole candidate in the race, but there are mid-terms, there is a constitution and there is a Supreme Court. There is also currently a lot of public outrage. If all that fails: the man is in his 70s, not interested in government as a whole, only in status and money. I also do not see who would be the heir apparent: it probably wouldn't be his sons and Ivanka has so far not assumed the FLOTUS-status many expected.

Attached File  Sarah-Palin-Steve-Bannon-640x480.jpg (78.89K)
Number of downloads: 0

2020! :lol:
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#4673 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

View PostCheesewiz, on 01 February 2017 - 04:52 AM, said:

I get what y'all are saying. I read the thread everyday and am more concerned then actually type. I just won't give in to doom n gloom. It helps nothing. Stay positive that we will emerge. 2016 was shit in both choices imo. I don't think HRC woulda made good POTUS. I don't particularly like Trump in the role but realistically it was going to be her or him. I was backing Kasich till he dropped out. Hope is all I have at present but I'm clinging to it.

Well see that is where we disagree. I think that having a person who knows how government is suppose to work. Who also had experience at every high level of government would have made a much better POTUS then the orange monkey who signs things, and doesn't think about how anything will implemented nor who will be impacted.

If you wanted hope you should have voted for HRC. With Trump all we can expect is the absolute worst and pray that the momentuem that is building up against him will carry to 2018.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#4674 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 01:58 PM

Serious question, would the general masses ALLOW the US to turn into a Dictatorship?

Also, My PM continues to be awesome...and took on FOX News leaving a spurious and utterly false tweet up about the shooting in Quebec....after being contacted by letter form his office, FOX New balked and deleted the tweet.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4675 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:14 PM

Similar thoughts to QT.
In the modern world could the Us turn into a dictatorship as we understand the term?
Realistically I would think I no.
Can they doenough damage to the apparatus that a ensure republican. Hedgemony? Very possibly.
The problem really is, when Trump inevitably fucks up far enough to be removed. Pence steps in

#4676 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:28 PM

As an outside observer, before he got in to power I was of the opinion, yeah he's a dick but let's see how he manages to get on first...

Now though? It really does seem like he is getting lessons from Putin on how to set up a dictatorship...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4677 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 02:31 PM

Here's a memo sent out to Reuters staff about dealing with the Trump Administration. It's a pretty solid read, and speaks to allowing actual Journalism to weed through the nonsense and tactics. We'll see how the carry-through fares.

http://www.reuters.c...p-idUSKBN15F276
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4678 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:22 PM

There will be no dictatorship; US Military wouldn't allow it. Doesn't mean he won't do his best to tilt the playing field alarmingly towards his advantage, though.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4679 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

I think that anyone who has unlimited power and people who are willing to implement his commands over all others and any sworn allegiance can become a dictator. I do not think that it is possible here in the US. The military is sworn to the constitution not to the president. The federal judiciary is also sworn to the constitution. While the President can do a lot of damage to institutions if he actually made completely illegal and unconstitutional actions then he would be opposed. Our institutions are exceptionally strong when it comes to keeping their rights.

#4680 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 01 February 2017 - 04:00 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 01 February 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

There will be no dictatorship; US Military wouldn't allow it. Doesn't mean he won't do his best to tilt the playing field alarmingly towards his advantage, though.

View PostVengeance, on 01 February 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

I think that anyone who has unlimited power and people who are willing to implement his commands over all others and any sworn allegiance can become a dictator. I do not think that it is possible here in the US. The military is sworn to the constitution not to the president. The federal judiciary is also sworn to the constitution. While the President can do a lot of damage to institutions if he actually made completely illegal and unconstitutional actions then he would be opposed. Our institutions are exceptionally strong when it comes to keeping their rights.

One of us is a lawyer and the other is wordy as fuck... You decide who is who

Share this topic:

• 721 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

29 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 29 guests, 0 anonymous users